anyone reversed their type two diabetes to below the normal range in remission or reversed can it be

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I decided to go low calorie, and then use the Newcastle diet, rather than LCHF.
Mainly as I wanted to be able to eat anything after reversing my diabetes, (which I did) as I am out a lot, and wanted to be able to simply buy and eat anywhere, rather than eating LCHF for life, which can prove difficult if there is no one selling it to me.

Hi douglas99 - I have read a few of your posts and they are really interesting.
So in your opinion the LCHF diet maintains BG but does not allow people on it to deviate no matter what they get their BG down to. Where as the Newcastle diet specifically does the same thing but allows almost freedom to eat as you want. One assumes not like before or you would end up back at square one in both cases.

Is there a lot of evidence to support that. I know you have had a superb outcome which in itself is evidence but I wonder whether any LCHF diet have had a similar experience.

I ask because I have considered the Newcastle diet. I have weight I could lose which is coming off nicely on the LCHF diet and my BG is going down nicely I think without any meds thus far.

I thought for the Newcastle diet you needed the dehydrated meals to achieve it? Really interested because although I am quite satisfied on the LCHF and see it now as a way of life - I would like to be able to eat a Christmas dinner, have an occasional piece of birthday cake, have a croissant with jam on occasion when on holiday and like you - I have to eat out a lot because of work so trying to figure out what to do for the best?

Reactions: Prem51

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
@Fleegle
I can only answer for me, I sure others can comment later though.
I became diabetic after too many donuts, company entertaining, expense account meals, motorway service stations, and piling on weight after becoming more sedentary.

I took a lot of advice from my HCP's, and the NHS dietician, I was very well supported by getting test strips on prescription, and did a classic low fat diet for nearly a year, and attended an NHS gym.
This got my weight, and my BG down to a reasonable level.
I wasn't all the way there though, so I did the Newcastle diet, using Tesco shakes, I had read the posts that it wasn't how long it took the weight to come off, or that you could do it with real food, but I decided the Newcastle diet had clearly worked for some, so I didn't want to change to an unknown variation.
It seemed to work for me as well.
To quantify that though, I am happy to be considered non diabetic if I maintain the figures as advised on this site. http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html
I don't chase 4's in the morning. I don't test every 15 mins to see how high my spikes are, I don't worry if I rise by more than 2, if I start at 4.8 and finish at 7.6 I'm happy.
In fact I rarely test at all now.
I do still take 500mg of Metformin, but only as I believe it has other benefits.
I realise that doesn't suit some people, but I didn't want to go from being diabetic, to worrying about being diabetic.
I'm fine if I have a normal Hba1c, and no diabetic complications, I have my annual reviews, and a private health screening as well. After 5 years I'm still good.

My lifestyle wasn't really suited to LCHF either. I did try it briefly, but it didn't work for me due to the limitations.
I enjoy being out, I don't holidays on the tourist routes, and I tend to eat with the locals, and drink with the locals.
Rice, pasta, potato, bread, all feature heavily if you eat street food. So does lager.
I scuba dive, and you can't ask the skipper to take the boat back to shore if all they have is a kettle, porridge, and instant noodles. But saying as I burn several thousand calories diving, not eating isn't an option.
I plan to overland in the coming years, I've just bought a 4x4, so it'll be in poorer counties, which are always carb heavy foods, so again I want to be able to cope with that.
I am permanently on a diet though, in the sense I won't eat a tray of donuts as a snack, I do eat Mediterranean diet when I can, I avoid saturated fats when I can, I do watch my weight, and if it creeps up again I'll go back onto the 800 cal shakes until I'm happy again, but I'll also rob Peter to pay Paul, I can overeat at Christmas, and diet in the New Year.
My tastes have changed as well, I don't enjoy sweet food, I re-educated my taste buds from sweet to spicy, so a very hot chili, or curry is better than a packet of sweets now.
But, and this is important to me, in a pinch I can eat, and live on anything, without worrying what's in it, or what effect it'll have on me.
If I couldn't do that, I would seriously have to change my life, and I don't want to do that yet.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

I went low carb (approx 1200 calories), but not high fat and exercised daily (1 hr - 1 1/2 hr).

I've rapidly dropped from 17.5 - 13 stone, in 2 months. Although I'm cautious and don't push it, I now seem to be able to eat anything.

