Newly diagnosed, eye focus!?!?

Devitt81

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello
I was diagnosed last week after feeling tired and under the weather on top of a 3st weight loss.
My A1C came back as an average of 19. I'm on 40mg of gliclazide twice a day which is to double if no improvement after a week and 500mg twice a day, increasing to 1000mgvtwice a day over the next week. If my bloods don't come
Down after that then I am to go on insulin .
I've cut right back on sugar and trying to stick to a low carb diet too.
My main question is, about 3 days after starting the metformin I can't focus on anything that is closer then an arms length. I have suffered from blury eyes over the past 6m or so mainly in the morning, but nothing to do with focus! Is it the tablets??

Thanks in advance.
Lisa x

Mark14400

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Lisa,
It is because Glucose that has built up in the lens of your eye due to diabetes is getting flushed out...I had the same thing shortly after going on Insulin...It doesn't last more than a few weeks..and is a common but distressing problem......I had to wear my Mum's Dame Edna Everage Specs to compensate....Not a good look at work.....Hope this helps....Mark

Last edited:
Reactions: Choosy

Devitt81

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Mark, hopefully it will subside soon then. It's quite distressing when you can't focus properly.
Might purchase some snazzy glasses to get me through!! .

Lisa x

Reactions: Mark14400