Newly diagnosed at 30 - hello everyone!

AlexMagd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone,

I'm newly diagnosed with Type 2 last week and still on the emotional rollercoaster / grief train. All the introductory links and nuggets of advice have been so helpful with that so thank you :)

Curious if there are any other young Type 2s out there? I'm 30 but have likely had this a couple of years. Anyone else get diagnosed around that age, and how have you found it over the years?

NatJS

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Welcome, and sorry to hear about your diagnosis! Yes I got diagnosed this February at the age of 31 (32 now!). It's a drag, isn't it? Fortunately there's tons you can do to manage it, either diet changes, exercise or medication, or a combination of all 3. I managed to get my hba1c down from 92 to 41 in the first 3 months following the advice here so it's perfectly achievable.

Good luck! You're in good hands here!

A new man

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone,

I'm newly diagnosed with Type 2 last week and still on the emotional rollercoaster / grief train. All the introductory links and nuggets of advice have been so helpful with that so thank you :)

Curious if there are any other young Type 2s out there? I'm 30 but have likely had this a couple of years. Anyone else get diagnosed around that age, and how have you found it over the years?

Hi I was diagnosed type 2 at only 21 and not humungously over weight at 13 stone. The difference is you found this place and now have the tools to deal with it whereas I listened to my diabetic nurse and thought that it was inevitable that I would end up on insulin! My advice would be to try low carb and exercise (I am now experimenting with fasting also)

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Welcome :)
I was 33 at diagnosis, and am 37 now. I think it's becoming more and more common to be diagnosed earlier, and unlike some of the media who spout that we're all shoving carbs and sugar down our neck and forcing ourselves into "early" Type 2 diabetes, I actually think it's mostly because medically, there's a greater awareness for the need to test and we're being picked up with the condition far earlier than we perhaps would have been a few decades ago.

As far as managing diabetes goes, I've had ups and downs over the last 4 years. I find that I can manage it best when I'm enjoying a low carb diet, and keeping careful eye on my blood sugars.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Do you excess weight? If you are slim and age 30 then your diagnosis may be T1 rather than T2 so ask the GP for the two tests for T1 as they often just guess T2. If you have excess weight then start by having a the low-carb diet and take it from there

Reactions: dbr10

AlexMagd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi. Do you excess weight? If you are slim and age 30 then your diagnosis may be T1 rather than T2 so ask the GP for the two tests for T1 as they often just guess T2. If you have excess weight then start by having a the low-carb diet and take it from there

Oh yeah, tons. My lifestyle has been horrendous for the past five years - I think the chance of LADA is v low to be honest. I have considered asking my GP about a c-peptide test if only because I'm curious to see how much of my beta cell function is remaining.