Time for new NHS diet guidelines?

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There are loads of success stories on this site of Type 2 diabetics following low carb diets and getting great results. I've reversed my diabetes by diet alone and stopped injecting insulin 5-times-a-day as a result. So how come the NHS are still issuing dietary guidelines encouraging eating pasta??? with links to other websites where they encourage a balanced diet including eating bread, potatoes, bananas, dates, prunes... foods known to spike glucose levels?

Are any of the doctors and professors on the at Diabetes.co.uk advisory panel in a position to have a word with diabetic Theresa May about the NHS changing their guidelines?
Yes people here have done well eating LCHF unfortunately we are a minority group given the number of diabetics there are all together in this country so would take a lot more than just us to convince the NHS to change their guidelines studies and trials would have to be done and maybe Theresa May does not follow LCHF

Md2t

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Whilst I agree the guidelines are due a review, low carb is typically advantageous for type 2. Theresa May has type 1. This is a different disease. Please remember the 10% of people with non-type 2 diabetes.
Type 1 may be different to type2 in some ways, but has been found to respond well for some people to a low carbohydrate lifestyle. One notable example is Dr Richard Bernstein, author of 'Diabetes Solution',

Reactions: dbr10 and Guzzler

Md2t

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yes people here have done well eating LCHF unfortunately we are a minority group given the number of diabetics there are all together in this country so would take a lot more than just us to convince the NHS to change their guidelines studies and trials would have to be done and maybe Theresa May does not follow LCHF
OK. I'm just an isolated anecdote for having reversed my type 2 diabetes by dietary lifestyle changes. So are the dozens more like me that I have met personally, but it's harder to dismiss the larger number of cases posted in this forum and how can the over 200,000 people completing the diabetes.co.uk low carb program be ignored?

If a patient has an adverse reaction to a drug, doesn't the doctor offer an alternative? If a set of dietary guidelines consistently fail shouldn't doctors offer alternatives that have been shown to work?

Reactions: donnellysdogs

frankbegbie

The NHS recommendations, to be fair, are in conjunction with regular exercise (both cardio and muscle building).
After being diagnosed I brought BG under control with exercise and about 100g Carbs/day. I now have about 200g/day of carbs on average without increasing my average BG of 4.5 / HbA1c 32. I am still experimenting with my diet as I don't want to lose any more weight or to cut my exercise (11st 7lb now after being c.17st at Xmas).
However, it depends on activity. I may have a bowl of porridge (made with almond milk) and fruit for breakfast if I am going out for a long walk or on the rowing machine for a while or both. I will probably have toast & avocado afterwards or maybe mackerel or something similar. I find that I cannot do much exercise now without a loading of carbs. I could when first diagnosed as exercise was not as vigorous and I had plenty of stored fat too.
If, however, I have to spend the morning working at the computer at home, or (God forbid) sitting in a meeting, then it is bacon and eggs for me. I have tested a couple of times having porridge and not exercising and BG goes down just fine but I no longer feel comfortable eating lots of carbs if I'm not about to burn them up.
I don't believe that any discussion about diet is really relevant without including levels of activity.

After reading that I wonder if I could go back to my old diet of porridge and toast on the days that I go swimming?
Then back to HFLC after that.

Food for thought; pun intended.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
After reading that I wonder if I could go back to my old diet of porridge and toast on the days that I go swimming?
Then back to HFLC after that.

Food for thought; pun intended.

Why not do bacon and eggs and the swimming and feel even better?
Does porridge and toast taste better?

frankbegbie

That's what I'm doing at the moment but I do miss my toast.

And to be honest I feel as if I'm poisoning myself with all this fat I'm eating.
Suppose I'm just finding it hard at the moment to believe that eating lots of fat is 'normal'.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
OK. I'm just an isolated anecdote for having reversed my type 2 diabetes by dietary lifestyle changes. So are the dozens more like me that I have met personally, but it's harder to dismiss the larger number of cases posted in this forum and how can the over 200,000 people completing the diabetes.co.uk low carb program be ignored?

