Would paramedics check a tattoo?

Giraffe

Spurred by the paramedics thread - would they actually check a tattoo on your wrist and take notice, or would they just think it was decorative? I have had several medic alert bracelets but they never seem to last.

Celtic.Piskie

Dislikes
Whole-wheat past and rice, tastes horrible. Cats, spiders, and people who think nick jonas is a musician.
Mine is on my wrist, and it's the same place they look for a bracelet.

It is a Cadeceus, the same symbol on a medic aler bracelet, known all over the world. I have 'insulin dependant' and 'diabetic' written either side of it.

If they don't take any notice of it, they're idiots, as it's exactly the same info and design as on the bracelets, and pretty much all paramedics know that some people have the info tattoo'd on them.

If it looks medical, they'll take notice, if it looks decorative, they'll take it as decorative.

Giraffe

Ok cheers - is that snake and the staff? And is it pretty straighforward font? That is exactly what I was thinking of getting, but I'm quite the wimp.

Celtic.Piskie

Dislikes
Whole-wheat past and rice, tastes horrible. Cats, spiders, and people who think nick jonas is a musician.
That's the one, two snakes around a staff, mine has wings too. They're an optional extra lol.

Mine took about 30 mins, it's uncomfortable, as the skin is quite sode. The one on my side was so much worse, 3 hours of a geisha and panther...... It's a little like a combination of stinging nettles and burning..... but i'm going back to get mine coloured in for 2 more hours, so it's not that bad at all lol.

If you want to get it done, the most important thing is someone good. Whereabouts in the UK are you? I can PM you some decent places.... but honestly word of mouth is the best.

Keep it simple, straightforward, and very easy to read. They will look at it.

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had to look up the word recently (to identify a symbol I saw in a former RAF hospital, now NHS), so wanted to mention that it's spelt "caduceus". Not being pedantic, but it will be much easier to find an image if you spell it right.

Dollyrocker

Celtic.Piskie said:
If they don't take any notice of it, they're idiots, as it's exactly the same info and design as on the bracelets, and pretty much all paramedics know that some people have the info tattoo'd on them.##

If it looks medical, they'll take notice, if it looks decorative, they'll take it as decorative

That's a little harsh, I'm sure in an emergency situation they'd do a quick check for jewellery but not a tattoo, what if you're wearing long sleeves or a bracelet that covers it? That's not their fault is it?

Tattoos are by definition decorative, having your medical information tattoo'd on your body is not really common enough for paramedics to automatically check for, I'm sure they have more important stuff on their mind at that time

Beav

Dislikes
Alcohol
Theres a guy who works in a local shop who has "insulin dependent" tattood on his arm :eek:

redrevis

I think a paramedic would check your wrist for medical alert jewellery, but I wouldn't guarantee they would check the tattoo. But like it's been said, the more it looks like amedical alert the more likely they are to check it. I wouldn't think wearing long sleeves would cause a problem as the would have to look under that for a bracelet anyway and if "TYPE 1 DIABETIC" for example, is right infront of them i'm sure they'll take notice.
Regarding the medical symbols, the Caduceus and the Rod of Asclepius often get mixed up including what they mean, as they are very different symbols with different meanings, so definitely do plenty of research before you decide on a design. :)
Here's a good read regarding the differences and where the confusion came from if you're interested.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
You would hope that paramedics would spot a tatoo, but can't rely on them. T1 husband collapsed in a supermarket once[25 years ago] and neither the paramdics nor the A&E staff spotted his necklace. He now wears a bracelet, with a cadduceus charm and info engaved on it. But hasn't needed paramedics for years.
Hana

IrishBird

That's my biggest fear!

If im out and about on my own and i suddenly get ill and pass out, that no one would check my wrist for my medic bracelet.

Its on my right hand, kind of a chunky bracelet and the face has the medic symbol with the snake and staff and on the other side 'diabetic' is engraved on it.

I would they would

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
id like to think they would see it as they go to test blood pressure and also pop in a cannula :D

moonstone

Not sure - when checking pulses, paramedics often go for the neck so they mightn't actually see anything on your wrist. I was a first aider for several years and that's what we were taught to do, and that's what we were told paramedics do.

iHs

If people go to this website, they can get hold of temporary tattoos which last for about 7
days :)

meditemptatts.com

hallii

Try to visualize a dark rainy night, there are no street lights, the patient has fallen on muddy ground and the clothing is wet and muddy.

I know that I used to feel for a bracelet, both wrists and have a quick feel around the neck area.

I suggest that a tatoo would not be seen or looked for. As anyone who has dealt with unconcious diabetics will confirm, a quick sniff of the breath is a good indicator.

H