My latest trial!

A new man

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all

It has been (ahem!) At least two years probably since I last posted but here goes!

I found Dr Fung online and it all made such sense I did a 47 hour day fast the next day. I followed up with 2 days of skipping breakfast, late lunch (3pm) and dinner by 7pm. I reduced my insulin from 12 units twice daily (already down from 20 units twice daily (which may as well have been water for all the good it was doing!) following low carb) to 8 units am and 6 units pm but unfortunately the 6 units in the evening was too much. I didnt dare go to bed with a 3.7 reading so had to eat a bag of crisps!

Today I decided to try no insulin and only one meal (dinner). My blood sugar came down throughout the day from 6.5 to 4.8 before dinner and I was somewhat nervous when I tested after spaghetti Bolognese (courgetti not pasta) which had carrots onions and tins of tomatoes in followed by strawberries and full fat yoghurt.

I needn't have worried as my reading went up to 5.3 after 1 hour or so and then back to 4.8 within 2 hours or so.

I am crossing my fingers and toes that this is not a fluke and have already planned when next week's 47 hour fast will be!

By the way I have been type 2 diabetic for 18 years increasing my tablets over the years until I reached the dreaded insulin in 2014 which I wad told was the usual almost inevitable outcome!

Sent from my SM-A510F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Reactions: Prem51 and Guzzler

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hi all

It has been (ahem!) At least two years probably since I last posted but here goes!

I found Dr Fung online and it all made such sense I did a 47 hour day fast the next day. I followed up with 2 days of skipping breakfast, late lunch (3pm) and dinner by 7pm. I reduced my insulin from 12 units twice daily (already down from 20 units twice daily (which may as well have been water for all the good it was doing!) following low carb) to 8 units am and 6 units pm but unfortunately the 6 units in the evening was too much. I didnt dare go to bed with a 3.7 reading so had to eat a bag of crisps!

Today I decided to try no insulin and only one meal (dinner). My blood sugar came down throughout the day from 6.5 to 4.8 before dinner and I was somewhat nervous when I tested after spaghetti Bolognese (courgetti not pasta) which had carrots onions and tins of tomatoes in followed by strawberries and full fat yoghurt.

I needn't have worried as my reading went up to 5.3 after 1 hour or so and then back to 4.8 within 2 hours or so.

I am crossing my fingers and toes that this is not a fluke and have already planned when next week's 47 hour fast will be!

By the way I have been type 2 diabetic for 18 years increasing my tablets over the years until I reached the dreaded insulin in 2014 which I wad told was the usual almost inevitable outcome!

Your post has cheered me up, no end.
Well done and I'm sure this will end well. :)
I'm more jubilant because you are a type2 on insulin more than 10yrs. That is a huge achievement.
Brilliant! :) :) :)

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds like you are back on track. Congratulations!

Reactions: Prem51

A new man

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Not quite such good results over the last 2 days - usually starting first thing at 6.5-6.8 then up towards 7.5 before coming back down (yesterday to 4.8 before dinner and back to 4.8 within 2 hours).

Today it has only got down to 5.9 by 2pm and I am due to have a meal at 3pm (trying to do a sort of 19:5 type fast today rather than just the one meal I did yesterday) so we will see where we are tonight but probably higher than previously!

I assume any injected insulin from 12th August would now be out of my system hence this is me and the Metformin only which may explain the increase - other reason could be dawn phenomenon I suppose!

Next 47 hour fast to come starting on Wednesday night after my evening meal, through to Friday evening meal (if I can manage it)

I am quite hungry today but I presume if I hadn't already decided to eat a late lunch I would have been able to power through!

Still - the scales show I have lost 7lbs in a week (unfortunately I didn't check my body fat at the start of the week but I have lost 1.2% body fat over the last couple of days)!

Reactions: Prem51 and kokhongw

dm2-one

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Started my second 47 hour fast today and it is proving more difficult than last week - can't wait til bedtime to come so I can get on to day 2! On the plus side no insulin taken since 12th August and not had a blood sugar reading over 7.5 yet!

Congratulations ! I think you are doing a great job. Once we awake from the soporific view of the doctors "You have dm, go and take your pills", then many things are possible. Would love to see how you manage to reverse your diabetes! Because I know you will do it, all the way to normal levels !

Reactions: Prem51

A new man

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks dm2-one here's hoping!

I am not far off finishing my fast (4 hours) and blood levels consistently 4.6 to 4.8 since last night (no dawn phenomenon when I haven't eaten the night before!)

Even forgot to take my Metformin last night but it made no difference (presumably as no good to deal with!)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I think there is some information on the metformin patient information leaflet ( or there used to be) warning about taking it when on a very low calorie diet ( and I think we can safely say that fasting counts as very low calorie). So you were probably lucky not to have taken it last night as I believe it can bring on 'tummy issues '.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am not far off finishing my fast (4 hours) and blood levels consistently 4.6 to 4.8 since last night (no dawn phenomenon when I haven't eaten the night before!)

You have just discovered that fasting helps to give us T2D normal glucose level :D

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The next surprise may be that fats don't really raise our glucose level as well...the magic of fats and fasting...
That's roast pork belly(lunch) and peppery pork rib soup (dinner)

Breakfast was cheese, crackers and dark chocolates...

upload_2017-8-18_22-52-19.png

Reactions: Speedbird

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Even forgot to take my Metformin last night but it made no difference (presumably as no good to deal with!)

Metformin has very little short term effect its main benfit seems to be a long term reduct in insulin insenitivty. Hence for most people time of doses etc don't change much. I am OK taking it when fasting, but would just not take it if I was not.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I did a couple of weeks on a personal zero carb experiment recently and found that Metformin had the same affect on my tummy as it did when I first started taking it years ago - and mine is the slow release version. That's when someone on this forum mentioned about the warning on the Patient Information Leaflet (PIL) about not taking it when on a very low calorie diet which my zero carb one turned out to be (once you added up all the meat calories it was surprising how few I was eating).

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It may be becouse Metformin had no effect on my tummy apart from the first day I took it....... But given the choose between Metformin or losing a lot of weight, losing the weight must be the best option.

A new man

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok can somebody please explain how I just got a 2.6 blood sugar when I am only taking Metformin I thought that wasn't possible ?

I can't fast tonight now !

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Ok can somebody please explain how I just got a 2.6 blood sugar when I am only taking Metformin I thought that wasn't possible ?

Anyone can get low BG, the important bit is that as you are not taking any meds that prevent your body from increasing your BG, your body will just sort it out. (That is assuming you are not on top of a hill wet and in a cold wind etc.)

There is no medical need to add carbs when your BG is low unless you are feeling unwell or on drugs like insulin (or that forces your body to make more insulin).