Whats the most important thing you have learned along the way of your Type2?

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
These are some of important things I have learned since being diagnosed with type 2 ...
  1. A LCHF diet is more effective than metformin in lowering blood sugar
  2. Cut out breakfast cereals, bread, potatoes, rice, pasta, fruit juice and fruit such as bananas and grapes
  3. Get a glucose meter to check which foods spike your blood sugar
  4. Intermittent fasting is good to lower blood sugar and improve your general health

Reactions: OrsonKartt

letstalk1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
These are some of important things I have learned since being diagnosed with type 2 ...
  1. A LCHF diet is more effective than metformin in lowering blood sugar
  2. Cut out breakfast cereals, bread, potatoes, rice, pasta, fruit juice and fruit such as bananas and grapes
  3. Get a glucose meter to check which foods spike your blood sugar
  4. Intermittent fasting is good to lower blood sugar and improve your general health
Yes and I had to cut grapes out which hurt a couple days because I really missed them but now not at all of course.

janrat68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
what have i learnt erm quite a lot from this forum rather than from gp et all including the silly course i went on a few weeks ago im always learning but main thing is to be senseable with myself

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
One thing that I have learned is that no matter how much you think you know and how much control you seem to have, diabetes will still manage to find a way to surprise you.

Complacency is not something I can afford.

mariavontrapp

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Great question! Most important things I have learned are:
1. After 50 years of thinking I couldn't possibly survive without loads of carbs, I find that I can survive on very few
2. As others have said - this forum is way more helpful than the doctor/nurse (though obviously in other situations they are going to save your life - thank you NHS workers)
3. A short walk can lower my bg levels quite easily
4. I am not a machine or a statistic, so sometimes glucose levels just don't do what I expect. And sometimes I just mess up!

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For me it is being moderate in what I eat rather than low. No rice or pasta.. have never liked them.. no sugar stuff, cereal, potatoes or bread most of the time but I will have a small portion sometimes no red meat and a mix of full and low fat dairy

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
A LCHF diet is more effective than metformin in lowering blood sugar

But both work even better when combined if you don't get the **** side effects from the metformin. Add short walks and resistance training to get even quicker results. But without LCHF nothing else will help much.

Reactions: letstalk1

Glenmac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The most important things I have learnt to date are..........
1. Carbs become sugar.....so low carbs for me!
2.Eat to your meter.
3.Everyone is different,so my experience of low carb may be different and the rate of changes in weight and BS will be my rate
4.With the above in mind ........I will be encouraged by others achievements not discouraged.
5.This forum is able to give me most of the information I need.
6.The most important aim for me is to have few spikes in BS levels..............so if this means continuing with some medication to achieve as near non diabetic levels as possible that's ok.Remembering it's a marathon not a sprint for me!

Reactions: ringi

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've learnt that people who've been there and done that are soooooooo supportive, finding this forum has been my saviour and meant that my weight and HbA1c have both dropped dramatically. My family are very supportive too but don't REALLY understand how I feel like you lovely folk :happy:

letstalk1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I've learnt that people who've been there and done that are soooooooo supportive, finding this forum has been my saviour and meant that my weight and HbA1c have both dropped dramatically. My family are very supportive too but don't REALLY understand how I feel like you lovely folk :happy:
Same here.

Reactions: Rachox

letstalk1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
The most important things I have learnt to date are..........
1. Carbs become sugar.....so low carbs for me!
2.Eat to your meter.
3.Everyone is different,so my experience of low carb may be different and the rate of changes in weight and BS will be my rate
4.With the above in mind ........I will be encouraged by others achievements not discouraged.
5.This forum is able to give me most of the information I need.
6.The most important aim for me is to have few spikes in BS levels..............so if this means continuing with some medication to achieve as near non diabetic levels as possible that's ok.Remembering it's a marathon not a sprint for me!
Encouraged for sure.

