Whats the most important thing you have learned along the way of your Type2?

letstalk1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
One thing that I have learned is that no matter how much you think you know and how much control you seem to have, diabetes will still manage to find a way to surprise you.

Complacency is not something I can afford.
true

randymyers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I would really like to know.
Everything can and does affect my blood glucose levels. How many carbs I eat and exercise have the strongest effect on it. If I eat less than 20 grams of carbs a day my bg ranges from 85 mg/dl to 95 mg/dl , if I eat more than 50 to 100 grams a day my bg is 10 to 15 mg/dl higher. Exercise, brisk walking, lowers my bg levels. I have not found the relationship between the decrease in bg and number of miles walked yet.

Reactions: letstalk1

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.
I think I've learned that the battle is ongoing but you must never let it control your life.

letstalk1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Everything can and does affect my blood glucose levels. How many carbs I eat and exercise have the strongest effect on it. If I eat less than 20 grams of carbs a day my bg ranges from 85 mg/dl to 95 mg/dl , if I eat more than 50 to 100 grams a day my bg is 10 to 15 mg/dl higher. Exercise, brisk walking, lowers my bg levels. I have not found the relationship between the decrease in bg and number of miles walked yet.
Brisk walking lowers mine also.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Exercise, brisk walking, lowers my bg levels. I have not found the relationship between the decrease in bg and number of miles walked yet.

You will not solve this, as it depends on how fill our liver is at the time, and how much glycogen we have stored in our legs. You may even find that yesterdays walk has more effect on today’s BG then today’s walk….

A fast walk (or run) may even result in our BG going up, as glycogen is transferred from our liver to power our legs, but then the liver will become a lot more insulin sensitive until its glycogen stores are rebuilt, resulting in a lower BG peak from the next meal of carbs or protain.

Walking has been proved in a lot of reserach to lower BG over the long term, I know it works for me. Also if I go for a walk in the rain after dinner, by wife does the washing up.....

Reactions: OrsonKartt

letstalk1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
You will not solve this, as it depends on how fill our liver is at the time, and how much glycogen we have stored in our legs. You may even find that yesterdays walk has more effect on today’s BG then today’s walk….

A fast walk (or run) may even result in our BG going up, as glycogen is transferred from our liver to power our legs, but then the liver will become a lot more insulin sensitive until its glycogen stores are rebuilt, resulting in a lower BG peak from the next meal of carbs or protain.

Walking has been proved in a lot of reserach to lower BG over the long term, I know it works for me. Also if I go for a walk in the rain after dinner, by wife does the washing up.....
funny on the ''wash up''

Reactions: OrsonKartt

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
so frigging much it makes my head hurt. My life has changed completely. I had to give up paid employment and this week stop my voluntary. My gp does not prescribe meds so my social life now bears no resemblance to before but on the plus side I now get appointments. Before the fob off girls on reception just gave me the run around (it was probably the prescribing the wrong drugs rather than the diabetes that achieved access to the inner sanctum) and I have at last got a diagnosis and the pain I was in was not my imagination (arthritis and need both hips replaced). I renewed my acquantance with open university and have learnt so much through the courses, I had never dieted before and knew nothing about the science of nutrition but the life lessons I have learnt are
1:- life goes on until it doesn't. Make the most of it
2:- Its my life if you don't like it get out of it. Some people are worth knowing and some are not worth putting myself out for even if they are related (sister in law)
3:- keeping silent about issues makes it seem as if there is something to be ashamed of. Being upfront and talking about them makes life easier for others with the same issue, increases understanding, is fine with most people, those who have a problem with it are not worth knowing
4: - If you have a true ambition go for it. Don't wait because you just do not know what fate has in store

I have to say a lot of my attitude is based on my experiences at the time my husband was diagnosed with cancer. The big C was just not discussed. It was hush hush and treated as something shameful. People would look at him as a dead man walking. I was appalled to find a lot of people with diabetes treating it has something undiscussable. To their credit they were all living normal lives, eating the same as everyone else. The problem was really my GP making me into some sort of leper.