If a patient has an adverse reaction to a drug, doesn't the doctor offer an alternative? If a set of dietary guidelines consistently fail shouldn't doctors offer alternatives that have been shown to work?
They should; but diabetes treatment is a bit like the Emporer's new clothes. No one says there are no clothes; and almost no one (with a few exceptions) will tell you that the diet advice is actually harmful or that the treatment is inadequate. Dr. Bernstein has said that the ADA advice to eat wholegrain bread is guaranteed to kill diabetics. This is the same advice given by the NHS.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's what I'm doing at the moment but I do miss my toast.

And to be honest I feel as if I'm poisoning myself with all this fat I'm eating.
Suppose I'm just finding it hard at the moment to believe that eating lots of fat is 'normal'.
Try half a Lidl protein roll with butter.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've had a few of those in the past then read somewhere they are loaded with carbs.
It may have been on here?
Supposed to be about 8g carbs per roll. I usually have half with butter, bacon and eggs. They seem okay.

D

Deleted member 371625

I find that low carb doesn't give me enough energy for vigorous exercise, I just get tired too easily. It is fine for normal activity, just doesn't give me energy quickly enough.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

Sadly you could have millions of people on this forum saying go low-carb and still the 'experts' in the big establishments would say it's anecdotal and look to their food-industry financed researchers to give them 'scientifically' proven answers. It's corporate Group-think with hidden agendas and a sad reflection on the way the world works. I'm afraid we just have to keep sniping every way and every where we can and it will slowly change.

Damtov8

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Having been trying to eat low carb for a very long time I have found the antipathy towards it crosses the line into mania - I was about 6 months pregnant when I had a doctor screaming at me that he'd get me taken into hospital and 'fed properly' if I did not eat exactly what was on the print out he gave me. His hands were shaking in fury when he gave me the diet sheet. Three weeks later I had pre-eclampsia.
The normal weightloss regimes of low carb low fat don't work for me - I collapsed from a lack of energy, but got sneered at for having no will power, cheating, lying - gorging was always in there somewhere too.
Ideas certainly need to change, but they are so entrenched they are more a system of belief than research or fact based concepts.
Sorry to hear about your awful experience. I suggest that you visit the Type 2 Diabetes Rebels Facebook group. If you join that group you will find a lot of support to help you to stay well and do low-carb the right way. Good luck

Damtov8

Type of diabetes
Type 2
How many millions more people will have to die horribly in suffering until this changes. Conspiracy is the understatement and for the sake of money millions of people all being sacrificed horribly by the drug companies. The guys selling drugs on the corner have killed less people than the drug companies!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry to hear about your awful experience. I suggest that you visit the Type 2 Diabetes Rebels Facebook group. If you join that group you will find a lot of support to help you to stay well and do low-carb the right way. Good luck
I got thrown off that group trying to explain that I did not have access to the foods they were telling me to eat - American foods I assume, things I have never seen for sale here.

rosalindp

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Having been trying to eat low carb for a very long time I have found the antipathy towards it crosses the line into mania - I was about 6 months pregnant when I had a doctor screaming at me that he'd get me taken into hospital and 'fed properly' if I did not eat exactly what was on the print out he gave me. His hands were shaking in fury when he gave me the diet sheet. Three weeks later I had pre-eclampsia.
The normal weightloss regimes of low carb low fat don't work for me - I collapsed from a lack of energy, but got sneered at for having no will power, cheating, lying - gorging was always in there somewhere too.
Ideas certainly need to change, but they are so entrenched they are more a system of belief than research or fact based concepts.
Pre-eclampsia may be caused by eating insufficient protein...
Kind regards,
Rosalind

~ Experience: That marvelous thing that allows you to recognise a mistake when you make it again.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm diabetic, and I have no problem with being called diabetic. I don't find it offensive. It is what it is. If people see me only for being diabetic, and not my profession - then that's their problem ... and the UK prime minister? Also diabetic, she talks about being "diabetic" in TV and radio interviews.

I travel extensively, especially through Europe with many different languages and the term "I am diabetic" is understand by most people including waiters and doctors. I am in France currently, and following your post, I just tried out, in French, "I am a person with diabetes" and reply came back, "ah vous sommes diabetique."
I personally can't see why anyone would be offended by being called a diabetic it makes it sound like some are ashamed of it . I am sure people see us the same way if we say we are diabetic or a person with diabetes but obviously some people are sensitive about it

Reactions: dbr10