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
I would really like to know.
I have learned in the past 9 years of diabetes that any information I really need I get from this website and the internet.

O

oh_dear_me

My journey is still pretty new having been diagnosed in April this year.
I have learnt that the LCHF diet has had an amazing result for me from an HbA1C of 109 to 52 in just 3 months....I ate too many carbs before!
I have also read anything and everything I can lay my hands on.
I got myself a blood glucose meter.
Fasting on the 16.8 diet seems to be good for me.
I'm slowly learning not to panic if I want to go out and eat a meal that isn't LCHF! I'll be ok and can revert back to the diet the next day and I will survive the occasional cream tea on holiday...you have to live don't you ;)
Also that this is pretty tough going at times and it's ok to feel fed up with it all!

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
My journey is still pretty new having been diagnosed in April this year.
I have learnt that the LCHF diet has had an amazing result for me from an HbA1C of 109 to 52 in just 3 months....I ate too many carbs before!
I have also read anything and everything I can lay my hands on.
I got myself a blood glucose meter.
Fasting on the 16.8 diet seems to be good for me.
I'm slowly learning not to panic if I want to go out and eat a meal that isn't LCHF! I'll be ok and can revert back to the diet the next day and I will survive the occasional cream tea on holiday...you have to live don't you ;)
Also that this is pretty tough going at times and it's ok to feel fed up with it all!

oh-dear-me, I think you are doing very well. I would predict though that in the first year it is a "Honeymoon" period. As the years go by, the pancreas may not be as robust, and a higher blood glucose is necessarily higher and better for your health too as hypoglycemia is quite dangerous. As for your diet I will have to look at that. I suppose I am a bit naughty as I eat carbs but not many carbs.

Take care.

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
oh-dear-me, I think you are doing very well. I would predict though that in the first year it is a "Honeymoon" period. As the years go by, the pancreas may not be as robust, and a higher blood glucose is necessarily higher and better for your health too as hypoglycemia is quite dangerous. As for your diet I will have to look at that. I suppose I am a bit naughty as I eat carbs but not many carbs.

Take care.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I have found that every time I think I understand what is going on I find something else I don't understand.

Also that I am special. As for example in "on LCHF most people see a drop in cholesterol" but I am not like everyone else.

Also that, in the end, you just gotta laugh.

miszu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry for interrupting, I am Type 1, didnt find a thread like this on T1 forum part, but just want to say that what I learnt is that I am a fighter. Hard to cope with diabetes, everyone whos doing it is a real fighter !

I did not say any useful tips here, but just hope all are doing great ! :))

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That diabetes is a formidable opponent, will not back down, always lurking in the background.
That I am the only one going it keep it down. I can glean info about management from many sources, but ultimately I am the one who discerns which advice is relevant to me and my individual circumstances, and I have to choose my own pathway through management of it all.

letstalk1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I have also learned stress can rule it all , and I must continually pick my battles to waste my energy on and be sure its worth it which is a good thing , way less bothers me when I know it needs to be worth my time and energy.

JohnnyBaker87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
I have Asperger Syndrome which is an autism spectrum condition and a full diagnosis of Adult ADHD which are characterised by impairments in social communication, social interaction and social imagination. I also have a rigid and somewhat unpredictable routine. I also experience obsessive rituals, some a bit overwhelming. But I have a talent in articulate creative writing skills and possess a photographic rote memory. I have sensory sensitivity and get upset by loud noises, bright colours or lights, and notice the texture and consistency of certain foods more making my dietary choices extremely limited or restricted to certain food components. I dislike conflict and lies. The Adult ADHD also makes me very moody and cross.
The most important thing I've learned since being diagnosed Type 2 is to take care of my health, try to increase activity levels and try to achieve the LCHF diet although I love my carbs. I have extremely limited dietary choices due to sensory sensitivity in my Asperger Syndrome but I would like to aim to keep carbs at a minimum and achieve the LCHF diet.

From Johnny with my best wishes. x.