Mozzie repellant

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
I'm off to Mexico for 2 weeks next month and I'm worried about mozzie bites. Wherever I go I am like a magnet for them.

Can anyone suggest any good "betes" friendly pills, potions or old wives tales? :D

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Avon 'Skin so Soft' is highly reccommended by many including the Armed Forces !

cearapeter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi

This REALLY works. Trust me, I was once like you.

Take garlic tables for a week before you go and during your holiday.

The garlic 'smell' seeps from your skin (you cannot smell it) but it keeps the mozzies away for MILES.

Simple but effective.

Ceara

jane22

google solar mosquito repellent and you will find a neat little machine to clip onto a bag or belt. It makes the sound of a male mosquito, you can hardly hear it. Now it's the female pregnant mossies that do the biting and they keep out of the way of males when pregnant. I spend a lot of time in Turkey and sometimes the mossies are a problem. Using this machine I haven't been bitten for 2 years and usually I get loads.

Rushy

cearapeter said:
The garlic 'smell' seeps from your skin (you cannot smell it) but it keeps the mozzies away for MILES.
Mozzies ARE blood sucking Vampires, of a sort, after all. :lol:

Dustydazzler

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Sore feet, spiders, feeling hungry, night time hypos
You need products containing 'Deet'. They have it in different strengths. 50% Deet you can buy from Boots and you can spray that on your skin. 100% Deet you can buy from hiking/camping shops and you can spray that on your clothes. And take antihistamines and if you do still get bit it will stop it itching!! Hope you have a great time!

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Ditto Dustydazzler, as a keen fisherman often sitting in rushes by the waters edge, mosi breeding grounds, I have used it for years. I buy 'Lifesystems Expedition 50+' or 'Lifesystems Expedition 100+' if they are really bad. Spray on exposed skin, ankles, wrists and hands, head and neck and dont forget your waist line they have a knack of finding a way in there. The 50+ and 100+ refers to the strength of the DEET.

I buy it from a local Cotswolds Outdoor Shop but if you google the name they sell on line too just search there site for 'DEET'

Used to swear by Avon Skin So Soft till Avon changed there range some years back and it is no longer the same stuff IMHO The new range has a different perfume.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
cearapeter said:
Hi

This REALLY works. Trust me, I was once like you.

Simple but effective.

Ceara

I have heard this but never tried it, also heard the same about Marmite too, a slice of toast with marmite for breakfast every morning for a few weeks before you go, something to do with a B vitamin I think but again never tried it plus it would be no good if you low carb :D

Dippy3103

I tried the marmite thing (being a magnet for all flying biting things) and it didn't work for me, but I do know someone who it did work for.
Clearly there is something about me which mosquito's find irresistable.... Wonder if it is the same thing that attracts mad people to me???

Alanem

Dislikes
Fish except from the chippy
My wife has tried a lot of suggestions but has settled on Repel 100 from Amazon but there is a strong warning on all DEET products especially 100%..... to use it sparingly on arms and legs so take a weaker strength for your face and neck.

Alan

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am the world wide mossie bait they come from far and wide to feast on my skinny frame I have tried vit b and all other vits known to man i have tried citronella oil and garlic both eating it and applying it and the only thing that has ever worked is the Avon dry oil spray but it must be soft and fresh They also do a bath oil in the same fragrance which is a little stronger I use that neat at the worst times and I can now stay in the garden all evening.
CAROL

viv1969

Ardbeg...Don't forget that you need to take Anti-malarials for Mexico too; both before you go and after your return.

I hope you have a fabulous time in the sun! 8) 8) 8)