Consultant wants me to take statins, why ?

lindisfel

Expert
Low carb diets usually cause HDL to go up and trigs should drop. These are better markers of disease than LDL.
By reducing insulin by reducing carbs it should cause less inflammation.
If you use YOU TUBE look up the FAT EMPORER video for April 17 it will give you a lot of insight.
Derek

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Thank you but it was the scientific source I was referring to not the manufacturers information. In an ideal world all data sources would be reliable and trustworthy but I still like to have sources with a view to cross referencing.
Guess that is all part of Dr Mercolas 900 studies.

blueridge

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Hi, I am currently being seen by the diabetic consultant at my local hospital in an attempt to prevent me having to take insulin. All is going well, however, she has just written to my GP saying I should be taking statins if I am not already on them. Why would this be as my chloresterol levels are ok. I was on statins for a while in 2008 when first diagnosed but was taken off them when my cholesterol levels normalised. What do you think ? , all comments appreciated.
Best advice - avoid statins like the plague. Whilst doctors seem intent on having everybody in the world take them at some point, valid research has shown that they really should only be prescribed for those with a history of cardiac events and stroke. Giving statins to an otherwise healthy person is, according to very reputable research, firstly totally unnecessary and secondly dangerous. Statins cause muscle weakness, liver enzyme issues, cognitive impairment, in some cases type 2 diabetes can be triggered and some research has shown that in healthy females can actually cause heart problems. Please avoid them if you can and certainly don't take them if the HDL/LDL differential is satisfactory - they will reduce HDL to unhealthy levels.

nailchewer

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Negativity
There is a policy that everyone at risk of heart disease should be on statins. As diabetes increases the risk of heart disease, this includes people with diabetes.
However, this is based on unfit people and there is no research for active, otherwise healthy people. For example, I was offered statins as I have type 1 diabetes, despite having a healthy bmi and exercise daily. I declined.

I agree with the above, i was on statins and had problems with cramping got legs, toes and difficulty sometimes in walking up hill. I am fit and work my allotment, swim, and generally for 67 am very active. My GP took a cholesterol check before and after stopping and said i was right to stop my readings now are normal and were very low before. The cramps, which they said were diabetic related neuropathy have gone, we are now 18 months on and i still have a 6 month cholesterol check and my gp said you do not need statins. Keep up the good diet and exercise. My movements now are so flexible i have been able to take on two more gardening jobs!

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Flicey

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I took statins for years and had awful insomnia and my brain was in a fugue. I could not understand why my thinking was fuzzy. Then, I started to read many, many books about the side effects of statins. I even read about the damage they to on a cellular level. I worked out a sensible plan to step down taking so many, then completely stopped. I think it took a year before I was back to my old self. Recently they said my triglycerides were up but then my glucose levels are up too, and the two go together hand in hand . I said I would never ever take a station as they were dangerous. I am now trying the low car diet and find the pounds dropping off and my fasting levels overnight have also dropped considerably. Am now aiming to help them drop in the day as well.

Brewers23

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The great cholesterol con by Dr. Malcolm Kendrick is a good starting point, as is his blog. I stopped taking my statin 4 months ago and my Hba1c has improved slightly over the subsequent months, I'm also trying to reduce my carbohydrates at the same time. There is at least one paper that suggests statins do not raise blood sugar levels or trigger diabetes in those who are susceptible, however the authors were receiving grants from the manufacturer and (at the time) patent holders. At the end of the day it is YOUR decision whether to take any medication or not, it is NOT the decision of any physician irrespective of whether they're newly registered F1 or a consultant. Statins appear to reduce inflammation, but that is not the reason they're prescribed.

kelvin45

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liver
Unfortunately this is a N.I.C.E. policy that has been in force for several years, As has already been mentioned because of the increased risk of Heart attack and Strokes it is now strongly suggested that all diabetics should be routinely treated with Statins. if you have worries or concerns then in the first instance talk to your GP.

grabarry

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Don't be frightened of taking statins, the first thing to do ignore the armchair Dr's, remember there are several different types of Statins, if you suffer any side effects from one brand change to a different brand and try that and so until you find one that does not give you any side effects.
Your Dr will give you annual kidney and liver tests if these things prevent Atherosclerosis then that has to be a good thing for you.

Reactions: Kim Possible

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Do not touch statins with a barge-pole! The benefits have been over-hyped and the risks understated. The benefits are always quoted in relative risk, the risks are always quoted in absolute risk - the effect of this is exaggerating benefits and underplaying risks, a technique regularly employed by pharmaceutical companies. Read, read, read! Lots of good references here already, Malcolm Kendrick, Zoe Harcombe, Prof Ken Sikaris, many many others, questioning the science /dogma led by industry sponsored people.

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
My father was put on Statins and Aspirin in his 70s and eventually had a bad stomach bleed (from the Aspirin) in a French loo in Versailles. When the doctor was told by my brother what medication my father was on, he looked up to his forehead and almost spat "Oh, le gateau anglais." I was put on Pravastatin in my 40s, having been Type 1 since the age of 11 months. After some years of muscle pain, I was put on to Simvastatin, but I reacted as soon as the weather got hot, and came out in a triple body rash. The epidermologist said that I was never to touch Statins again since I was obviously allergic. Within a day and a bit, the rash started to calm down, and I've had nothing like since 2011. Ironically, I had a kidney/pancreas transplant 4 years ago this Sunday (13/08/13) and I was informed that amongst other drugs such as immuno-suppressants, I would be on...... Aspirin and Statins! Er no.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I think insulin resistance causes more inflammation than the benefit of statins to people with good cholesterol levels. So reducing IR is more beneficial than reduced inflammation, and only for some, when using a statin.

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
Best advice - avoid statins like the plague. Whilst doctors seem intent on having everybody in the world take them at some point, valid research has shown that they really should only be prescribed for those with a history of cardiac events and stroke. Giving statins to an otherwise healthy person is, according to very reputable research, firstly totally unnecessary and secondly dangerous. Statins cause muscle weakness, liver enzyme issues, cognitive impairment, in some cases type 2 diabetes can be triggered and some research has shown that in healthy females can actually cause heart problems. Please avoid them if you can and certainly don't take them if the HDL/LDL differential is satisfactory - they will reduce HDL to unhealthy levels.
You rightly mention the possible side effects of statins but they are only that - possible side effects. Try not to get too sensationalist. The risk of a person with type two diabetes getting diabetes ??? Again, they do not always reduce HDL to unhealthy levels.

Reactions: Kim Possible

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/its-not-dementia-its-your-heart-medication/ An interesting article.

Looking at this forum, the statin naysayers would appear to be right in terms of the number of posts from people who have alleged side effects. Of course, we are far less likely to hear from all the people who take statins with no side effects but now have good cholesterol levels. One of those people is me and I have been taking them since I took part in the Anglo Scandinavian Coronary Outcomes Trial - many years!

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I think statins led to my T2.
I don't touch them anymore.
Porridge and a high fat diet hacve lowered the bad and raised the good cholesterol so I no longer need such toxic stuff.

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
What is the evidence that statins caused your diabetes?