Cannabis use and diabetes

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry you can not confuse being stoned with a hypo ... you don't make adrenaline when ya stoned .... the feeling is totally different ....
But the munchies ... yer that can be a pain in. Ass..( say me opening and pack of kitkats)

one can die from low blood glucose (especially if one also inject insuline ) and also get brain damage if the brain gets too little blood glucose for too long, I don´t think that can happen from being stoned

Neil Cookson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Fred.

It's no use smoking the cannabis as the chemical element is CBD you need and not THC the stuff that gets you stoned!
The CBD is extracted and is usually taken as a black sticky oil on a grain of rice or something else on a daily basis.
CBD has real life changing effects on many things (especially cancer) and the Governments have known this for a long time.
Check project CBD on the internet. The governments have know for a long time about the healing effects of cannabis but wont acknowledge the fact due to the ruling of the drug firms and taxation.
I can't wait till this is officially clarified but feel extremely sorry for the people and families it could if helped.
On a lighter note, don't smoke the stuff Fred as you'll probably die of lung cancer before the diabetes does anything to you.

P

pollensa

Hi Fred.

It's no use smoking the cannabis as the chemical element is CBD you need and not THC the stuff that gets you stoned!
The CBD is extracted and is usually taken as a black sticky oil on a grain of rice or something else on a daily basis.
CBD has real life changing effects on many things (especially cancer) and the Governments have known this for a long time.
Check project CBD on the internet. The governments have know for a long time about the healing effects of cannabis but wont acknowledge the fact due to the ruling of the drug firms and taxation.
I can't wait till this is officially clarified but feel extremely sorry for the people and families it could if helped.
On a lighter note, don't smoke the stuff Fred as you'll probably die of lung cancer before the diabetes does anything to you.
Hello Neil, excellent comments on subject in question, how right you are. I agree the Gov have known for a long time, and question remains, how many drugs are sitting on shelves not allowed to be used is the frightening question, along with healing effects to make it legalized in the medical world, its all about big business pharms and politics at the end of the day.

I firmly believe after 10months research reputable sources its the pharmas and politics that finally diagnose if one is diabetic not the medical profession, they just follow the rules of what to do at the end of the day!

Diabetes is here to stay they are not interested in hearing about Cannabis and its possible beneficial use, or that lifestyle change, diet and exercise, are best medication of all, why, the cut off levels come down for a reason, to introduce more people label Diabetes, and Pre,this means more people prescribed medications, and this is totally out of order, Diabetes is becoming a crime at the end of the day.

Who knows if Cannabis will assist Cancer or Diabetes my view is there is more possibility than not given in correct format,
yet, until the Governments and Politics of the world come to terms and allow new ideas come to the for to try, it will be a case many people are getting richer each day, cut off levels will get lower for business purposes, instead of trying new methods such as legalized Cannabis for medical reasons.

I agree with yourself in your views above, no doubt we are the minority, as everyone follows the recommended guidelines unfortunately, without question, sadly.

Jenny

P

pollensa

Hello Neil, excellent comments on subject in question, how right you are. I agree the Gov have known for a long time, and question remains, how many drugs are sitting on shelves not allowed to be used is the frightening question, along with healing effects to make it legalized in the medical world, its all about big business pharms and politics at the end of the day.

I firmly believe after 10months research reputable sources its the pharmas and politics that finally diagnose if one is diabetic not the medical profession, they just follow the rules of what to do at the end of the day!

Diabetes is here to stay they are not interested in hearing about Cannabis and its possible beneficial use, or that lifestyle change, diet and exercise, are best medication of all, why, the cut off levels come down for a reason, to introduce more people label Diabetes, and Pre,this means more people prescribed medications, and this is totally out of order, Diabetes is becoming a crime at the end of the day.

Who knows if Cannabis will assist Cancer or Diabetes my view is there is more possibility than not given in correct format,
yet, until the Governments and Politics of the world come to terms and allow new ideas come to the for to try, it will be a case many people are getting richer each day, cut off levels will get lower for business purposes, instead of trying new methods such as legalized Cannabis for medical reasons.

I agree with yourself in your views above, no doubt we are the minority, as everyone follows the recommended guidelines unfortunately, without question, sadly.

Jenny
PS, I agree also, re comment One may die of lung cancer "before Diabetes does anything to one", as assumed and predicted based on arbitrary cut off levels, "never assume and presume" the saying goes, well said Neil.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm still trying to understand how cannabis helps diabetics. Does it help prevent the development of diabetic complications? Or, like other drugs, does it only help manage the symptoms of diabetic complications?

