Any long term Type 1's not needed paramedics

joelcam

Hi all,

Just curious to hear from any T1 that have been T1 for a long period and never found themselves waking up surrounded by paramedics or worried family members?

I have never had an issue up until now and control is good but it appears that every T1 I speak to has had at least 1 incident of this nature at some point in their life.

Any views / thoughts or experiences?

JC

Dollyrocker

I've only been woken by paramedics once, that was when I was on Mixtard30 and didn't eat enough before I went to bed :oops:

I got changed onto Lantus/Novo very soon after that so I blame the insulin not myself :wink:#

That was about 10 years ago

josie38

Hi

I've been t1 for 13 years and never had to wake up with paramedics but had to have them a couple of times when been too high and needed to go to hospital.

Josie

joelcam

Josie,

I don't mean this in a bad way but how do you end up so high you need an ambulance? If I go above 7mmol then I have a mini flap attack! Did you not monitor / treat it properly or was it just something you struggled to control?

JC

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Joelcam :lol: :lol: - I was puzzled as to why if you were above 7 you would eat a mini FLAPJACK! I had to read your post five times before I realised you were saying mini saying flap attack :lol: :lol:
and that's with me specs on :roll:

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
15 years since diagnosis, never needed ambulance, nor really any help from anyone. Once my partner tried giving me Hypostop (shows how long ago it was) in bed, and couldn't understand why I wasn't being too co-operative, so he tasted it, agreed it was disgusting and grabbed some sweets off the window sill where I'd left them!

day007

11 years and no, never even passed out or anything... but that could be because my levels ain't often on the low side. I guess it depends on how good hypo awareness you have, I ALWAYS wake up if I hypo at night, and I know if I'm hypo in the day and start seeing orange blobs then I need to do something about it pretty sharpish!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Never needed any intervention in nearly 30 years being type 1, although I have come close on a few occasions but always managed to deal with it myself. I do however try and keep my bg levels out of the 4's wherever possible, and should I find myself there I will eat a small snack to get my levels back into the 5's.

Nigel

mindii

Dislikes
rude or over opinionated, over bearing people. liars,
the rain and the cold!
Hi,
twenty years on and never needed and ambulance but have woken to find an extremely worried dad and husband standing over me looking petrified!!! Got ma mum on the phone problem solved! Bless them they were a bit paralysed with fear because i didn't come round instantly!!! They both sed however that they were fine and totally in control of things! :p Been taken into hospital by ma dad when I was younger and alot dafter with the whole need to do injection thing!
Amanda

Snodger

Type 1 20 years, so far (touch wood) still have hypo warning symptoms so have never woken up surrounded by paramedics or worried friends/relatives. I do have a terrible habit though of finding out that I'm hypo and set off to get something to eat, then getting distracted and going to do something else (eg finish ironing, do the washing up, post a reply on diabetes.co.uk...).

Marky4

My unusual experience on very low blood sugars.

I've been type 1 now for more than 20 years. Before DAFNE training, I had many times where I have lost consciousness completely - and either been woken by the 'men in green coats', or been revived by people around me. Very irresponsible I know, but I was a slightly different and more optimistic soul when I was younger.

Interesting point is this - I had a long period in my life where I was living alone, and couldn't get help in these situations. Phone calls are of course impossible when your sugar is 1.2. For example, I remember trying to grab for a phone because I couldn't make it all the way to the kitchen, but realising that there's no way I could remember 999… or anything else. And eventually managing to drag myself over a long period to the place I needed to be.

What I discovered was that after I have already passed out - something wakes me and I struggle, however hard, to get some sugar - even if I'm asleep. Consciousness in these situations is almost completely gone. When I finally did come around, I couldn't remember how it had happened, except for the wreckage I had caused, and muscle strain and bruising. I always interpreted this as a survival instinct kicking in, and still partly believe this. I have since discovered about the liver releasing its stored sugars with very low blood sugar.

I'm still convinced that it was this basic "Will to Survive" that undoubtedly saved my life several times. Of course people do actually die from these type of situations, and it would be terrible advice to depend on this survival instinct saving you. But to me it was a very interesting experience that my life was saved in this way probably more than 8 times.

sugar2

29 years a T1 diabetic, no ambulance required...until I got pregnant, and then I had to be helped about 5 times (over 2 pregnancies....have gone 2 years since, and no little green men or ladies required!

