Has anyone ever had a fasting insulin test on the NHS?

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can you tell me where the ideal normal ranges can be found? There seems to be some confusion, and there are different measurement units knocking about when you search for answers. The majority of the sites I've looked at say under 25mIU/L or under 174 pmol/L. Who says it should be under 6?

I've seen the number of under 6 in a few places -
for example Dr Bernstein in his books

Dr Mercola ( http://fitness.mercola.com/sites/fi...vitamin-d-and-blood-test-health-factors.aspx_
http://fitness.mercola.com/sites/fi.../vitamin-d-and-blood-test-health-factors.aspx

My understanding of this is that the "Normal" ranges used in blood tests is based on an average of the population where the average population is eating a high carb diet and thus is actually processing a lot of glucose for which they will need a high level of insulin to cope with it.

Conversely if you don't eat carbs, you need much less insulin ( including T1's who inject) so therefore your body settles on much lower numbers.

8 of the people in the Noakes study had figures under 6 reflecting and they were the one's that were effectively in " remission" i.e. their body was not having to do anything special anywhere to control blood sugars

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Very impressed with these guys again..New testing kit arrived this morning so just have to make appointment at phlebotomists at local(ish) hospital for blood draw.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@bulkbiker

Do you know if it has to be drawn at one of their listed places, or can you take it to be drawn at your own surgery and then post it off as normal?

Vegman1441

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Just wondering if anyone has ever managed to get one of these. I'm interested to see what my fasting insulin level is but have just been informed by my surgery that this test os not available on the NHS and ... wait for it.. the Diabetes Nurse couldn't see that it would be any use to my condition. So either she is covering her ignorance, genuinely thinks that it won't be useful or doesn't want to let me have it. Hence my question.
No-one that I have spoken to so far in the HCP realm seems to have ever heard of it although I do believe that it is fairly common in the US.
Looks like more private medicine for me if I want one.

Vegman1441

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I believe everyone is entitled to fasting test once a year on NHS it's your right.
Ask at your chemist which doctors do most test strips and get regesterd there.
Check online with your health authority and even email them.
My test strips where stopped so I contacted mine and as I drove 38 tons all hell broke loose, they rung my doctor he rang chemist and he delivers strips all in 20 mins

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I believe everyone is entitled to fasting test once a year on NHS it's your right.
Ask at your chemist which doctors do most test strips and get regesterd there.
Check online with your health authority and even email them.
My test strips where stopped so I contacted mine and as I drove 38 tons all hell broke loose, they rung my doctor he rang chemist and he delivers strips all in 20 mins

You are mixing up fasting blood glucose with fasting insulin levels. They are not the same.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have had this test for over 12 years but on insulin for 3?
This is a test of the level of insulin (not glucose) in the blood.. I can almost guarantee you have never had one in the UK. My diabetes nurse had never even heard of it.

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is a test of the level of insulin (not glucose) in the blood.. I can almost guarantee you have never had one in the UK. My diabetes nurse had never even heard of it.
Nor my GP

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank's I was going to do it as a separate thread, but so much of the info is intermingled with the fasting insulin test it seemed more sensible to leave it in the one place as I probably have more data on the outcome of fasting insulin in T2 diabetics than most others, since being able to get the thing actually tested seems to be rare as hen's teeth . I will post any other observations in separate thread if they come up. I have also separately asked some questions regarding poor responses to the LCHF diet resulting in high figures including fasting insulin on the thread Type B insulin resistance.

I personally will be astonished if @bulkbiker has anything other than exemplary fasting insulin figures given everything else .... oh to be @bulkbiker LOL

No pressure there then, @bulkbiker . :D

lindisfel

Expert
I've seen the number of under 6 in a few places -
for example Dr Bernstein in his books

Dr Mercola ( http://fitness.mercola.com/sites/fi...vitamin-d-and-blood-test-health-factors.aspx_
http://fitness.mercola.com/sites/fi.../vitamin-d-and-blood-test-health-factors.aspx

My understanding of this is that the "Normal" ranges used in blood tests is based on an average of the population where the average population is eating a high carb diet and thus is actually processing a lot of glucose for which they will need a high level of insulin to cope with it.

Conversely if you don't eat carbs, you need much less insulin ( including T1's who inject) so therefore your body settles on much lower numbers.

8 of the people in the Noakes study had figures under 6 reflecting and they were the one's that were effectively in " remission" i.e. their body was not having to do anything special anywhere to control blood sugars
The 'normal' and abnormal insulin levels can be found out from the Dr Kraft video on YouTube with the Fat Emporer! D.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The 'normal' and abnormal insulin levels can be found out from the Dr Kraft video on YouTube with the Fat Emporer! D.
Thanks - I know I've seen it in a few places now ;) one gets confused as to where though !

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just back from having bloods taken...
IMG_0996.jpg

they had a bit of trouble getting some blood.. but sample now sent off to medichecks.. will let you know when I get the results.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The guy who eventually got the blood (on the third attempt) gleefully told me he was from Romania.. then said a region called Transylvania.. so a true vampire obviously..

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I hope your insulin test comes back as normal @bulkbiker, but if not what can you do about it?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I hope your insulin test comes back as normal @bulkbiker, but if not what can you do about it?

More fasting and carb cutting I guess.. with attendant weight loss..I just wish I had had one at the start of the journey so I could see progress.