Concerned

xtessa1x

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My d/n wants me to go onto insulin as a basal one however I am highly concerned about side effects and losing my driving licence I have a range of problems not just diabetes I have kidney disease heart disease and I already wear glasses she say is that it going onto insulin will help keep these conditions from getting worse however I am still concerned. I have been taking metformin and liagliptin for the last two years however I recently been told that because I have had a history of pancreatitis I should not have been put on the linagliptin and this has been stopped also because of the pancreatitis I cannot be put on victoza or byetta as this is not appropriate for someone with my medical history. the dose of metformin has been halved because of my kidney disease apparently they aren't allowed to put me on any higher dose than one tablet twice a day however my hba1c is still higher then they want it to be is he is at the present 63 are these silly concerns or not if anyone has any advice or pre experience would please let me know.. sorry for the long run but I am starting to get paranoid

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @xtessa1x :) If you do go onto insulin, you have to tell the DVLA and fill in a medical form. It doesn't mean you'll lose your licence :)

The major 'side effect' of insulin is hypoglycaemia, but that can be spotted early with testing :) If insulin can help you improve your HbA1C, then that can only be a good thing :)

Have you tried adjusting your diet to gain better control? If that hasn't worked, then insulin may be a positive step forward for you, and lead to better sugars.

xtessa1x

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for your quick response yes I am already following a low-carb diet unfortunately my blood sugars are following it because they keep going up

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you for your quick response yes I am already following a low-carb diet unfortunately my blood sugars are following it because they keep going up

Don't blame yourself. Unfortunately, some people do need meds, including insulin, despite their best efforts at control.

I'm Type 1 and I've been on insulin for more than 20 years. It can be scary to start with, as with anything new, but hopefully the benefits you see from it will be more than worth it.

Don't be afraid to ask the nurse/doctor questions about things that are worrying you. Remember too that there are other Type 2s on insulin here. You're not alone and your worries are understandable. I hope some Type 2s come along later to add more.

Reactions: Ultramum

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
I would say that going on insulin may look to be a scary thing but could be a life changer for you, and yes because you follow low carb you have to be careful with dosages but the relief from the disappearance of tummy problems is worth the extra care, as to your driving licence yes you have to fill in a form for the DVLA every 3 years (it doesn't cost you anything) which can be a pain but providing you can still tell when your having a hypo and don't need help to recover and as long as you follow the rules about being over 5 you should be ok.
I hope you will feel a lot more positive after reading this, going on insulin was a life changer for me in that I got my life back.....

Reactions: Ultramum and azure

JohnJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My d/n wants me to go onto insulin as a basal one however I am highly concerned about side effects and losing my driving licence I have a range of problems not just diabetes I have kidney disease heart disease and I already wear glasses she say is that it going onto insulin will help keep these conditions from getting worse however I am still concerned. I have been taking metformin and liagliptin for the last two years however I recently been told that because I have had a history of pancreatitis I should not have been put on the linagliptin and this has been stopped also because of the pancreatitis I cannot be put on victoza or byetta as this is not appropriate for someone with my medical history. the dose of metformin has been halved because of my kidney disease apparently they aren't allowed to put me on any higher dose than one tablet twice a day however my hba1c is still higher then they want it to be is he is at the present 63 are these silly concerns or not if anyone has any advice or pre experience would please let me know.. sorry for the long run but I am starting to get paranoid

Hi, I have just returned my licence to DVLA, and like you I was worried about the repercussions. Insurance did not change (they say as controlled by DVLA). Life insurance the same. Only issue with 3 year replacement licence is can't drive a mini-bus, 3.5/7.5 tonne van any more. Of course you are supposed to test every 2 hours driving before and during to be above 5! The police can demand to see your meter.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
when i went onto Insulin I informed the DVLA and have a 3 years license so every 3 years they reknew it after having a dvla eye test where they check you still have no eye problems

TonyWarren

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Main advice would be don't worry. I am an atypical type 2 who has been using basal/bolus levemir/aspart insulin since 1997 6months after original diagnosis. DVLA don't want to take your licence away, they just want to keep you and everybody else safe. I test every 2 hours when driving (the law change a few years ago) . The main thrust of the medical questionnaire is to establish how often you might have severe hypos (the definition of which in the notes they send out is "an event that requires outside assistance" and with the assistance of your diabetic medical team will be unlikely if using insulin levemir only and follow their guidance. You will find many of the questions don't really apply to you. Everyone diabetic and non diabetic has to to say that their eyes with or without correction meet the legal criteria. Anecdotally there are quite a lot of non diabetics who have failed to inform DVLA of medical conditions that affect their rights to hold a driving licence, so filling in the medical questionnaire will make you more qualified than most. If the change to insulin improves your blood sugar control it is all good.news.

JohnJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
At my annual check-up yesterday I was told another diabetic lost their licence from not testing last week, they were involved in an accident (not their fault), but the police requested their monitor to see when they had tested. When you complete the form, you agree to check 2 hours prior to driving and the police have the right to check back 3 months of readings.