Weight gain

goosey39

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I feel i have to reply to this about fruit, my sugars stand between 4.7 and highest after eating about 6.8 and i eat alot of fruit and have lost 3 stone 4 1/2lb on 22 weeks
I know everyone is different but people saying fruit will make you gain weight is wrong in my opinion

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I feel i have to reply to this about fruit, my sugars stand between 4.7 and highest after eating about 6.8 and i eat alot of fruit and have lost 3 stone 4 1/2lb on 22 weeks
I know everyone is different but people saying fruit will make you gain weight is wrong in my opinion
Fruit definitely makes me put on weight - but what people are saying is that fruit can spike blood glucose readings.
An individual can only go by what works for them.

goosey39

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Freema says
what to avoid when one wants to lose weight is all kinds of bread, corn , potatoes, rice, cakes, all sugary drinks , all kinds of juice, fruits and..when one is diabetic ones blood glucose raises from all kinds of carbs, and then when one's blood glucose is raised ones insulin is also very raised in type 2 diabetics, and high insulin leads to rapid weight gain unfortunately.

I know whats good for one is not good for another , i was just saying fruit alone does not make you put weight on

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Freema says
what to avoid when one wants to lose weight is all kinds of bread, corn , potatoes, rice, cakes, all sugary drinks , all kinds of juice, fruits and..when one is diabetic ones blood glucose raises from all kinds of carbs, and then when one's blood glucose is raised ones insulin is also very raised in type 2 diabetics, and high insulin leads to rapid weight gain unfortunately.

I know whats good for one is not good for another , i was just saying fruit alone does not make you put weight on

I think in many cases it actually does . fructose is mainly transformed in the liver . and the liver is somewhat overactive in transforming also proteins into glucose... I think the liver is the expert in transoplanting fructose into the fatcells
http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20080731/fructose-may-make-you-fatter#1

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/all-about-fructose

goosey39

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think in many cases it actually does . fructose is mainly transformed in the liver . and the liver is somewhat overactive in transforming also proteins into glucose... I think the liver is the expert in transoplanting fructose into the fatcells
http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20080731/fructose-may-make-you-fatter#1

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/all-about-fructose
Well all im saying it dosent me :D and my BG are fine and My Hba1c was 57, 3 months review its now 42

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Freema says

You are very fortunate!! Many of cant eat fruit because it spikes our blood sugar and can cause weight gain. Fructose is NOT a healthy sugar either. Natural or not. Many health experts suggest no more than 25 fructose or less per day. Fruit is not touted as the health food it once was.

I'm happy for you that you can eat it and maintain bs control. This is why we always recommend getting a meter and testing.

Reactions: goosey39

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well all im saying it dosent me :D and my BG are fine and My Hba1c was 57, 3 months review its now 42

well I also still eat some fruits ,but I used to a lot of times eat like 10 pears at a time before I became diabetic, and prefer the sweet fruits more than vegetables... I could literally binge in fruits and just thought it was healthy the more the healthier... now I think amounts matters .. and 2 pieces of fruit is preferable to me.. still have a hard time leaving the fruits to the next day if I have them in my home

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm going to have to starve myself to death by the look of it, and ditto for the chicken with 0% carbs/sugar, i'll ditch the fruit, bread and potatoes then if they're going to be a problem, its going to be a long, hard journey by the look of it :(

No need for starvation!
There are vast numbers of delicious foods out there that have minimal blood glucose impact.
You can fill up to satiety on them.

Here are some food lists
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/a-few-asking-for-low-carb-food-lists.96321/

The last thing you want to do is go hungry, because that just leads to feeling sorry for yourself, miserable, and then you fall off the wagon big time.

