daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
I have seen two US soaps which have included diabetic characters. I don't think they are screened in the UK. In the two cases you see the characters with typical symptoms of T1. Then there is a crisis and they end up very dramatically in hospital. Then they start injecting and you never see them again. They don't seem to realise there is a lot more action to be seen.
(The Bold and the Beautiful, The Young and the Restless)

Dollyrocker

I get really cross when diabetic characters are shown injecting insulin to cure their hypos :roll: this has happened on both Hollyoaks and Neighbours in recent years, I think Hollyoaks had to broadcast a correction/apology as they had so many complaints.

It's no wonder the general public are so uneducated, I'm actually wworried that if I did lose conciousness due to a hypo in a public place that someone would inject me with insulin because that's what's generally thought that you should do :(

Giraffe

Did they really show that? Holy moly. That would be like showing an asthmatic being doused in the debris from a hoover bag.

"I can't breathe...help.."
"Quick, shove dust up his nostrils..."

Honestly, that's terrible. You would have thought if they were going to bother writing a diabetic storyline they would do BASIC research. I hope someone lost their job for that, what a **** up.

Julia Robert's character in Steel Magnolias is diabetic isn't she? They pour orange juice down her in one of the early scenes I seem to remember.

Giraffe

There could also be scope for smaller. less dramatic incidents.

One of my previous flatmates, for example, once drunk the whole bottle of full fat emergency coke after a night out, despite being told not to, and when confronted he said "well, it doesn't matter, there's another bottle" Yes, of diet coke, you prawn. Instant conflict, good for soap storylines.

Or a diabetic could be stopped from going into a club because of having injection kits or Lucozade, and their mates go in and the club falls down and the diabetic is saved :lol:

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Must admit, one of the few times I've been annoyed with a flatmate was when he ate my last banana, carefully saved until the right degree of ripeness. On the other hand, I knew a certain man liked me when his flatmate told me he'd got a bottle of sugarfree squash to keep in their house. Not as exciting as most things on soaps, though - perhaps that's why I don't watch any.

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
Giraffe said:
Julia Robert's character in Steel Magnolias is diabetic isn't she? They pour orange juice down her in one of the early scenes I seem to remember.

I love that film! I was about 5 years into my diagnosis when it came out, watched it with my Mum and we both blubbed like babies :lol: They did correct her hypo with OJ (OJ was better than candy, or so Sally Field's character said!) but I liked the way they filmed it, the sweat on her upper lip, her shaking, lack of concentration and awareness, followed by the contrite, apologetic behaviour when she became aware again. I don't think they linked her kidney failure to the diabetes well enough but still, I loved it!

jopar

So far lucky 21 years and no paramedic required...

I've actually been threatened with the police and asked to leave a campsite :shock: :shock:

we'd been going to the same campsite for several years, and on this particular year there was a not very nice family turn up, their kids were horrible to say the least, started to bully my daughter and when they pushed her over and shoved her ice-cream in her face, enough was enough I found their parents caravan... Banged rather than knocked on the door, this rather large women stinking of BO and scraffy as hell opened the door :shock: :shock: I nearly wet myself, but I mustered the courage to inform her what her kids were doing, and that I wasn't having none of it, and if she didn't curtail there behaviour then I would be making a complaint to the camp warden etc, her reply is unprintable :shock: and I legged it quick :)

The next day, one of her toe rags, just strolled into our trailer tent, just as I was injecting my insulin for tea (using a syringe as I had broken my pen) the little git wouldn't go :shock: I managed to usher him out... About an hour later the warden appeared in front of our tent :?:

Informed us that unless we packed up and left immediately, he would be calling the police :? :?:

Why :?:

He had been informed by another camper, that we were injecting ilegal drugs :shock: and that this ilegal activity wasn't permitted or tollerated on site, so go or the police would be called...

So I explained that I was injecting insulin, got all my kit out to show him (asked him to to call Chris another regular to the campsite, she as a nurse could verify that it was insulin etc) He was so apologetic and embarressed :lol: :lol: :lol:

And the rough neck family, well they were sent packing the next day, when one of their kids was caught attempting to nick something out of a caravan awing...