Last edited:
Reactions: megan

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
2 disjointed points and no clever segue between them:

1. Cortisol (stress hormone) is known to be a complicating factor for diabetics as it prepares your body for the "Fight or Flight" response by dumping adrenaline and glucose into your system. Stress really will kill you. Between alcohol and cannabis, side-by-side, it's clear that alcohol has the greater stress-inducing effect (which leads to all that fabulous city centre violence at the weekends, eg). I rather love the notion of a bunch of "stoners" (apologies for the term) having a dust-up - hysterical giggling and finer philosophical points between hugs and fascinated consideration of the pattern the paving has been laid in (typed in humour - I realise this thread mentioned several times not smoking pot, therefore not getting stoned).

My point is, side-by-side, it's very clear to see that alcohol drives violent behaviour and pot seems to reduce stress (or the experience of stress and please assume I'm using all the responsible disclaimers here) and, therefore (a conclusion based purely upon observation, I haven't bothered to look up any science at all) when it comes to cortisol levels in the body, pot will have a positive effect on cortisol levels.

Plus you have alcohol's effect on the liver, pancreas and it's often made from or mixed with sugar. And while much has been made of the Munchies, let's not forget all those crisps and **** people will gleefully shove in their face after a couple of drinks.

2. If cannabis is legalised, it can be "cleaned". No more dirty black lumps of hash cut with goodness knows what, or skunk plants pumped full of chemical fertilisers and pesticides to make them grow and flower faster. While "regulation" has become a dirty word, the fact is it will lead to a cleaner, less damaging product which will be subject to the same rules of the market as everything else: the best one (quality vs quantity vs availability) wins. Also, in terms of availability, it'll simply be safer to acquire.

It still remains an issue of personal choice, and there will still be people who think cannabis - in all its forms - is The Devil. But for those who do choose to use it, whether recreationally or medicinally, legalisation will mean greater controls for a safer, better product.

Way to go, Canada and fair play to everyone here for their honesty.

Reactions: AloeSvea

mr_cat

Not to be confused with e-cig type vaping, where the vapour is an artificial thick noxious conccoction of who knows what, with a whole industry peddling the untested rubbish.

Just wanted to comment on this because is is important for those who wish to give up smoking to be aware vaping is far far safer alternative to smoking.
The basic constituents of 'e-liquid' have been around for a long time and well tested and rated as safe.
There has been lots of testing carried out over the last few years on commercial e-liquid blends.
Any questions over potential toxicity have generally been over flavouring constituents or chemical changes due to overheating the liquid.
Under normal usage emissions of toxins [depending on flavouring] are orders of magnitude lower than those same toxins found in combustion of tobacco.
This forum has a massive amount of info about the subject: e-cigarette-forum.com
Personally I have vaped for a little over 3.5 years [unflavoured diy mix] and after 30 years of rollies still find it amazing i am a nonsmoker!

m

johnnel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I've used cannibis for45 years on and off but have noticed over the last five years that the morning after smoking I feel far less pain and tingling from the peripheral neuropathy than is usual it also stops the spasms in my hand(trigger finger and carpel tunnel problem) so after watching the situation carefully for five years with many periods smoking and as many not, I know it helps me.

Paul_K

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been smoking regularly (in moderation) for >25 years with no problems in any aspect of my life. I smoke one day a week unless I'm on holiday these days but I've never found it to negatively effect my diabetes (T2), quite the opposite in fact. The main positive is its effect on my anxiety, that's a life changer (even smoking just once a week). I've never been keen on alcohol and everybody needs a vice/hobby, weed is mine.

Paul_K

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Having a son who has smoked the stuff for way to long he has developed (CHS) Cannaboid Hyperemesis Syndrome google it and you will find that to some people this can affect the whole family due to multiple events and hospitalisation it's all very well legalising it but to the few it's like a slow death,stopping using it stops the events,try telling that to a user they just tell you of the benefits it has,and yes I smoke a few normal cigarettes and have an occasional beer I ain't perfect.
Google the words and pass it on if you know anyone who is suffering thanksxx

It always cracks me up when people use the term "user" for cannabis smokers and then say 'I have the odd beer/cigarette'. Alcohol is a drug and significantly worse for the body than cannabis, especially when vaped. Of course there will be people that shouldn't smoke it but I guarantee there are significantly more that shouldn't be drinking alcohol that are, especially diabetics.