I would have a look at these food lists and pick a few things that you like, that appeal, and that you can stock up on. Then every time you feel like you want to fall headfirst into carbs, you have nice stuff available.

goosey39

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
well I also still eat some fruits ,but I used to a lot of times eat like 10 pears at a time before I became diabetic, and prefer the sweet fruits more than vegetables... I could literally binge in fruits and just thought it was healthy the more the healthier... now I think amounts matters .. and 2 pieces of fruit is preferable to me.. still have a hard time leaving the fruits to the next day if I have them in my home
I eat alot of veg too but not potatoes, cant tolerate rice at all, banana's or grapes or baked beans everything else so far has been ok

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's not so much about weight loss it is more about blood glucose control. A lot of us find that fruit causes spikes so we avoid it. If you can take it then fine but it probably doesn't help your blood sugar control overall so why have it?

goosey39

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's not so much about weight loss it is more about blood glucose control. A lot of us find that fruit causes spikes so we avoid it. If you can take it then fine but it probably doesn't help your blood sugar control overall so why have it?
There is nothing wrong with my control

Chromeautofill

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Golf, tennis, darts and snooker
Re avocados, I bought on on Tuesday just gone and went to eat it on Wednesday evening, it was the first time I'd ever handled one and it felt soft, I was expecting it to feel like a potato, this one felt soft, I'd seen stories in the press about "avocado hand" where people slice their fingers open cutting the avocado in half, this one opened VERY easily, at the his point I thought to my self "hhmmm this isn't looking too good" and when I separated the 2 halves and saw a squishy, yellowish green pulp I threw it straight in the bin, I was expecting it to not only to feel like a potato to a touch but was expecting it

Chromeautofill

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Look like one inside too, as in a firm pulp, not a soft, mushy pulp
It was still 2 days within the 'use by' date, but as ive never seen the insides of one before I just presumed it had gone overripe, still can't convince myself that's how they're meant to look though, maybe once I can psych my self up again I may give it another go

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Look like one inside too, as in a firm pulp, not a soft, mushy pulp
It was still 2 days within the 'use by' date, but as ive never seen the insides of one before I just presumed it had gone overripe, still can't convince myself that's how they're meant to look though, maybe once I can psych my self up again I may give it another go
Yuk. I'd toss it too. There is no use by date. They ripen at different speeds and no way to know how fast. Soft and squishy is gross. There are a few avo threads about to to tell if they're ripened and how to ripen them. They are ripe when you push the tips and fatty part and there is just a LITTLE give. Eat then or store in the refridge to stop the ripening. Once they're soft they will be gross. They should have firm unblemished flesh. Of course if there is a little blemishing you can scrape it off or dig it out and eat the rest.
If they're still too firm ripen on the counter or outside of the fridge. Cold stops the ripening. They will last awhile in the fridge. There is a bit of an art to 'staging' them but once you find how firm or soft you like them it's easy.

Try again. Get back on that horse haha.

JackieCarroll

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Unfortunately, our bodies can't really tell the different between natural sugar and processed sugar. All sugars are broken down by the body into monosaccharides (natural fruit sugars, processed refined sugars, all of it). The difference with fruit is that it contains fibre, which can slow the digestion of the sugar down.
A small amount is fine in moderation, but diabetics and prediabetics will find that their tolerance is very low. I can and do eat a few strawberries most evenings, loaded with cream. The cream slows the digestive process, meaning that I don't get so much of a blood sugar spike.

Don't be disheartened by a low carb diet. It sounds daunting, but once you get into it, it's not too difficult. It's actually quite a decadent diet, and you find that you are so fuller for longer and eat a lot less in general.

I can wholly recommend the Blood Sugar Diet books by Dr Michael Moseley, if you are looking for some guidance and ideas about what to eat.

I have to agree with that. Had my first carb free meal tonight and no pangs of hunger 3 hours later!

Chromeautofill

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Well I earned my corn today, I had a bacon butty for my breakfast (on hovis low carb bread) no lunch, a trip out to Conwy that involved some serious walking up and down hills, I'm ready for my tea now, chicken and broccoli with no potatoes . . I'm sure if my legs could talk they'd be calling me a b'stard after what I put them through today :)

Reactions: Alison Campbell