seriously desperate

freelance52

Hi.
After completing 4 weeks of low carbing, I am now seriously desperate for some help.
Started with 2 weeks at 20gms and lost over 8lbs but ketosis slowed and virtually ceased towards the end of week 2. Last 2 weeks at 25gms, ketosis very variable, sometimes seems to be moderate-high, other times non-existant. Have eaten tuna, salmon, chicken, bacon, eggs, fresh cream with abandon, along with carefully weighed and measured amounts of lettuce, cauliflower, petit pois and crackers (high fibre).
Last week I gained over 1 lb and this week I have gained over 4 lbs! What am I doing wrong?
This week I have been to the pool 4 times, swimming 40 lengths each time.
I don't think I am drinking enough and I feel so full and bloated most of the time so that I am only eating twice a day: usually bacon and egg for breakfast and then a 'salad' around 7.00pm.
From the posts and info on this site, I thought that low carbing would be the answer to all my prayers: everyone seems to lose weight so easily on this regime. My BS have certainly improved, going from 17.9 at the start to around 7-8 now. I take pioglitazone 45mgs and glicaprine 4 mgs.
Can someone please help me out here? Thanks.

gefmayhem

Dislikes
salad
Hi
I'm no expert so hopefully you will get a better answer shortly.
But remember that the swimming will increase your muscles and muscle is heavier that fat.

Last time I did serious exercise, my weight stayed roughly the same but my body dimensions reduced as the fat went.
It might be worth measuring your biceps, thighs, chest, bum and stomach and see if these measurements reduce.
Also a few pounds variance can be caused by error in scales, weighing at different times of day etc.

The main thing is your BS reading are so much better.

Keep it up and well done

Patch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Keeping your BG down should be motivation enough - I wouldn't worry too much at this time about the weight falling off. And you'll definitely be gaining lean muscle from the swimming.

Might be a good idea to cut the frequency of your weigh in's. Once a fortnigt, maybe. Don't forget, your weight varies from day-to-day, and even at different tines of the day.

You can rest assured, though, that if your BG levels are high, you're less likely to lose weight...

It may sound crazy, but try eating MORE. There is a thread around here called "Why lo-carb has to be high fat". It was a pretty lively discussion, worth tracking down.

jaykay

Don't weigh yourself every day, you'll drive yourself loopy!! My weight can go up and down by up to 8lb in a day. Drove me nuts till my friend said weigh yourself once a week. Since then I can deffo see the reduction over all. And on low carbs it seems to make a HUGE difference if you eat the 'wrong thing'. We've just come back from Holland where I had a little bread each day to make up for not being able to get the kind of stuff I normally eat. I put on 3 kgs in 3 days! 6 days later on my usual low carbing and I've lost the 3 I originally put on, plus another 2. Keep the faith! ( oh and check that there aren't any hidden carbs in any diet drinks you're having-I got caught like that!)

anniep

For women their weight can change a lot during their menstrual cycle, I can go up or down by 7lb over the course of a month.

And yes as suggested maybe youare not eating enough to loose weight, it may sound daft but eating too litlle can stop weight loss.

freelance52

Thanks to all of you for those helpful and supportive replies. Perhaps I am not eating enough, so I'll up the carbs to 30gms this week and see where that takes me. On a more positive and philosophical note: I've been battling the weight for 42 years, so a few more weeks is really not too long to give something my best shot. I'll let you know how things are when I get weighed again next week. Spent the day at my embroidery group, never mentioned food/weight/diabetes once; got very inspired to do something 'creative' so am feeling a bit more upbeat tonight. Thanks again to all of you.

jaykay

Hey Freelance. Very good idea to do something creative like embroidery. Not only does it keep your hands busy, I never want to eat while I'm sewing in case I get food on my masterpiece :D

adm

Keep the faith!

If you are swimming 4 times a week, then you will be building lean muscle mass whilst losing fat.

I swim and cycle myself, and despite having lost nearly 20kg since May, my weight loss has slowed over the last couple of months. However - I am still losing fat, just replacing it with muscle. At one point, it went up a couple of pounds and plateau'ed for a couple of weeks, then it started to decrease slowly again.

Don't starve yourself - as others have said you need to eat well to make sure you aren't hungry.

As for the weighing, if you do weigh yourself daily, then make sure to do it at the same time each day. I normally do it first thing in the morning "empty" :D That way it's pretty consistent. A mug of tea after that increases my weight by a pound....(big mug!)

Patch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
DON'T UP YOUR CARB INTAKE!!! You definitely won't lose weight if you increase your carb intake on a lo-carb diet.

If you're hungry, eat more protein/fat/veg.