Is there anything I can do about neuropathy?

KathyCP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
HI, I have been diagnosed T2 for 3 and a half years, but have been told that I must have had it for approx 5 years before diagnosis, when HbA1c was 104. I'd had odd sensations in my feet before diagnosis, but once I was on Metformin they became much more noticeable. It took me two years before I could get a GP to take any notice of what I was saying about my feet, because my neuropathy isn't typical - the blood flow in my feet is fine and they're actually more sensitive to touch than they were before I developed diabetes, but a lot of the time I feel like I have pins and needles and never feel that I have normal feeling in my toes. I've now been off Metformin for 9 months, my BG readings are well within the NICE guidelines and my last HbA1c in April was 36. My feet have been pretty good over the last six months or so, but when I get tired or cold, they can be really painful. They were horrible last winter, particularly at night, which was the first time I'd really experienced that - cue thermal socks and a hot water bottle or wrapping them in a blanket of their own. Painkillers don't seem to do a thing.

I've read that they're using cold laser treatment to reverse neuropathy in some places in the US, but as far as I can discover, nobody is doing this in the UK. The jury seems to be out in the scientific literature about whether it does actually work or not, results are inconclusive so far. I saw Alpha Lipoic Acid mentioned in another thread? Can anybody tell me anything about this? Is there anything else that anybody has tried and found helpful?

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Alpha Lipoic Acid (ALA) is good for neuropathy. Some people also take vitamin B12 as metformin can cause B12 deficiency. ALA is also good for clearing brain fog and improving cognitive function.

Last edited:
Reactions: kokhongw

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Some of us on here have found that taking R-ALA (Alpha Lipoic Acid) supplements has helped. Apparently in certain European countries this is licenced for neuropathy but is given in large doses intravenously. The ordinary capsules seem to help.
There are 2 ALA products available. One is just marketed as ALA. The other is the R-Fraction ALA and this is the version to take. I bought mine from Amazon. It is Swansons R-Fraction ALA

Reactions: Incyb and dbr10

Geostan62

Type of diabetes
Type 1
HI, I have been diagnosed T2 for 3 and a half years, but have been told that I must have had it for approx 5 years before diagnosis, when HbA1c was 104. I'd had odd sensations in my feet before diagnosis, but once I was on Metformin they became much more noticeable. It took me two years before I could get a GP to take any notice of what I was saying about my feet, because my neuropathy isn't typical - the blood flow in my feet is fine and they're actually more sensitive to touch than they were before I developed diabetes, but a lot of the time I feel like I have pins and needles and never feel that I have normal feeling in my toes. I've now been off Metformin for 9 months, my BG readings are well within the NICE guidelines and my last HbA1c in April was 36. My feet have been pretty good over the last six months or so, but when I get tired or cold, they can be really painful. They were horrible last winter, particularly at night, which was the first time I'd really experienced that - cue thermal socks and a hot water bottle or wrapping them in a blanket of their own. Painkillers don't seem to do a thing.

I've read that they're using cold laser treatment to reverse neuropathy in some places in the US, but as far as I can discover, nobody is doing this in the UK. The jury seems to be out in the scientific literature about whether it does actually work or not, results are inconclusive so far. I saw Alpha Lipoic Acid mentioned in another thread? Can anybody tell me anything about this? Is there anything else that anybody has tried and found helpful?

Geostan62

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi. I've been diagnosed with painful diabetic neuropathy for about 5yrs. It's been a journey of increasing pain from aching legs, progressively getting to worse, to date.... I now have constant numbness from the knees down. Sensations of extreme cold, like I've been walking barefoot in snow, or the feeling of scalded feet- ever put your foot in the bath when the waters too hot. These sensations are joined by electric shocks either shooting through my legs and feet. Sudden, excruciating shocks that can make me physically jump or scream out.

Over the five years I've been prescribed a barrage of medications but seem to have found relief with the support of my GP. Currently taking A mixture of Gabapentin, Duloxetine, Tramadol and the recent addition of Ora-Morph.

Whilst reluctant to take opiate based meds like tramadol and ora-morph, the relief they provide on a combined basis cannot be underestimated.

On the advice of a family friend I'm looking at natural alternatives..... who wants to take Ora-Morph long term. So I'm trialling Moringa from my local health food shop. Internet research indicates positive support with a variety of conditions but diabetes in particular.

If anyone has any other alternative suggestions I'm be delighted to hear them.
I genuinely believe you have to suffer this condition to fully appreciate how debilitating it can be. I've recently been allowed to take early retirement in health grounds, solely as a result of this disease.

adaptaman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi
I have been taking Moringa for a year now and it has helped not only with lowering my blood sugar but also helped with blood pressure. I started with half a teaspoon on my cereal breakfast in the morning, it has a bit of and earthy smell but when mixed in it does not notice
I also taken apple cider vinegar (2 cap full in a tumbler of water) the non pasterised type and I am sure that this has helped both symptoms as well

Good luck

KathyCP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi. I've been diagnosed with painful diabetic neuropathy for about 5yrs. It's been a journey of increasing pain from aching legs, progressively getting to worse, to date.... I now have constant numbness from the knees down. Sensations of extreme cold, like I've been walking barefoot in snow, or the feeling of scalded feet- ever put your foot in the bath when the waters too hot. These sensations are joined by electric shocks either shooting through my legs and feet. Sudden, excruciating shocks that can make me physically jump or scream out.

Over the five years I've been prescribed a barrage of medications but seem to have found relief with the support of my GP. Currently taking A mixture of Gabapentin, Duloxetine, Tramadol and the recent addition of Ora-Morph.

Whilst reluctant to take opiate based meds like tramadol and ora-morph, the relief they provide on a combined basis cannot be underestimated.

On the advice of a family friend I'm looking at natural alternatives..... who wants to take Ora-Morph long term. So I'm trialling Moringa from my local health food shop. Internet research indicates positive support with a variety of conditions but diabetes in particular.

If anyone has any other alternative suggestions I'm be delighted to hear them.
I genuinely believe you have to suffer this condition to fully appreciate how debilitating it can be. I've recently been allowed to take early retirement in health grounds, solely as a result of this disease.

I can only sympathise - i have all the symptoms you describe, but a lot less severely,and even so, they can be pretty nasty at times. i'll be interested to hear whether or not you notice any difference with moringa.

KathyCP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi
I have been taking Moringa for a year now and it has helped not only with lowering my blood sugar but also helped with blood pressure. I started with half a teaspoon on my cereal breakfast in the morning, it has a bit of and earthy smell but when mixed in it does not notice
I also taken apple cider vinegar (2 cap full in a tumbler of water) the non pasterised type and I am sure that this has helped both symptoms as well

Good luck
any ideas about how to take moringa in a lchf diet? i eat as few carbs as possible, so never eat cereal.