METFORMIN QUESTIONS and ANSWERS

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
You won't need to use Insulin if you keep good control of your Bg levels. It is not a 'given.'

I don't use Insulin but I do inject Byetta.......it is painless, quick and easy to do. Not uncomfortable at all.

If you are needle phobic.....well sometimes you just have to get used to things. Over my lifetime so far I have had all sorts of procedures, tests and treatments........I just think, do I want to conquer this......or not ! Tends to focus the mind really.

You inject into subcutaneous tissue.... fat......so it is pretty simple to do and hasn't caused me personally any problems. It is also very effective at what it does and allows you to do........it is an appetite suppressant so assists with weight loss and it helps even more if you adjust your diet as well.

Don't get worried about something that (a) you might never need and (b) isn't as bad as some make out !

Ken

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ken
Please can you help me to understand a little about my DB and the metformin SR 1000 XTwice a day? When I was dx my bgs were 29 .Now about 7 so if the met only reduce bgs by about 2 does that mean that the other 20 have been lowered by diet and exercise alone?
Also how low can you go with met would it be possible to come off the met or does your body need the help that the met gives it?
carol

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Carol.
First of all, when you were diagnosed you were quite obviously not a well controlled Diabetic....hence the numbers (29 mmol/l). During the time from then to now you have lowered those numbers to your present 7 mmol/l which I presume is a sort of average number ?

You must have done something to assist the medication, as you say diet and exercise ? Any weight loss would also assist in the reduction of your Insulin resistance thereby helping to lower your Bg levels.

Yes, you can come off Metformin. I can tell you that with confidence as that is exactly what I did. I used to weigh 19½ stone, was on max doses of Metformin and Gliclazide and thought that I too was destined for a 'bucket' of drugs for life........NOT SO. I was put on Byetta and then lost over 5½ stone, my Metformin was halved, Gliclazide was deleted and eventually I came off Metformin completely. There are people here who are on diet only who have had the same result.

Now, unfortunately for me I had to go back on 2 Metformin in the morning, after my recent anti-Cancer treatment I needed some help to get back my previous 98% on target control of my Bg levels. The Met is now helping me to do that but I plan to get off them again and as far as my Endo is concerned he is in no doubt that I will do that. I have now had to reduce the Byetta doses to 5ug twice daily as a result of my own efforts. My Bg control is getting better all the time.......the odd 'gliche'....but on the whole getting back down to those previous levels.

Metformin also has other possible benefits which should be considered before stopping the drug. Therefore I would suggest that you should discuss coming off Met with your HCP as I did before I came off mine completely.

Ken

HpprKM

Dislikes
Self absorbed and rude people! Motorists who are oblivious to the rest of the world, and really don't give a ****!
You won't need to use Insulin if you keep good control of your Bg levels. It is not a 'given.'

That is what I thought, but not according to an article I read recently, T2s often start with diet only, then oral medication but will eventually end up on insulin - I was quite stunned, having believed that if I worked hard at it I may stave this off :!:

cugila

Master
Dislikes
HpprKM said:

That is what I thought, but not according to an article I read recently, T2s often start with diet only, then oral medication but will eventually end up on insulin - I was quite stunned, having believed that if I worked hard at it I may stave this off :!:

Well, if you want to believe that....then you probably will end up on Insulin ?? Diabetes is what you make it, sit back do nothing, get high Bg levels, take Meds' and it is a slippery slope. Downhill all the way. That's the way I went over a period of 12 years before coming here, reading and digesting the information from knowledgable members who had great control without the use of Med's or even Insulin.

I read and researched everything I could get hold of, even 'filching' reference books ( I did give him them back !) from my own Endo's library. As a result of all that I turned back my poor control, started to realise that what I had been told was a load of b******s ! That is the view of those who have a defeatist attitude......only think that Diabetes is progressive because that is what they have been led to believe. If that's what they want to think....leave them to it !

Look around this Forum at all the success stories, both in the low and non-low carb areas. It can be controlled very well and can be kept under control for many years staving off complications. My goal is to stay off Insulin for as long as possible, if not for ever. I have a positive attitude to all things and that is what I would hope ANY Diabetic would have. We try to empower people here to take control early on and give them the support and hopefully guidance to achieve that..........so I will NEVER accept that it is progressive.

I would be interested to see that particular article and who it was written by, some people are renowned for their pessimism.........I'm not one of them !

It's what YOU make it........

Ken

rosgrech

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you Ken for your encouraging and straight talking posts - we should all read and absorb.

Rosemary

kukka

just found my thread.was a bit confused but ok now : )

can anyone tell me how long it takes for the metformin to kick in?

how long after you take it does side efffects start and how long in day they last ?

just trying to work out best time to take

doc only started me on half a 500 tablets as i have a dodgy tum already due to ibs and former ulcer/gastritis

oh and how long is it before we see results of the levels falling? thanks everyone x

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ken thanks for your reply
I am in the unfortunate position that I am 1stone under weight so ballancing the carbs and eating plenty is a bit of a problem ,anyway I am determined to try to keep my BGs under control,I am struggling with dawn phenominum and dont seem to be able to beat it but I will keep up the battle :) Any one who has got dawn phenominum sorted please let me know how you did it.
CAROL

rosgrech

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
kukka said:
can anyone tell me how long it takes for the metformin to kick in?

