Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
What can I say ... diagnosed over 4 years ago , low carb diet for over 3 and now my Dr has said I'm no longer a diabetic . Great news I hear you shout but you know what I am diabetic , I may be in a sort of remission BUT to say that I'm no longer a diabetic isn't right .
I don't want to be told I'm not a diabetic , I've go no will power , I only do low carb because I don't want to feel **** and doing low carb stops me feeling ****.
I am proud that I have the knowledge and skills to control my BS, I also know that if I eat high carb for any length of time my BS spikes .
de193bfd2d8e97cb263fdfbd163ea03d.jpg
4e39b2918bf34e2ec778953bde15d176.jpg
73b07a4bc325dc64794baadde3f3bf7d.jpg

I've attached my project plan that some of you will already have seen . It works for me , I'm not saying that it will work for everyone though . Diabetes is very much an individual person specific condition.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
thanks for sharing... by the way you are amazing , remember to give yourself credit for you long hard work and focus... this is what has gotten you where you are and of cause the low carb eating style.. congratulations :):):):):):):):):)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Great news I hear you shout but you know what I am diabetic , I may be in a sort of remission BUT to say that I'm no longer a diabetic isn't right .
I don't want to be told I'm not a diabetic , I've go no will power , I only do low carb because I don't want to feel **** and doing low carb stops me feeling ****.
I am proud that I have the knowledge and skills to control my BS, I also know that if I eat high carb for any length of time my BS spikes .

Absolutely!

Reactions: ziggy_w
D

Deleted member 371625

Great stuff, I wish that my GP would say the same.
It has been 6 months now with readings all in the non diabetic range (mean FBG 4.5, all 2 hour pp readings under 6.0, usually under 5.0) with no meds at all. Even high carb meals like pasta or porridge appear to have little or no effect. HbA1c now 32.

However, apparently I am diabetic for life whatever readings I get. Nothing, of course, to do with extra cash GPs receive for diabetic patients,

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Congratulations @Jamrox on being no longer diabetic, even if it is just in your GP's opinion! :)
Perhaps you should amend your avatar description to delete the 'Insulin-dependent' to celebrate!

Reactions: Freema and ziggy_w

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Great stuff, I wish that my GP would say the same.
It has been 6 months now with readings all in the non diabetic range (mean FBG 4.5, all 2 hour pp readings under 6.0, usually under 5.0) with no meds at all. Even high carb meals like pasta or porridge appear to have little or no effect. HbA1c now 32.

However, apparently I am diabetic for life whatever readings I get. Nothing, of course, to do with extra cash GPs receive for diabetic patients,
I think it depends on your GP practice - my hba1c has been between 36 and 38 for over three years but I've been told by my DN that, once a diabetic always a diabetic whereas my work colleague had a hba1c of 40 for one year and was told that he was no longer diabetic.

Reactions: Freema and Prem51

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Thanks everyone . It's not easy , I've said a thousand times that I'm human and go off the rails . My Gran and Dad were both type 2 , they both ended up on insulin when they got older . I'm still diet and activity controlled.

I disagree with my GP , I am still a diet controlled diabetic person. I'm a sensible person who has knowledge of diabetes , my worry is for people who don't have my knowledge and get told the same thing , will they go back to old eating habits ?

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Have to say that I couldn't have controlled it without all the advice and support that I got /still get from the forum. I hope my project plan will help others , it does summarise the advice from here . I know the carb level will be higher than some can tolerate . When I started I stuck to below 60ish grams a day but found my own tolerance level.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks everyone . It's not easy , I've said a thousand times that I'm human and go off the rails . My Gran and Dad were both type 2 , they both ended up on insulin when they got older . I'm still diet and activity controlled.

I disagree with my GP , I am still a diet controlled diabetic person. I'm a sensible person who has knowledge of diabetes , my worry is for people who don't have my knowledge and get told the same thing , will they go back to old eating habits ?

Hi Jamrox - Great result.

I remember you doing your goal setting exercise a while back, and thinking how organised you are.

I have been removed from the diabetes register at my surgery. I didn't ask for it, but agreed to it, when it was suggested. To be honest, I agreed to it to stop all those outrageous conversations where the words, ".... that'll be due to your diabetes....", feature. You know the ones I mean - everything from a cold to the plague becoming attributable.

