Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
When I had my lunch earlier I was waiting for my mum to bring it over and I sorted out my insulin pen and needle and this girl looked at me, gagged and called me disgusting.

Most say ignore, others with slightly different opinions. They'd have reason to regret those actions and words had they met me

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It was in a Mcdonald's restaurant. No one else had a problem but her[/USER]

Alex, ignore these idiots. They're fortunate enough to not have a chronic condition in their life - that combined with a lack of education makes them ignorant fools.

My last 'comment' was in Subway when I took a bolus injection. The woman sat opposite virtually lunged across the table, but only to tell me that her nephew used the same BG meter with his smartphone.

Not all encounters are bad and in fact - myself and this lady had a good blether whilst we ate about diabetes and technology. It was a breath of fresh air:)

Not all encounters are bad, but unfortunately some are. Don't let them get to you, they're just stupid.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Stupid Girl the World is filled with ignorants guess she thought you were on narkotics

Reactions: Sharon14448

Postleneo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How awful... Only happened to me once when I was on MDI's... This old dear (sorry for the ageism.. no disrespect intended) looked at me in discust tutting rather loudly! I merely looked at her and said " don't worry love. Just heroin....had a ****** of a day!" With this she was flabbergasted and scuttled off! Ha ha

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I have never had this happen. I'm amazed that she reacted that way and she obviously needs some treatment for her mental health condition.
Happened to me once in 1970 - I was 8 years old and at Boy Scout camp - Just before breakfast I went outside the meal area to give my injection - another scout of the same age saw me and you would have thought I was the Devil incarnate. But we were only 8 so I can't say I was surprised - just a little embarrassed because I wasn't like everyone else. Then at 10 playing competitive ball one of the other players commented that I should not be playing because I have diabetes - so I punched him out - and felt way better about it Lol .....

JoolzB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people
When I had my lunch earlier I was waiting for my mum to bring it over and I sorted out my insulin pen and needle and this girl looked at me, gagged and called me disgusting. I was nearly in tears, this hasn't happened to me before, I was only saving my life by injecting myself, now im self-conscious again over it. Has anyone had this happen and what did you do about it?
I have had this in my work place! I've been told I should be more discreet and inject in the toilet which is used by lots of people! I hide myself when injecting and it's always under the table. I think it's disgusting that people can be so nasty especially when it keeps us alive!!!!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think you need to learn from my mum. She tore a strip off 2 old ladies several years ago and told them if I didn't inject I would die! They were all apologetic after that and said they would never judge on appearances again. Seriously though it's your life and you need to look after yourself so just either explain or tell them to get lost. Take care.
Almost worse I once got sacked for being hypo on the phone and an MP in Westminster for whom I was working told me not to do a bloodtest in front of her!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
How awful... Only happened to me once when I was on MDI's... This old dear (sorry for the ageism.. no disrespect intended) looked at me in discust tutting rather loudly! I merely looked at her and said " don't worry love. Just heroin....had a ****** of a day!" With this she was flabbergasted and scuttled off! Ha ha
I think this is a great response! I've used it myself!

BassPrince007

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I miss chocolate, hahaha.
Not finding an underused part of my stomach to inject when in public.
When I had my lunch earlier I was waiting for my mum to bring it over and I sorted out my insulin pen and needle and this girl looked at me, gagged and called me disgusting. I was nearly in tears, this hasn't happened to me before, I was only saving my life by injecting myself, now im self-conscious again over it. Has anyone had this happen and what did you do about it?

I have had this in many different ways. Disgusted look, disgraced look, concerned look, surprised look and many comments. But you know what I put it down to not understanding and being judged. Therefor I do not let it get to me. I do find myself trying to inject discreetly but you can not help people noticing. Carry on with your life do not ever let un-educated people bring you down.

David Lyons

Type of diabetes
Type 2

I now inject when I need to regardless of the location. The people who say something like this are obviously not diabetics and don't have someone in their family and friend circle that are. Where do they expect us to go? - To the toilets? Perhaps the girl thought you were up to something more sinister. Keep on doing what you need to do to look after yourself and dont feel you have to apologise or make excuses to strangers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Karen10176

Type of diabetes
Type 2

I was in a Toby carvery l went into the toilets to do my insulin and this little girl came in and her mother said what on earth are you doing surely you could be a bit more discreet with your drug taking. I told her it was insulin and walked out in disgust. It upset me .

fleurtess

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
spiteful people, noisy naughty kids
I was accused of being a drug addict by a very fat ignorant woman who shouted I should be ashamed of myself. My dear husband got up stood over her and shouted she was a very stupid nasty woman, he told her I was type 1 and I needed insulin to keep me alive. I was in tears as everyone was looking at me. Now 5 years later I don't worry about other people, if they have a problem it is their fault not mine. So please don't let stupid people put you off injecting

ecapdeville

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Sadly, we live in a world where we almost doesn´t exist. Here in Mexico nobody thinks about Diabetic people around... in my case, my family is the one that asks me to go to other place to inject me, they think is disgusting... so... everytime I need the pen, I have to go to the bathroom... or other place so nobody could see me... sad isnt it?

stonyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Frequently need to inject in public places - and to make it reasonably quick and discreet -
I simply inject through my trousers or shirt as the case maybe.

Farrowlily

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Just ignore them they are obviously very immature I do my injection in public because I felt so awful injecting in the toilet people should be taught about these things in school

tommo1968

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have never encountered a problem like this but often wonder if someone watching will call security or the police.
Maybe some people struggle to accept injections and are not familiar with treating diabetes it is difficult to blank out and if people struggle to cope with the condition this could make matters worse but try to ignore ignorance in others.

Apple21269

Take no notice, she's the one with the problem not you. Inject yourself and enjoy your meal.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

There is more of this out there my last works dragged me to a medical as I was accused of contaminating the staff when I needed to test my blood sugar - was told had to test in the mixed toilet - this needs to stop

Glucobabu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Frequently need to inject in public places - and to make it reasonably quick and discreet -
I simply inject through my trousers or shirt as the case maybe.
I can understand you trying to be discreet but wouldn't injecting through trousers or shirt compromise sterility of the injection and pose an infection risk?

Reactions: Bon83

Glucobabu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There is more of this out there my last works dragged me to a medical as I was accused of contaminating the staff when I needed to test my blood sugar - was told had to test in the mixed toilet - this needs to stop
At work I go into another room if available or after telling the others what I am doing just turn round and do it. Luckily I have had no adverse comments in 40 odd years I have been testing and injecting in public, apart from an odd look occasionally!

xlisa23x

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would of said some choice words to her!