I don't think it constitutes a reversal, as i'd imagine putting the weight back on and stopping exercising would bring it back.

Good luck
Wow!!

Professor Taylor of the Newcastle Diet told a forum member from here that it didn't matter how the weight loss was achieved (food, shakes, whatever) as long as it happened. Sounds to me like you have cracked it. Well done :)

Reactions: bkr and Prem51

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I went low carb (approx 1200 calories), but not high fat and exercised daily (1 hr - 1 1/2 hr).

I've rapidly dropped from 17.5 - 13 stone, in 2 months. Although I'm cautious and don't push it, I now seem to be able to eat anything.

I don't think it constitutes a reversal, as i'd imagine putting the weight back on and stopping exercising would bring it back.

Very much my experience too, over 16 stone to 11 1/2 stone in 3 to 4 months seemed to do the job, eating low carb which resulted in a much lower calorie intake as well. I take my hat off to anyone who followed the Newcastle diet, I would not have been able to do it.

I too seem able to eat just about anything now without major adverse readings, but I don't particularly want to eat the heavy carbs anymore, and I certainly don't miss them.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I just eat low carb foods and get normal numbers. I did lose a bit of weight when I was so ill on the Metformin and Atorvastatin, but concentrated on normalising blood glucose - no more tablets.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I just eat low carb foods and get normal numbers. I did lose a bit of weight when I was so ill on the Metformin and Atorvastatin, but concentrated on normalising blood glucose - no more tablets.
Tablets don't really make any difference.
But the op is asking if you consider yourself reversed?
How are you on a normal, rather than low carb diet?

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I think it doesn't matter which method is used initially. I think the 80 / 20 rule applies, as some seem to not get non-diabetic numbers even though they follow a great regime. I would say any combination that either reduces carbs, removes visceral fat to drain the liver and pancreas, maybe followed by subcutaneous fat will result in better control.

As I am impatient, given the education this site has provided, I would have undertaken the Newcastle diet (with real food in place of the sachets), followed by LCHF and exercise. I feel it is vital to ensure ones metabolism can support the maintenance phase and that food choices are varied and enjoyable to satisfy taste buds and the enjoyment of food. I have found LCHF has changed my taste buds, so what is often referred to as "clean" food tastes better than before.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Tablets don't really make any difference.
But the op is asking if you consider yourself reversed?
How are you on a normal, rather than low carb diet?
If you call normal diet the one full of sugars and starches many people buy from the supermarkets, no - thankfully - I am not on a normal diet. I can't maintain my weight on a normal diet, I put on weight very fast - why not - it is the same sort of diet that is used to fatten animals for slaughter - much of the waste food from shops is converted into animal feed.

Reactions: ringi and Fleegle

Rob_E

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'd suggest giving the 8-week blood sugar diet (Dr Michael Mosley book) a go. Like you my job isn't good for this so I took 2 weeks holidays to kick it off. Prof Taylor (Newcastle diet) did the foreword, but Dr Mosley's based it on real food, with suggested recipes. It's been tough to do it, but if you think you can go full-on for 2 weeks you'll see a big difference. That'll give you a good foundation to then build on, maybe at a slower pace.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am now eating what used to be my normal diet back when I was quite a bit thinner - I have needed to eat low carb all my adult life or see massive weight gain.
I just checked my BG and it is 5.6.
Weightloss has always been difficult and slow, so I would prefer to avoid it by eating what I know is right for me. It has always been against medical advice and popular belief, but I am glad to read that there are changes being made.

Sheeples

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'd like to echo everyone else. Lost 4 stone since diagnosis (making it 5 stone in total) and BMI now at the top end of normal and working to bring it down further. Last HBA1C was 34 - better than the consultant apparently! Weight loss first through a lower carb diet (no sugar, limited bread and potatoes, no pasta - wasn’t strictly LCHF but significantly less carbs than I had been eating). Started at the gym after diagnosis and doing cardio and resistance training. Thought I'd try the Newcastle diet over August but have had to abandon it as our personal trainer has just upped our cardio routine and I didn't have enough energy. So I suppose the TLDR is weight loss and exercise combined with restricting carb intake to a certain extent :)

Reactions: Prem51

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
For me low carb medium fats and about 600 calories a day for 12 months lost 8 and a half stone now in remission.

