Omnipod??

paigerobbo_x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I'm Paige, I'm 12 years old and I've been diagnosed with t1d since 20th of march 2017. Well I think I have I can't remember. It was sometime in March. Anyway..

One thing I have learnt with diabetes is that you have no choice, and I've tried to take everything as it is, with as little mental breakdowns as possible.

I've recently been talking to my nurses and other people at hospital and I'm trying out an omnipod on 22nd august. For anyone that has an omnipod or has tried one...

What was your opinion on the pump and would you recommend it??
And if you didn't like it.. what other pump would your recommend??

I would honestly love to get rid of my injections and I know loads of people who would definitely recommend pumps. Any feed back would be extremely helpful.

Thanks x

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @paigerobbo_x exciting times ahead - tagging @himtoo as he uses this, good luck and let us know how you get on :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
It's a great little pump and would certainly recommend it, being a tubeless pump it may be better than a tubed pump if you enjoy sports at school or outside of school.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi @paigerobbo_x
I can certainly recommend the omnipod pump
it is small to wear and I normally wear mine on either my stomach or my arms.

there are loads of youtube videos showing people changing their pods-- I watched a few before I got my mine.

the customer service people are super helpful and the supplies always arrive the day after I order them ( I order in the morning )

the pod does it's own cannula insertion when you press the buttons on the PDM ( personal Diabetes manager )
you can set up to 7 different basal programs -- for example ==one for school days , weekends , exercising etc etc.

pumping is extra work though as you do need to test quite a bit and you need a really good understanding of carb counting.

I have not used another pump so can't comment on any others - I know there are many people here on the forum that use other pumps and like them.

do talk with your care team and decide which pro's and con's of each pump suit you as a person.

Reactions: tircoed

Ari3la

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello, I have Medtronic pump and i would like to try the Omnipod.
Does anyone know what i can to change the pump?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Assuming your UK based, if you want to change to the Omnipod you would have to make sure it's available through your diabetes clinic, if it isn't then the only option open is to move to a clinic that does support the pump.

Reactions: himtoo

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

How long have you been on the Medtronic? Is it still in warranty? Generally you can't switch pumps until the warranty is up. Your CCG has already paid for your pump on the basis it will last 3-4 years, they don't expect to be shelling out for another one within that period.

What pumps were you offered when you chose the Medtronic? Are there any particular problems with it? Any reason why you are leaning towards an omnipod?

aileenmoore00

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hiya Paige! I was also diagnosed at 12 type 1 for 5 years now. I was like you desperate to get off injections as at the time Hated them. I have used the omnipod and Medtronic. Pros and cons about both. At the time it really helped me get through the whole emotional side of injecting which I really struggled with. I'm not back on injections which I prefer now, but the pump helped made me feel like i had more options and is a good break from constant injecting. You should definetley try, :)

Reactions: paigerobbo_x