Diabetic retinopathy

Sjr83x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I've recently started with proliferative diabetic retinopathy. I've had a large haemorrhage in my left eye on July 7th which is being watched to see if the blood drains away of its own accord
On Aug 11th my right eye started to bleed and I've had some laser on that. Now I'm waiting til the end of Sept for follow up on both eyes.
I know that the laser could cause a couple of extra bleeds following the treatment and I was asked to rest. But it's now been 2 weeks since the laser on my right eye and I'm still getting bleeds on that
And now my left eye has just had another bleed which seems to be getting bigger.
My question is, is this normal? To still be having bleeds 2 weeks following laser treatment? Do I just need to keep waiting and trust that this is right or is it getting worse?
I've taken a lot of time of work as my vision was so affected and I was asked to rest but not sure how long this is going to go on for?
Any help muchly appreciated
I should add I'm 34. Been type 1 for 21 years

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hi there @Sjr83x
if I were you I would be speaking directly to the ophthalmology department that carried out the treatment -- to ask their advice.
I have had laser before and to my knowledge the bleeds were stopped--
I'm 59 and been T1 for 45 years !

also tagging @Dark Horse for some support

Reactions: Sjr83x and Gemma2

Gemma2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree with Himtoo. You should contact your eye Clinic asap. I have had a lot of laser. Type 1 - 54 years.

Reactions: himtoo

Sjr83x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi there @Sjr83x
if I were you I would be speaking directly to the ophthalmology department that carried out the treatment -- to ask their advice.
I have had laser before and to my knowledge the bleeds were stopped--
I'm 59 and been T1 for 45 years !

also tagging @Dark Horse for some support

Thank you for responding. I have that guilty feeling that I'm wasting people's time or I'm over reacting but when it's new and your sight it's so scary. I've now totally lost all vision in my left from the bleed. It's cloudy and full of blood so not detached retina.
Thanks again

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
@Sjr83x
you are not overreacting at all -- it is your sight -- DO NOT feel guilty -- phone call first thing tomorrow !!!!!!!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
My question is, is this normal? To still be having bleeds 2 weeks following laser treatment? Do I just need to keep waiting and trust that this is right or is it getting worse?

No don't wait, get in touch with the Ophthalmology Clinic asap and tell them that you've had further bleeds and are concerned.

If the bleeds don't disperse and the bleeds continue then they may decide to do a Vitrectomy operation, when they perform the OP they can carry out further laser surgery whilst under anaesthetic, the operation has a very good success rate and is worth considering if matters don't improve, some info on the operation and what it entails:

http://www.diabeticretinopathy.org.uk/vitreous_hemorrhage.html

Reactions: himtoo

Dark Horse

Some people do continue to get bleeds after laser but I agree with @himtoo - try phoning the hospital and ask to speak to the on-call ophthalmologist. If that's not possible, you can make a visit to eye casualty. Meanwhile, try keeping your head in an upright position as much possible (even when sleeping) to try and help the blood settle under gravity. As @noblehead says, a vitrectomy might be advised.