Mine kicked in straight away with levels going encouragingly lower the next day

how long after you take it does side efffects start and how long in day they last ?

I had a rumbley tum the first night and that's been all

just trying to work out best time to take

doc only started me on half a 500 tablets as i have a dodgy tum already due to ibs and former ulcer/gastritis

I was put on 500mg once a day (evening meal) a week ago and this morning I added (as instructed) another 500mg with breakfast

oh and how long is it before we see results of the levels falling? thanks everyone x

As above, I have seen an enormous difference in my levels - even some fives and fours creeping in. I have a particular problem with Dawn Phen... with levels previous between 9 and 12+ whereas this past week they've kept between 7 and 8.

I am keeping a rigorous eye on levels, carry dextrose tablets/cereal bar with me wherever I go but levels haven't sunk low enough for a glimmer of a hypo - so all seems very good. Only a week into it I know but it's like a weight has been lifted as I was having so much difficulty with my levels despite being a good weight, lots of dog walking and gardening, eating healthily (we have an allotment) nothing seemed to give enough kick to bring them down but Metformin seems to work for me. I am still on 2x80mg Gliclazide before breakfast too so no doubt they are playing their part too.

I am well pleased.

HpprKM

Dislikes
Self absorbed and rude people! Motorists who are oblivious to the rest of the world, and really don't give a ****!
Metformin and vitamin B its benefits and more....

As a comparatively new user of Metformin and with recent alarms over Diabetic medication I made checks on its side effects, it seems that it may cause a loss of vitamin B. I have also just read the following from the Daily Mail

I am also fully aware that vitamin 'overdose' is a potential hazard in some cases.

Just wondering what my wise and learned colleagues at the forum think about taking a daily course, particularly in relation to the use of Metformin :?:

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Re: Metformin and vitamin B its benefits and more....

As someone who has been on max doses of Metformin over the years and now only takes 1 or 2 in the morning on an Ad-Hoc basis (permission from endo) I wouldn't recommend anybody to take Vit B supplements without first checking with your GP that you actually need a supplement. That you actually HAVE a deficiency.

I never once was found to have a deficiency of any vitamin's until recently during a course of anti-Cancer treatment. I was found to have a deficiency of Vit B12 and also Potassium. Both of these deficiencies were put down to the treatment I had to have, NOT the Metformin.

The Vit B12 can easily be remedied by a course of injections or, as in my case, I opted for the daily tablets. The Potassium was even simpler, a Banana a day.......that plus plenty of coffee as both are good sources of Potassium.

The article you quote is mainly about Alzheimer's which again is really something that other tests would be required for a diagnosis.

Ken

Moving this to the 'Metformin Questions and Answers' section in Diabetes Drug's and Medication area where it is more relevant.

DazG

Is SR Metformin causing my numb lips?

Hi

I am currently taking 2x 750mg SR metformin daily, have been on these for 2 weeks. Before this I was taking 2x 500mg normal tablets a day.

Every day since taking them my lips are numb and tingling.

I didnt take any yesterday to see if this numbness would cease, and on the whole it did.

Is this telling me that the SR tabs are making my blood sugar too low?

I have cut down a lot on Carbs and the only main carb I eat now is the burgen (sp) bread for breakfast. I also dont eat anything sweet.

DazG

Re: Is SR Metformin causing my numb lips?

Oh P.s.

I know testing would give me an indication, but I have no strips here and cant get them till late next week.

debbietowns

Metformin SR. Morning or evening

Hi,
I thought it is probably quicker to ask on here than go back to my Doctor!

He has changed me to Metformin SR. One Tablet in the evening with dinner.

I keep forgetting to take it, so does it matter if i changed it to breakfast time, when i am more likely to remember?

The box says evening too. Why? Does it matter?

Thanks for your help
Debbie

Jude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Re: Metformin SR. Morning or evening

Hello Debbie

I take Metformin 1g with my breakfast and evening meal so I would not think it matters - what matters is that you take it every day and preferably the same time of day. If you keep forgetting it then I would suggest that you take it at a time when you are more likely to remember.

Jude :wink:

Ripelda

Another metformin question

I have just started on metformin SR (500mg) once a day, and as yet have had no stomach problems, but I do have one weird side effect, I get hungry about two to four hours after I take it. I take it with my evening meal, so I know I am not REALLY hungry, and I don't give in, but I am starving. I could eat my own leg, I am that hungry. Is this normal? If it is will it pass? It isn't mentioned on the leaflet in the box, but has anyone else had this experience? Thanks, Rippie.

croftmanor

Dislikes
arrogant and assertive drivers, people with BO, no excuse for it these days
Re: Another metformin question

Hi Rippie
I have just been prescribed metformin SR type, i am lucky i have had my dosage reduced from an 850mg twice a day, down to one 1000mg sr once a day,
I used to have terrible troubles with grumbly tummy and bum trumpets on the normal metformin,
so hoping the slow release will stop that, will let you know if i get any hunger pangs, i start my new tabs tommorrow morning
best regards
Crofty

DazG

Im on 750mg SR twice a day, and I dont get hungry at all, it did give me an upset stomach and make me vomit, but thats about it.

Im not sure about eating your own leg, a piece of cheese may taste better :D

Amanda Hugankiss

Dislikes
Chaos

I know when I am low I could eat my way through the kitchen - could it be that your BG has dropped becaused of the Met?