Day One on Metformin

Feeling nervous ............. so after being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes some months back, I had a diabetes check with the nurse yesterday and due to being symptomatic, I have been prescribed Metformin tablets. 500mg once a day for a few weeks, and then increase to 2 tablets a day if the side effects are under control. I took the first tablet today and am feeling so nervous about them as I feel lousy. Literally 2 hours after taking the tablet, I had to dash to find the nearest toilet (sorry tmi!!) whilst out on a dog walk!!! and I only just made it without having a humiliating accident in public!! Since then I have had such a dry throat and a headache (might not be linked but no way to tell) and I feel tired and basically ******. Please someone tell me this will improve? This is no way to live if these side effects are long term. I know that some say that the slow release tablets are gentler on the system so how long should I wait for the side effects to wear off?

Feeling so anxious about it all.

Ps I have an anxiety disorder and controlled depression so am also on citalopram and the occasional propranolol.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That sounds almost disabling. You can't go on like that. How about contacting the nurse and explaining the problem. She may well tell you to persist but you can only do that if you can carry on your normal life. She may offer the SR version which is worth a try but loo hopping is something I would find unacceptable.

Diane60

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't think that I can help you at all. I too am having problems with Metformin at the moment and due to go toDocs next week.
First three months of Metformin was harsh on my stomach too......it did settle after the first week. I am now on slow release version. Stomach is much improved.
However, either the drugs or my LCHF diet are giving me dizzy spells, a foggy head, forgetfulness, and mood swings so bad, that I hate myself. I constantly feel anxious, as if some doom impending drama is about to happen, I stopped all medication three days ago and today is the first day I feel normal.
Talk to your GP if things don't settle down. I feel that I could possible manage my T2 with diet alone, but that may not be for you, or even what my doctor thinks is good.
Hope things improve. Keep us updated.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Welcome to the forum,

unfortunately we all have different experiences with metformin, some OK, some absolutely awful. If you feel that one 500mg has caused your experience today, rather than wait, ask for the Sustained Release version straight away. I tolerated the sort of symptom you've already experienced for 5 years and that was before SR/XR was available. Anxiety doesn't help matters and in my case the GP tried telling me I had IBS which strangely stopped the moment I stopped taking Metformin. I was told the side effects would only last a couple of weeks and in my case that was rubbish. I wish you all the best. Don't put up with it for too long.

Forgot to mention, as others have mentioned, lowering your carb intake will make a difference. I am taking Metformin again but avoid rice/past/potato/bread.

Last edited:

emyckatyn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I don't think that I can help you at all. I too am having problems with Metformin at the moment and due to go toDocs next week.
First three months of Metformin was harsh on my stomach too......it did settle after the first week. I am now on slow release version. Stomach is much improved.
However, either the drugs or my LCHF diet are giving me dizzy spells, a foggy head, forgetfulness, and mood swings so bad, that I hate myself. I constantly feel anxious, as if some doom impending drama is about to happen, I stopped all medication three days ago and today is the first day I feel normal.
Talk to your GP if things don't settle down. I feel that I could possible manage my T2 with diet alone, but that may not be for you, or even what my doctor thinks is good.
Hope things improve. Keep us updated.
I have been on Metformin for a couple of years now. I am finding that I am having issues with my stomach, especially if I take a full tablet. I am starting to look at other options with my doctor. Good luck.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. If the standard Metformin still causes bowel upset after a few weeks, ask the GP for the SR (Slow Release) version which is much kinder.

letstalk1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hopefully it gets better for you , I take a couple bites of food then my metformin then eat more food , I only get sweating off and on that dont last long , give it a chance - couple months to not effect you this way and may stop way sooner.

Hi all. Wasn't too bad yesterday but today is day 3 and feel dreadful. Feel like I have a stomach bug with nausea and bad stomach and tiredness. I am going to wait until Monday and ask to speak to the nurse. Do you think taking half with breakfast and half with tea would help adjust to metformin? Thanks all for your comments so far. Xx

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I think that you are even more sensitive to Metformin than I was.
My solution was to stop taking the tablets and eat low carb. I just did a random check of my blood glucose level and it was 5.6 so I think that I do not need medication.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Some are fine with the standard metformin my husband was from day one never had a problem with it. Me I took it for two weeks had really bad indigestion and bloating until I felt I would burst had it changed to the SR version but I can only take 500mg once a day more than that it takes my appetite away

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Most people find they are OK with metformin after a few days, lots of people find they are better if they don't eat any bread or simple carbs.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I lasted five weeks, low carb, tried taking the tablets with food, without food, before food, after food - nothing helped. It just got worse and worse until I became a total wreck with no quality of life - even my memory went - though I was taking a statin as well.