Reactions: Lawrence73

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Not posted for a while but wanted to chime in. I vape Cannabis flower every evening for the past year. It helps with anxiety and stress for sure and from personal experience it has helped with BP and glucose metabolism. I can see a fasting reduction of 0.5 on the meter within minutes of vaping ans likewise a drop in blood pressure within the same time scale.

I have gone from a very unwell and unfit person a year ago to feeling the best I have done in decades, with both controlled BP and blood sugar without meds and have gone from walking a mile a day to cycling at least 15 miles every day within this period. At the outset, walking to the end of the street was difficult.

I maintain that LCHF and Cannabis use are the most positive things I've indulged in for the benefit of my health.

Seanmccleery

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree with all of you but the thing is there are a small amount of people that it don't do them good at all cannaboid hyperemesis syndrome is nasty all I wanted was to make people aware so if anyone was going through this unpleasant experience there is a cure abstaining if you don't suffer with it carry on. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Remember no offence intended.

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with all of you but the thing is there are a small amount of people that it don't do them good at all cannaboid hyperemesis syndrome is nasty all I wanted was to make people aware so if anyone was going through this unpleasant experience there is a cure abstaining if you don't suffer with it carry on. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Remember no offence intended.

I' know someone who had this, it wasn't pleasant for sure. My risk is minimal as my consumption is minimal, no more than 0.2-0.3g in an evening. I then leave it alone for 24 hours.

Moderation seems to be the most sensible approach.

Neil Cookson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I' know someone who had this, it wasn't pleasant for sure. My risk is minimal as my consumption is minimal, no more than 0.2-0.3g in an evening. I then leave it alone for 24 hours.

Moderation seems to be the most sensible approach.

Hi.
I wrote earlier on this thread but have been in Hospital so not able to reply.
I totally agree about the moderation thing, in everything.
If it works for you and you able to get some guidance through non biased sources to help you along your travels then who is to judge that.
There is no right...how many a day or what's deemed enough.
Just one thing, don't bother smoking it as that's definitely not going to help.

CzukayFan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
As a daily user for the past 40 years I'm a little amused by all the talk of munchies as I haven't experienced that side effect for some decades by now and kind of miss it. Other than that I haven't seen any negative effects relating to either my Type 2 or my general health. I'm not sure about positive effects as I haven't noticed those either relating to BG, the only positive effect is my mental health. Vaping is the healthiest method as mentioned but since I'm a long term smoker I rarely use my vapourizer as smoking and the rituals involved have become part of the pleasure, not just the after effects. I'm sure other chronics know what I'm talking about.

Actaeon70

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Noise, drunk people
Pardon my naivete but is cannabis oil the same as the CBD oil you can get in healthfood shops? I've never smoked cannabis (advised against it as I'm also schizophrenic) but have heard some people with mental health issuessay that they find the oil helpful. If it also assists with BG control, as well as helping with pain relief (as some have told me - neuropathy is being a git right now) I'll definitely have to look into it.

Reactions: hooose

Seanmccleery

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry don’t know about that I can only comment on what we have experienced.
My son is once again in hospital with cannabanoid hyperemesis syndrome he has been smoking haze ? To excess Christmas 2017 has been **** and they have sectioned him due to his aggressive attitude to ambulance crew and police and NHS staff and us not in his right mind hopefully they will give him the help he needs. I want my son back...

Johnny-45

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes /insulin/ sleep Apnoea / apart from that not bad lol
Hi there,

Apologies if this is the incorrect thread .
I in no way condone or promote the use of cannabis. I have been type 1 for 8 years now, I smoke recreationally from time to time, when in a social situation all of my peers like to have a drink, given the implications this has on my bloods and my personal ability to take care of myself, I do not, smoking is a way for me personally to enjoy a social night out. Given it has no evident effect on my bg during or after, and i know I will be in a fit state to take care of myself, I just wanted to get some views on smoking as a type 1.
P.s I am aware of the dangers linked cannabis, and personally I am comfortable with my judgment.
Many thanks
Fred

everyone to there own statement cbd oil is is the same without thc ive lowered my weight with cannabis also my bloods and insulin see the differance is people abuse cannabis i regulate it to my need 2 small pipes in the morning 2 at night ive lost nearly 2 st at the end of the day works for me you dont like it dont do it . simple fed up of worring about other people it works end of !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
:) I missed this thread, and I did wonder if any other T1's were into this vice...

Personally I'd say one of the hardest things a diabetic has to do is ignore the pizza & cake shops when in Amsterdam on a stoner trip ;)