I still have an annual HbA1c, have my retinopathy scan, and have access to my doc and so on. The only thing I don't routinely have is a formal review, but I do that with myself from time to time, and nor do I have my feet checked. But I only once had had my feet checked during the time I was on the register, and I paid for that, just after diagnosis (I as going abroad for a few moths and wanted it done.)

I haven't found coming off the register has made me complacent, in fact, I might say it has done the reverse. Whilst the vast majority of people are either very pleased for me, or disinterested (in the scheme of things), some are just waiting for me to trip up and for it all to go terribly wrong. I'm sure we all have someone like that in our lives?

The last thing I'll be doing is proving them right, without a good fight!

Again congratulations on doing so well. Whilst I always say that diabetes isn't a solo sport (in that it inevitably impacts those close to us as well as ourselves), only we can do the work to turn in the results.

Reactions: Freema and Prem51

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Hi Jamrox - Great result.

I remember you doing your goal setting exercise a while back, and thinking how organised you are.

I have been removed from the diabetes register at my surgery. I didn't ask for it, but agreed to it, when it was suggested. To be honest, I agreed to it to stop all those outrageous conversations where the words, ".... that'll be due to your diabetes....", feature. You know the ones I mean - everything from a cold to the plague becoming attributable.

I still have an annual HbA1c, have my retinopathy scan, and have access to my doc and so on. The only thing I don't routinely have is a formal review, but I do that with myself from time to time, and nor do I have my feet checked. But I only once had had my feet checked during the time I was on the register, and I paid for that, just after diagnosis (I as going abroad for a few moths and wanted it done.)

I haven't found coming off the register has made me complacent, in fact, I might say it has done the reverse. Whilst the vast majority of people are either very pleased for me, or disinterested (in the scheme of things), some are just waiting for me to trip up and for it all to go terribly wrong. I'm sure we all have someone like that in our lives?

The last thing I'll be doing is proving them right, without a good fight!

Again congratulations on doing so well. Whilst I always say that diabetes isn't a solo sport (in that it inevitably impacts those close to us as well as ourselves), only we can do the work to turn in the results.

Congestion Moderator that's great . Yes I have people who would love me to slip up , why are people like that.
I still get people who automatically think it's all my fault too , even though my Gran and my Dad were type 2 and they ate reasonably healthy ( not a lot of processed food in their days).

Reactions: Freema

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Congestion Moderator that's great . Yes I have people who would love me to slip up , why are people like that.
I still get people who automatically think it's all my fault too , even though my Gran and my Dad were type 2 and they ate reasonably healthy ( not a lot of processed food in their days).

To be honest, Jamrox, some people like to see others trip up (odd, in a very sad way, but true), and some are envious when we have managed to achieve something and seem able to maintain it.

People are people, and rather than get down about it, I try to use those experiences to spur me on and stick with it. Thankfully those people are in the extreme minority, in my life anyway.

Who knows what curved balls life with throw us in the future, or how our bodies will age. There are lots of diabetics on my paternal side, as well as my brother, so I guess I had a bit of a starter for ten in the background.

Of course, there's not much any of us can do about the genetic/familial stuff, but knowledge os power and those things should help remind us of the risk we'll always have.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
@Jamrox Great going you are a star. But I have to agree with you on the remission thing.
My GP said to me and I have mentioned this before I know, his words were John at this moment you are not diabetic but you will always be a diabetic, so don't change what you have been doing. Wise words I think.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done @Jamrox. Both on your careful planning, then following the plan.

Oh and well done, too, for your realistic appraisal of your diabetic status.

Keep posting, and stay motivated, and, dare I say, motivating the rest of us.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Well done @Jamrox !

I'm going for throwing everything at it too but cannot do ND without assistance due to busy home life and distractions of 2 young children and ill partner.
My diabetes cannot wait for ND to be perfected, approved and supported countrywide.
Bariatric surgery is next best thing for me.

I'm going for low carb post op diet in the hopes of very little or no insulin.
On metformin for life, due to other IR conditions which endocrologist is happy to monitor.

Would you like to make me an action plan like yours?

I bet a few stages need one.
A book worth eh?

I bet maintenance one will be very valuable.

I'm right in thinking you never needed insulin injections, right?
Or your family?