Severe itching and soreness

Provider14

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi All,

I've been on Metformin SR for about two months now since being diagnosed with T2 in mid June.
I've had no real lasting problems with stomach upsets apart from when I first started taking them.

The problem that I do have however is severe itching and soreness and cracked painful skin in my
groin area. I also have occasional random itching on my scalp elbows and hands. I have never had
problems like this before and the symptoms are very distracting and highly irritating.

Over the weekend I stopped taking my Metformin and the symptoms eased considerably. My BG also
started to rise so I've gone back to taking half my dose which is now 500mg morning and night.

My LCHF diet is working well and I'm steadily reducing my weight without any real effort. I'm putting
my skin irritation down to the fact that I'm now taking and meds, and I'm considering asking for an
alternative to Metformin.

I'd be grateful if anyone could let me know if they've also experienced these symptoms and if a change
in medication helped in any way.

Many thanks

Reddog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I had really itchy shins just above the ankles, so bad I felt like I could scratch the skin off, drove my crazy.

I then got some p45 cream to keep moisturised , i no longer have the iching?.

Reactions: Provider14

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Back to GP for that. They could be linked but impossible to know

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It might be worthwhile trying normal metformin, if you haven't already done so. Some people have issues with the extended release components of the medication.

KathyCP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
really bad itching and cracked skin when i was first diagnosed, my GP gave me dermol which worked like magic.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I know metformin is made very very cheaply. Maybe something in the tablet drying out your skin. However if I stop metformin I get greasy, spotty skin. All hormonal excretions which my metformin blocks and welcomed by pcos sufferers.
You may not have a hormonal disturbance to justify metformin. Its bg benefits are small compared to it's hormonal and IR support.

If I had to guess it could be a form of psoriasis your suffering but gp needs to diagnose not a forum. I will tag @Liam1955 who has experience with something similiar but from dapagliflozin tablet not metformin tablets. Unless metformin mixing ingredients has been cheapened due to demand? Only pharmaceutical companies can tell you that!

Provider14

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It might be worthwhile trying normal metformin, if you haven't already done so. Some people have issues with the extended release components of the medication.

Thanks for the info Indy 51.

I'll have a chat with the Nurse Practioner later this week and hopefully get my Metformin changed to the normal type.

Hopefully this might do the trick!!

Reactions: Liam1955

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the info Indy 51.

I'll have a chat with the Nurse Practioner later this week and hopefully get my Metformin changed to the normal type.

Hopefully this might do the trick!!
I wish I'd tried the normal version before trying the SR - but got control of my BG without either after having to stop the SR.

If you can convince your GP to prescribe Glucophage (the original metformin), you might do even better - Dr Bernstein is adamant that the original drug is much better than any of the generic versions.

Reactions: Barrowbakers

Provider14

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had really itchy shins just above the ankles, so bad I felt like I could scratch the skin off, drove my crazy.

I then got some p45 cream to keep moisturised , i no longer have the iching?.

Thanks Reddog,

This itching is driving me nuts (and irritating them too!!)

If it's just a case of P45 cream then it'll be job done and I'll stay on the medication.

I'm only a couple of months into taking tablets daily and testing my BG so I suppose it's still early days for me.

I really appreciate all of the comments and support that I'm getting from the forum :)

Reactions: ickihun

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
@Provider14

What we are here for :) Hopefully all bases covered and you'll get to the cause

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Hi @Provider14 - The itchy skin could well be due to taking Metformin, it is just one of the many side effects that some people can suffer with. I think you are being sensible applying E45.
Definitely go back and see your GP and/or Diabetes Nurse as there are other Diabetic Medications that can be prescribed.

Reactions: ickihun

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I wish I'd tried the normal version before trying the SR - but got control of my BG without either after having to stop the SR.

If you can convince your GP to prescribe Glucophage (the original metformin), you might do even better - Dr Bernstein is adamant that the original drug is much better than any of the generic versions.
Bariatric patients are given original ones only after op too. With half the intestine patients the SR lingers too long in the system maybe contributing to a blockage, at times? Maybe.
Diabetics with slow digestion may benefit from original metformin too?

letstalk1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Did you itch and yeast thing before your DX and Metformin ?
This is what happens with me , I was horribly itchy full body and a yeast thing before my dx I myself think metformin has nothing to do with either, if my blood sugar-glucose is above normal the itchy and yeast thing come back for me ,when I stay in my range the itch and yeast are gone I think it is totaly related to what I eat and where my reading is because of it. I hope you get it figured out soon.

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
@Provider14 You could also think of trying an antihistamine if you think it's drug related, to tide you over until appointment.

Edit: Spelling