Last edited:

letstalk1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
so frigging much it makes my head hurt. My life has changed completely. I had to give up paid employment and this week stop my voluntary. My gp does not prescribe meds so my social life now bears no resemblance to before but on the plus side I now get appointments. Before the fob off girls on reception just gave me the run around (it was probably the prescribing the wrong drugs rather than the diabetes that achieved access to the inner sanctum) and I have at last got a diagnosis and the pain I was in was not my imagination (arthritis and need both hips replaced). I renewed my acquantance with open university and have learnt so much through the courses, I had never dieted before and knew nothing about the science of nutrition but the life lessons I have learnt are
1:- life goes on until it doesn't. Make the most of it
2:- Its my life if you don't like it get out of it. Some people are worth knowing and some are not worth putting myself out for even if they are related (sister in law)
3:- keeping silent about issues makes it seem as if there is something to be ashamed of. Being upfront and talking about them makes life easier for others with the same issue, increases understanding, is fine with most people, those who have a problem with it are not worth knowing
4: - If you have a true ambition go for it. Don't wait because you just do not know what fate has in store

I have to say a lot of my attitude is based on my experiences at the time my husband was diagnosed with cancer. The big C was just not discussed. It was hush hush and treated as something shameful. People would look at him as a dead man walking. I was appalled to find a lot of people with diabetes treating it has something undiscussable. To their credit they were all living normal lives, eating the same as everyone else. The problem was really my GP making me into some sort of leper.
Yup life goes on untill it dosent.

letstalk1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
google Gluconeogenesis to find out the science about it, I find an LC meal with 1 pork faggot in it generally my bgl drops. Same meal with a greedy 2 faggots and I get a big spike that lasts ages. Nothing in the ingredients showing for carbs or sugar, But I can eat a complete battered cod (cod in batter, not an abused cod) with only a small short rise of 1mmol/l and that is probably the ketchup.

Edit to add: Yesterday I had 1 slice of toast with Brussels Pate on it, and some tomatoes, and my bgl shot up over 3 mmol/l. The same toast with marmalade on it at similar time would hardly raise me. There is something they put in the commercial pate (and faggots) that is spiking me, but nothing obvious in the label.[/QUOTE
Thanks I shall check that out.

janrat68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
ive aslo found a couple of jseful things to one is that i enjpy exerise even more now with me its weights and walking alway loved walking woth my dogs but now advage 2.5 miles a day and love 12000 steps per day tommow im ainting for a 5miler there and back im not exactiy slimmer of year with my 2 main things help me my meter and my fitbit npw i enjoy life im nore aware of whan i eat and with my mertre im slowly gettinga grasp on what i can eat and what doesnt supose im the hoonymoon phase that people talk bout on here (being only dignsed type 2 back in may) im on slow relase meto and i aimig to come of it complety in the next few months

letstalk1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
ive aslo found a couple of jseful things to one is that i enjpy exerise even more now with me its weights and walking alway loved walking woth my dogs but now advage 2.5 miles a day and love 12000 steps per day tommow im ainting for a 5miler there and back im not exactiy slimmer of year with my 2 main things help me my meter and my fitbit npw i enjoy life im nore aware of whan i eat and with my mertre im slowly gettinga grasp on what i can eat and what doesnt supose im the hoonymoon phase that people talk bout on here (being only dignsed type 2 back in may) im on slow relase meto and i aimig to come of it complety in the next few months
I need to get a fitbit for my power walking. Im upping my walking also and added some jogging inbetween.

jlm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
learning what food raised my blood sugars - so for me the blood testing was paramount to learning what I needed.
The second was all the variations that make a difference but also that this is all completely individual so you have to learn what is right for you.
Can you recommend better sources of good fats, some animal, some plant for a lchf diet? thanks. jeff

Bill_Tanner

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do not worry if your change of diet and consumption does not reflect in your BG readings.... it will eventually and it is more satisfying once you have learned what affects your spikes and drops

letstalk1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Do not worry if your change of diet and consumption does not reflect in your BG readings.... it will eventually and it is more satisfying once you have learned what affects your spikes and drops
for sure

Element137

Type of diabetes
Type 2
1) eating fat - does not make you fat - I wish I knew this 30 years ago :)
2) eat to your meter - the best advice, ever :)
3) I now know how good it feels to have a 32'' waist again :)
4) it's relentless - I have nothing but respect and admiration for everyone who lives with it :(

letstalk1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
1) eating fat - does not make you fat - I wish I knew this 30 years ago :)
2) eat to your meter - the best advice, ever :)
3) I now know how good it feels to have a 32'' waist again :)
4) it's relentless - I have nothing but respect and admiration for everyone who lives with it :(
I am headed to my 32'' waist again- maybe 34 lol.

letstalk1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
The most important thing I've learned since being diagnosed Type 2 is to take care of my health, try to increase activity levels and try to achieve the LCHF diet although I love my carbs. I have extremely limited dietary choices due to sensory sensitivity in my Asperger Syndrome but I would like to aim to keep carbs at a minimum and achieve the LCHF diet.

From Johnny with my best wishes. x.
Taking care of myself is #1 for awhile now and so important , because I took and still do care of others also.

Reactions: dbr10