For me, it was loss of hypo awareness, and the hormonal swings of being pregnant that caused me teh problems...one of teh times it happened, I was actually in the hospital car park after seeing the diabetic consultant!

Angeldust

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
WINTER. COLD. RAIN. WIND.
Unfortunately I can't even count the amount of times.
At first I was uneducated (Had not even been told about DKA...SHOCKING)
and got the flu. Thought I was just really sick. My breathing got really shallow and I vomitted then passed out. Woke up 2 days later from a coma. They told my parents I wouldn't make it.

DESPITE looking after myself WELL I've had DKA about 5 times. It's really, really scary. Having gastroparesis tenfolds your chances. So even though I'm taking all my insulin (and was told 'you will never have dka if you take your insulin)...I have. I go into vomitting flareups...vomitting blood and acid every minute. I get severely dehydrated, my potassium and bicarbonates go through the floor and dka sets in, I have the sense to call the paramedics, I take my insulin....it still happens.

I'm sick of them all talking about me at the hospital like I don't look after myself or take my insulin because I DO.

Dollyrocker

Angeldust, that sounds awful.

Not wanting to state the obvious but taking your insulin won't stop you getting DKA if your blood sugar is off the chart!

You do test regularly, right?

Angeldust

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
WINTER. COLD. RAIN. WIND.
All the time... maybe 8 a day. Not out of paranoia, I have to.
Guess I got off to a really bad start with (sorry to say) rubbish doctors and nurses. Basically I have to educate them. They know nothing about gastroparesis..never told me about dka..about what not looking after yourself could do to you. (They told me only 'over a LONG period of time can damage be done'. I was a teenager in complete denial, thinking doing what I liked, living like my friends, for just a year or so would do no damage, I had an hba1c of 17 which I only learned RECENTLY. Nobody even called me in to say how dangerous this was. And now I'm suffering complications that hopefully none of you ever will.
I can't place all the blame on them because it was me in denial....but I still think it's absolutely shocking. You know..if someone had so much as turned round and said to me 'look THIS is what's going to happen to you' there's no doubt I would have been scared into taking action.
I didn't self educate because the state of denial I was in.

Fortunately now I have the best consultant gastroenterologist in London, GP, and endocrinologist in Scotland (which is a BATTLE to even be referred to. I think 3 people where I'm from were lucky enough to even get to talk with him.

edit: aslo I was told 'oh if you take your insulin there's no way you'll get dka...which is seriously, complete bull.

josie38

Hi,

When i said earlier that i had been so high that i needed an ambulance, people should take into account that you do get ill. If you have had tonsilitis and a chest infection an you cannot swallow and your BS is all over the shop then can get too high and need hospilisation. Also when i was pregnant. The last time i went to hospital with hi sugar level I had a broken cartridge stuck in the only pen i had but didnt realise until it was too late.

Everyone can make mistakes so its not about control it can be other factors- so do not judge until you know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

josie

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
Interesting post! I can't claim 'no green men' status as I've been woken more than once to find them standing around. I would guesstimate around 10 visits from the green men in 25 years and at least 3 of those were just after giving birth to my daughter (BG all over the shop, breast feeding, no appetite, you name it!) I will say, however, that my OH (ex millitary!) likes to treat and overcome himself, which is fab, but my parents (who have been in my life a bit longer that him!) are more flappy and have called 999 to get the pro's in. Which is understandable.

I think it's important to say that no matter how good your control is and how good your warning symptoms are, even after 10+ years, these can both change over night, which just sucks but is the nature of the beast!

We should have badges for those who are in the green men club! Perhaps I could get one if I go 5 years with no visits?! :lol: :p :mrgreen:

Giraffe

No paramedics yet! I've had two kids, and that was a v stable time really as I was hyper aware of control, and massively vigilant. I did have a blinding hypo in hospital after the second kid though, ended up crawling along the corridor and found a nurse who really had no clue and suggested a turkey sandwich.

Came close once at a big festival, felt a bit rough and had no testing kit so went to the always fabulous medics, I was heading up to around 20, they tutted and one particular guy was itching to send me to hospital, but I said I would be fine with some insulin and a sit down, and I was. He was a bit gutted, I could tell.

Giraffe

Actually I think the soaps are missing a trick by not having some diabetic characters, the dramatic potential is huge.