Dollyrocker

Sounds like an exciting holiday!

I got interrogated at the Download festival this year when I confessed to having my diabetes pens, needles etc at security. They threatened to confiscate them :shock: Next time I just won't bother saying anything, it's not like they search you thoroughly anyway :roll:

Beav

Dislikes
Alcohol
I havn't been diabetic that long (nearly 5 years) I do alot of weight training and moderate cardio.
I did wake up the other morning felt fine, did my BS and it was 1.5 :?

diabetes51

Dislikes
I am old fashioned so rude people, swearing , lack of good manners.
People trying to make me live in fear of complications instead of encouraging me to enjoy life. especially those who have never bothered to educate themselves about T1 diabetes.
People who eat/sleep/drink their diabetes,and let it rule their life!
51 years on insulin and only needed paramedics once for a hypo. Like others on here who lived alone, I have managed to survive some hypos through that instinct for life. Also, the main thing about hypos is, the insulin is degraded by the body after a short length of time, so then the body can produce glucose through the production of stress hormones and the brain becomes more alert. It is why some people feel they can miss time in a hypo, they keep being aroused through the stress hormones stimulating the production of glucose.

Never been to hospital with a hyperglycaemic coma since a teenager, (14 yrs old) when I played darts with my syringe against a wall. Decided to kill or cure myself and scared myself silly, so behaved after that.

I did once get taken to hospital by my mother when a needle broke from its hub while injecting. That was in the days when you boiled syringes and needles and stored them in spirit until you reused them. Ahhh - those were the days!!!!! only thing to keep you stable were urine tests using clinitest and not letting the test turn orange. which occurred above 10mmol/l. How did many of us with those poor regulated BS levels ever manage to survive so long, sometimes makes me wonder.

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just once in 38 years... though I didn't see the paramedic because I didn't wake up til I was in A&E. Must've come to slightly in the ambulance though, I remember noticing cute little windows at the bottom of the doors, which I'd never seen before.

That said, also one ambulance ride strapped to a board, with a suspected broken neck.... don't plan to repeat that one either!

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
jopar said:
He had been informed by another camper, that we were injecting ilegal drugs :shock: and that this ilegal activity wasn't permitted or tollerated on site, so go or the police would be called...

When I went on a Diabetes UK kids camp in the 80s, they said something similar happened to them one year. All of them sitting in their 'tour bus' (old coach painted with a patches of whatever left-over paint they could get) in a car park, injecting before their take-away dinner on a day out. Amid mass fish & chip session the police arrive....

Fortunately by the time I went to camp, they had smart minibuses with DUK logos.

Margi

The only time I woke surrounded by people was in the time of ancient insulins whose hypos had much more severe symptoms.

I was visiting my parents with my hubby and misjudged food/exercise (small helping of shepherds pie and then ran round from one beach to the next for the fun of it and forgot to eat more before I went to bed. Duh!) So when I started sweating in the night, my hubby got up to go get the honey pot from the kitchen, which was how we dealt with it in those days because I never woke up. On the way, he knocked on Mum and Dad's door, poked his head round and said, 'Don't worry if you hear me rattling around, I'm just getting something because Margi's hypo.' Bad choice! :shock:

Mum shot out of bed and began panicking. She had not dealt with my diabetes ever, I'd gone off and been independent almost as soon as I was diagnosed at 17, so Mum had no idea how we did things after about seven years of marriage. So, instead of letting hubby get the honey and deal with things, she got on the phone to the doctor.

I came round with the bed surrounded by people. The whole family were visiting to see the start of the Tall Ships race at Falmouth, so there was Mum, my sister, Dad, a few others I can't remember and a really dishy young German sailor I had seen in town that day!! :D Or so I thought.

