Taking multivitamins

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It all depends how many and whether you need them. With some vitamins and minerals you can have too much, and that can be as bad as too few. This applies to everyone, not just diabetics. There is no reason why diabetics shouldn't take vitamin supplements if they need them. Plenty do.

Reactions: Freema

Bumpyswife_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bad manners
Hi I take vitamins because of my thyroid and i'm also type 2 diabetic not come to any harm yet so I guess it's okay but would welcome others input .:)

Reactions: Freema and Prem51

biren1973

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is anyone taking any multivitamins in this forum? If yes, any recommendations? I have a feeling that diabetes should take multivitamins due to diet restrictions, but I may be completely wrong too.

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I take a multi-vitamin every day - and gluso something for joints as well as a benacol to help manage my Cholesterol.
I have a very close friend with a science degree who continually berates them as a complete waste of time - but I am not so sure so I continue to take them and have for 15 years at least 14 of which I wasn't diabetic.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Is anyone taking any multivitamins in this forum? If yes, any recommendations? I have a feeling that diabetes should take multivitamins due to diet restrictions, but I may be completely wrong too.

It is personal choice. A low carb diet doesn't have to be deficient in vitamins, especially if you eat dairy, fish and meat in addition to the vegetables. If you feel you are deficient in some area, ask for vitamin tests next time you have your HbA1c.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I was prescibed vitD by the GP and I am going to take a vitD supplement during the winter months.
After learning that Metformin disrupts vitB12 absorption I plan to ask for a blood test to determine if I am deficient. As has been said, a varied low carb diet shouldn't pose any deficiencies.

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Here's how I see it. I know which vitamins I'm deficient in (Iron, Vitamin D, Magnesium, Calcium) - I take a supplement for Vitamin D because it needs to be such a high dosage to get my levels up that I couldn't achieve that with diet and sunshine and whatever alone (plus I'm not really in a position to get out and about for a stroll at the moment). The rest I'm working on through diet. I can't take iron tablets. I mean, I can but I get such wicked IBS on them (any kind) that I'd rather deal with anaemia!

Since starting a low-carb (and I think this is probably true of most types of diet), I'm eating far more fresh, unprocessed foods, so am getting a far better quality diet - which means far more nourishment. I've increased my veggie intake, have cut out "stodge" - so no more bloaty foods taking up Quality Time with my gut flora. I feel fairly confident that, as long as I continue to maintain a "healthy" balanced (low-carb) diet (a simple variety of veg, meat, fish and dairy - I'm impossibly lazy so this is a zero-effort regime) my next round of bloods will show my iron, magnesium and calcium levels returning to normal - apparently it's quite common for T2's to have these get a bit wonky, as well as slightly wonky Liver Function Test results.

But on top of that:

http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/heal.../is-there-really-any-benefit-to-multivitamins

You can ask for your vitamin levels to be taken - it's common for diabetics to have slightly wonky levels, as I said, but they straighten out as your diet becomes more suited to what your body needs.

Yes, it's personal choice, but I prefer to spend my money on some nice olive oil and a good cut of meat.

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I'll only take Vitamin D during the winter months mostly due to lack of sunlight. Any other time I don't. Looking at my nutritional intake I don't think Vitamins are needed or at least I've never had a reason to think I need them. Looking back on things no one in my family takes vitamins either.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Is it safe to take multivitamins for diabetes patients?

Can't imagine a Mult-Vit would be harmful, unless you've been told otherwise.

I take a Cod Liver Oil supplement and have done for 25+years, nothing to do with having diabetes as it was recommended to me by a consultant after an accident where I suffered broken bones.

Not sure that all diabetics need to take multivitamins, if the diet is restrictive then there's possibly a need to do so.

Reactions: Prem51

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I take a multivitamin, an Omega-3 capsule, a vitamin D capsule, a vitamin B complex, and a Magnesium complex capsule daily.
I don't know if I actually need them, but I don't think they do me any harm.

letstalk1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
My DN suggested Alive multi vitamin and minerals I take 1 a day , and she T1 takes them also.

Reactions: Prem51

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I take high strength vitamin D three times a week (I don't make enough of my own, and had the worst deficiency my GP had seen this time last year).
Recently started taking magnesium supplement.
I don't really use multi vitamins on a regular basis, but I do supplement Vitamin C by using Camu Camu powder in an iced green latte that I make and drink three times a week.