Foot Care

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Having my feet checked last week at the doc's and the nurse was touching my feet with a needle to test that I could feel the touch at various sites around my feet and I discovered that the heel of my left foot was less responsive to this touch.

My bg control is pretty good and my blood pressure is not too high although I am taking a couple of meds for that. I do have hard dry skin around both heels. So could this be the start of diabetic neuropathy or just the hard skin on my heels?

I have been massaging Vaseline Intensive Rescue Moisture Locking Body Lotion into both feet but had been a bit lax in this routine in the month or so before my doc visit.

I would be interested to know what others who suffer dry skin use to care for their feet.

ps. who came up with "Vaseline Intensive Rescue Moisture Locking Body Lotion" as a name? Thats a proper mouthful :lol:

Talos

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfriendly people, MP's,
Sid Bonkers said:
Having my feet checked last week at the doc's and the nurse was touching my feet with a needle to test that I could feel the touch at various sites around my feet and I discovered that the heel of my left foot was less responsive to this touch.

My bg control is pretty good and my blood pressure is not too high although I am taking a couple of meds for that. I do have hard dry skin around both heels. So could this be the start of diabetic neuropathy or just the hard skin on my heels?

I have been massaging Vaseline Intensive Rescue Moisture Locking Body Lotion into both feet but had been a bit lax in this routine in the month or so before my doc visit.

I would be interested to know what others who suffer dry skin use to care for their feet.

ps. who came up with "Vaseline Intensive Rescue Moisture Locking Body Lotion" as a name? Thats a proper mouthful :lol:

Are you sure it was a NEEDLE !!
When I visited mine she used what looked like a needle, but was in fact a nylon bristle, if yours did the same I would suggest hard skin was the culprit.

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
Numb points in feet can also be an indicator of impinged nerves within the spine, so if bothered ask to be refered to be certain it is actually a form of neuropathy and not a back problem.

As for foot balm I found Cuitcura Dry Skin moisture cream to be very good and better than some of the dedicated foot-care preparations .. and @ £1.39 from my local Pennywise for a 300ml pot, it does not cost too much.

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
I receive large tub of Aqueous Cream prescribed by GP for my feet
I started to receive this cream when first diagnosed T2
My feet feel very soft with this :)

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Talos your probably right about a needle 'like' thing and I'm obviously hoping that it was just hard skin but it is interesting what Hobs has said about a trapped nerve in the spine as I do suffer from pain in my right leg caused by degenerative arthritis in my lower back so a trapped or damaged nerve could well be to blame. I will mention that when I see the doctor on 8th Oct (first available appointment - joke).

Hobs I will check out my local £ shop and chemist for that cream :)

Thanks to you both for your input.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi bowel, that is something else I will ask my doc in October, thanks for that.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Sid, you need to remove, or get removed by a professional, the excess thick skin from your feet then put a good cream on them every day. Have a go at them every day or so a little at a time with a non-metallic file (ceramic is good, or pumicestone as my endo recommended although you'll need a lot of patience with that) until your feet are smooth as a baby's! My endo also recommended I treat them dry, not wet as after a bath. Be careful not to take too much off. This is for the skin on the sides and back of your heels and maybe under your big toe too. Maybe not where you have the insensibility though if the hard skin isn't the problem. But the foot care is necessary anyway as a cracked heel can become very nasty.

calisto51

I have loss of sensation in both feet and use a tee tree oil conditioning cream every day and it works a treat. The Tee Tree acts as an antiseptic

ljwilson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!
Flexitol or any of the creams that contain urea are excellent for diabetic foot care

Lorna

jaykay

Best cure for hard skin on the feet? Go for a walk on the beach -my prescription is somewhere balmy, white sand and palm trees but if we can't get testing strips on the NHS, I don't suppose they'll go for the beach idea ! :lol:

Bigglesworth

Sauna shifts dead and hard skin it within a couple of visits particularly if you add water to the coals to increase the humidity.

Alternatively (discovered by chance) wash the footbath of the shower with thick bleach. Rinse lightly. Next time you have a shower the bleach residue works wonders on any hard skin.