The main light was on and they all seemed to be shouting. I remember trying to say, 'Leave me alone,' but I don't think it came out until the umpteenth try when I almost screamed it. I very clearly remember someone, probably Mum, say, 'She doesn't know what she's saying.' :shock: Oh yeah? You all know what it's like coming out of a bad one. You need complete quiet, no light, no input etc until your brain starts to be able to process stuff again. My hubby knew that, but he was never able to take control of other people, and sort of got pushed aside. Of course, I'd had the honey by then: hubby used to rub it on my lips and I'd lick it off

The dishy young sailor disappointed me by turning out to be the doctor who had been called. He agreed to let the ambulance people, who had also been called, take me to hospital just to shut my Mum up. Hubby and I both knew it was pointless, but what can you do? He'd already rubbed enough honey on my lips to bring me round, and I only needed to be left alone to sleep for a while then I'd have woken up and eaten something more and been fine, but no... Mum was still panicking so off I went.

In the morning, I was the one panicking. I was blowed if I was missing the start of the race, so I got up, got dressed and said I was going home. Staff said, 'No you're not. We need to find out why you're having all these unexplained hypos.' Well, that was a puzzle. 'What unexplained hypos?' I asked. 'There was nothing unexplained about last night's, it was just a bit of careless miscalculation.' I kept right on getting dressed. I explained that I was on holiday, I no longer lived in the area etc. and that the traffic from Truro to Falmouth was going to be horrendous with the race about to start, and we needed to be there, get out on the water in Dad's boat and see it from the sea. I wasn't going to be late for that for anything.

It turned out that my notes had been muddled with someone else's! When someone thought to ask if my name was the same as the one on the notes they had, they realised their mistake. I still had to sign a release form, but Dad, bless him, had come up to take me home, all on the back roads so we avoided the traffic jams and we were in time to see the ships sail.

Happy endings.

Before I left home permanently to get married, I had a couple of 'unconscious mobile' episodes. The first one I was out for about three hours and came round rolling around on the lawn with Mum presenting me with a plate of something and mashed potato. She never did learn that sugar should come first... well, she did after the one in the night. You'd never think she was from a family of doctors. Mind, I guess most of them were practicing before insulin was even discovered. This all happened in the good old days of glass syringes too.

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
mmmm, yum, I want some honey on my lips, hypo or not! :D :lol: :p

Unicornz

9 years here and never needed any help or been woken up by parademics because of a hypo, even with my lowest reading of 0.9mmol/l! I felt so weak I couldn't move (I was in bed) and my boyfriend had to run downstairs to get me some orange juice, it was quite scary.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Unicornz said:
9 years here and never needed any help or been woken up by parademics because of a hypo

Long may it continue! :)

Nigel

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
Very interesting thread.

My diabetes is 2 1/3 years old now and i've never needed assistance from anybody. I hope this is always the case, but reading all the experiences makes me feel better than it can be coped with if it does happen

:)

imalittlefishy

Coming up for 9 years and I've only had paramedics once...although I probably should have had them several more times. My mum is a nurse and thankfully she's been around for all but one of my serious hypos (when I was at a friends house, and that was the time an ambulance did get called!). I think I've probably had 8 or 9 all told where I've needed medical assistance, almost all of these were between the ages of 13 and 16 so puberty probably wasn't helping! And a few more where I've needed assistance as in "Sit down, stop arguing and drink this coke" :p
xx

Dragonflye

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've had paramedics a couple of times, once when i was about 8 I was on hols and had a really bad hypo which my parents coulnt bring me out of.
another occasion I saw paramedics was when an incompetant teacher sent me home "ill" - being hypo i had no idea of what was going on... left the school to get on a bus and an ambulance passing doing a patient transport thought that a 15 year old outside a school looking "drunk" was a little odd so stopped and did my blood sugars and was low, they were going to call for another ambulance but the guy been transported was really lovely and said there was no need and we could share :) went to the hospital and then my mum picked me up :)
the only other time was when i was about 2 weeks pregnant first time and things went haywire, hubby and parents couldnt bring me round so ambulance was called!!!
i've been very luckly with always having my parents or hubby and over a 5 year period both who have been awesome with bringing me round, always had glucogen injections around which "usually" do the job in bad cases however last night my hubby had to administer 2 glucogon injections!!! so praying i dont have another bad episode before my next prescription is ready on tuesday or else will be another paramedic job :?