Type 1 Nerve pain!

Rianna0210

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hiya! I'm new to this forum and just wondering if anyone else suffers with minor nerve pain? I've been diagnosed for 2 & 1/2 years and have only recently starting to feel pain particularly in my hands and feet. I know that my sugars have been running higher due to stress but was wondering if anyone had any other tips to manage it? Thanks!

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Sometimes other conditions have nothing to do with ones diabetes. I'm not saying this is your situation but worth examining. Could your nerve pain be caused by something else other than your sugars running higher? I asked this because years ago when I started my Computer career and was sitting down a lot and doing things that people do while sitting ... bad posture, leaning on your elbows, repetitive movements with the mouse, or remaining completely immobile for hours etc I started coming down with the initial stages of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. So I made a complete ergo-metric change to my work area to force me to do things differently - as I'm ambidextrous making those changes were fairly easy and the nerve pain went away and has not come back. Hopefully the cause of your nerve pain has to do with repetitive movements - probably easier to resolve.

Reactions: Rianna0210

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If what you have is neuropathy caused by high blood sugars, then taking an Alpha Lipoic Acid supplement can help. It has helped quite a few people on this forum. There are 2 sorts of this supplement. The best one is the R-Alpha Lipoic Acid as this type is natural and is the type found in our bodies.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have great control with a vlc diet and R Ala rally helped my neuropathy and rather quickly. If I let my sugars get higher than my goals the neuropathy tend to come back albeit not nearly as bad.

Stress can cause neuropathy as well. Mine was worst the few months before my daughter got married when I was stressing over the wedding, travel, planning etc.

Reactions: Rianna0210

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Rianna0210 Have you had any diagnosis for your nerve pain? If not, seeing a doctor is the first thing to do. As said above, it might be nothing to do with your diabetes.

When you say your BS is high, how high do you mean? What insulins do you take? Do you carb count and adjust your bolus insulin?

You haven't been diagnosed very long, so I would think it's important to rule out other causes of your nerve pain if you haven't had a diagnosis yet.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The absolute best thing you can do is get your blood glucose levels under control.

Here's my story: Before I was diagnosed type 2, I went to a doctor about some numbness in my feet. He dismissed it, saying that can happen sometimes with no known cause. Unbeknownst to me (i.e. he saw the results but didn't inform me), a blood test he had me do came back with my HbA1c in the diebetic range. A few months later my feet were getting worse (painful to walk, pins & needles, and more numbness). This time my HbA1c was even higher and he still wouldn't admit that the high blood glucose was causing my foot problems. I asked him too many questions and he told me to find a new doctor. So, I bought a random book on type 2 that just happened to recommend a low carb diet, got a meter from my pharmacist and got my blood glucose under control by reducing carbs based on my meter readings. Eventually the pain and pins & needles went away, but the numbness has stayed. So the moral of the story is: try to get your blood glucose under control.
Sadly, seems all too typical of what we are up against.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I know that my sugars have been running higher due to stress but was wondering if anyone had any other tips to manage it?

Hi @Rianna0210

Don't know if you have the book Think Like a Pancreas, there's a section in the book that mentions stress and how to counteract it with an increase in insulin usage, have a look if you do have the book.

If you do get your bg levels under control and the pain in your hands & feet doesn't go away then mention it to your Dr or Consultant. Best wishes.

Rianna0210

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Sometimes other conditions have nothing to do with ones diabetes. I'm not saying this is your situation but worth examining. Could your nerve pain be caused by something else other than your sugars running higher? I asked this because years ago when I started my Computer career and was sitting down a lot and doing things that people do while sitting ... bad posture, leaning on your elbows, repetitive movements with the mouse, or remaining completely immobile for hours etc I started coming down with the initial stages of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. So I made a complete ergo-metric change to my work area to force me to do things differently - as I'm ambidextrous making those changes were fairly easy and the nerve pain went away and has not come back. Hopefully the cause of your nerve pain has to do with repetitive movements - probably easier to resolve.

I've just started a new job as a carer so maybe it's that! Bad posture could definitly be an option and also Carpal tunnel! I am in the process of making an appointment but it is so difficult to be seen quickly! Thanks for your advice

Rianna0210

Type of diabetes
Type 1
If what you have is neuropathy caused by high blood sugars, then taking an Alpha Lipoic Acid supplement can help. It has helped quite a few people on this forum. There are 2 sorts of this supplement. The best one is the R-Alpha Lipoic Acid as this type is natural and is the type found in our bodies.

Where would I be able to get that? I am willing to try anything!

Rianna0210

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have great control with a vlc diet and R Ala rally helped my neuropathy and rather quickly. If I let my sugars get higher than my goals the neuropathy tend to come back albeit not nearly as bad.

Stress can cause neuropathy as well. Mine was worst the few months before my daughter got married when I was stressing over the wedding, travel, planning etc.

I have been very stressed recently! So maybe that could be contributing, I am going to get examined by the doctor and see what he says

Reactions: azure

Rianna0210

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@Rianna0210 Have you had any diagnosis for your nerve pain? If not, seeing a doctor is the first thing to do. As said above, it might be nothing to do with your diabetes.

When you say your BS is high, how high do you mean? What insulins do you take? Do you carb count and adjust your bolus insulin?

You haven't been diagnosed very long, so I would think it's important to rule out other causes of your nerve pain if you haven't had a diagnosis yet.

No diagnosis as of yet, I just wanted to see whether anyone else has experienced the same! High as in above 15 most days.... I have increased my Lantus (Bolus) in the morning as I split it into two and it has come down but I am still in pain. I am in the process of making an appointment but it is a nightmare to get through! Hopefully it is something else which is a bit easier to solve!

Reactions: azure

Rianna0210

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi @Rianna0210

Don't know if you have the book Think Like a Pancreas, there's a section in the book that mentions stress and how to counteract it with an increase in insulin usage, have a look if you do have the book.

If you do get your bg levels under control and the pain in your hands & feet doesn't go away then mention it to your Dr or Consultant. Best wishes.

I don't have have the book but I will buy it! Always helpful to have that as I'm always stressed in my job and don't cope very well! Thank you