Reactions: bkr and letstalk1

letstalk1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Yes.. Low Carb High Fat diet... simple filling food.
No need to PM you - a load of us here follow this way of eating and the site runs its own low carb program.
My details are in my signature.
This-same

Notwithstanding

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not being fit & healthy
please send me a private message if you have reversed type two or got down into normal range or remission any advise please
You certainly CAN reverse your diabetes; & many people have done it. I have not had official confirmation myself, but all my readings are in the normal range - & have been for the last 18 months. I have no diabetes symptoms at all. I owe this to being on Dr. Michael Mosely's 800 calorie/no carb diet; which I have followed over this time span. This diet is brilliant. Lots of satisfying & delicious food, & very easy to stick to. I urge you to get his book (Reversing Diabetes, I think). You will not regret it. Good luck.

Reactions: Indy51

Cocomoon

please send me a private message if you have reversed type two or got down into normal range or remission any advise please
Hi, my diabetes nurse says you can never reverse it, only manage it.
She says even if all your figures get back into the 'normal' range, you are predisposed to having the diabetes issues again if you fall off the wagon.
She insists metformin is a wonder drug that EVERYONE should be taking and although I am managing very well, she claims I can only do that for 2 years or so. Metformin will keep me well for longer..... (Thing is, it didn't. It trashed my thyroid medication and my vitamin D levels. I'm off it now,)
LCHF is great. It will change your levels, and might even make you 'normal' again, but the NHS says that technically you are still a diabetic and will be treated as such. (Hey, you might get better treatment as you will be monitored very regularly!)
You will not 'reverse' your status as a diabetic, but you can make great improvements.

Joyce3168

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
clubbing, too much noise,dishonesty,not having to eat carbs!
For me low carb medium fats and about 600 calories a day for 12 months lost 8 and a half stone now in remission.
Hi,
I am new to this site and working / hoping to achieve remission of some sort. I like your approch but would like a bit more information.
I was diagnosed with T2D about 5.5 weeks ago after a spell of pneumonia and gulping all those fruit juices! In the past 2 weeks my highest reading was a one-off 9.2, my daily range is between 4 and6.7. I have lost a few pounds (from 16.5 stones to 15.23)

Anthony1738

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Boom Boom Club Music (cant see the point its not Music) Moto GP and Manchester United
There's a book published in the USA that claims that it's' author and others, have reversed their type 2 diabetes. This seems to be achieved by vigorous excercise routines and drastic dieting. All red meat is banned, and only white meat and oily fish is allowed. Unlimited fruit and veg is the apparent basis of this regime. All the cabbage you can eat, raw or cooked etc. I tried it for a while. True, I lost half a stone. Also true ... total exhaustion on a permanent basis and the boredom of the regime won in the end. The book was £47 plus £20 postage from the USA, and this would suggest that the obvious winner would be the author. Your choice. I've retired now, and my blood pressure today was 109 / 80. With a heart rate of 76, one Metformin a day must be doing ok. I'm sticking to that.

Good old American sales pitch eh, just read this forum its free!

Anthony1738

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Boom Boom Club Music (cant see the point its not Music) Moto GP and Manchester United
Hi, my diabetes nurse says you can never reverse it, only manage it.
She says even if all your figures get back into the 'normal' range, you are predisposed to having the diabetes issues again if you fall off the wagon.
She insists metformin is a wonder drug that EVERYONE should be taking and although I am managing very well, she claims I can only do that for 2 years or so. Metformin will keep me well for longer..... (Thing is, it didn't. It trashed my thyroid medication and my vitamin D levels. I'm off it now,)
LCHF is great. It will change your levels, and might even make you 'normal' again, but the NHS says that technically you are still a diabetic and will be treated as such. (Hey, you might get better treatment as you will be monitored very regularly!)
You will not 'reverse' your status as a diabetic, but you can make great improvements.

Many many forum members have heard the same from Diabetic Nurses all over the place, but you will read on here, I dare say thousands of members, will show and prove results of reversal, it does involve life style changes but in my case they are pleasurable changes which I can maintain.

Anthony1738

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

Yes in 3 months, LCHF, increase Excersise, and intermittant fasting.