Rhubarb Rhubarb!!

Jibba Jabba

Thank you Resurgam. I think you're right, I need to test and see if it's ok for me. It's just that the carb value seems very unclear going by this thread and what is on my label.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you Resurgam. I think you're right, I need to test and see if it's ok for me. It's just that the carb value seems very unclear going by this thread and what is on my label.
I think the carb count may be unclear because nobody (so far as I know) eats rhubarb without a sweetener of some kind either sugar or some other.. so when they show the nutrition I think it is often assumed that there will have ben sugar added. That may explain some of the discrepancies.

Reactions: Freema

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
I think the carb count may be unclear because nobody (so far as I know) eats rhubarb without a sweetener of some kind either sugar or some other.. so when they show the nutrition I think it is often assumed that there will have ben sugar added. That may explain some of the discrepancies.
Hi @bulkbiker
Just fyi, I eat chopped raw rhubarb with unsweetened full-fat yoghurt. I sometimes mix with raw 'cooking' gooseberries. No sugar or sweetener. I think it's fair to say that I don't have a sweet tooth, but I really enjoy the sharpness contrasting with the yoghurt.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @bulkbiker
Just fyi, I eat chopped raw rhubarb with unsweetened full-fat yoghurt. I sometimes mix with raw 'cooking' gooseberries. No sugar or sweetener. I think it's fair to say that I don't have a sweet tooth, but I really enjoy the sharpness contrasting with the yoghurt.
Wow brave man.. I think that would set my teeth on edge even with my new unsweetened palate.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I saw a snatch of TV today where someone had made rhubarb and sorrel icecream - which was apparently, delicious.
Make a custard using eggs and cream for the icecream and you should be OK to experiment with that.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
One issue is the fiber content and should curbs that most people do not adsorb be counted....

JackieCarroll

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Steve.

Where did you get the carb figures for Rhubarb. We have very different figures for Rhubarb ?
15g Carbohydrates per 300g of Rhubarb ?

Ken.

"New research shows that compounds found in the pink stalks can have a substantial effect on blood sugar levels and improve glucose tolerance. It's thought the active ingredient is a compound known as rhaponticin, say the researchers from the Beijing Institute of Radiation Medicine, China.
Animal tests showed the fruit could also help lower cholesterol levels. Mice with diabetes had reduced blood levels of triglycerides (fats in the body) and low density lipoprotein, also known as bad cholesterol - high levels of this can increase the risk of coronary heart disease. 'These results indicate they have a noticeable anti-diabetic effect and could be potentially used as a new agent to treat Type2 diabetes and its complications,' say the researchers."

Reactions: Glenmac

Glenmac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have found that rhubarb cooked,sweetened with stevia,mixed with full fat Greek yoghurt and sometimes some double cream added is delicious and fine for my bs levels.It always feels like a very naughty treat!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Different varieties of rhubarb probably have v different levels of sweetness (and pinkness), as well as being affected by the weather. They also crop at different times (early or late), so a producer may well supply different varieties at different times of year.

The nutritional info is probably best taken as more of a guideline, really with your meter being the best indicator.

Anybody spot the Pirates of Caribbean quote?

Reactions: ringi
B

badcat

I love rhubarb but sadly the feeling isnt mutual! - if I eat it more than very occasionally I get gout in one of my big toes which is bloody painful!
I used to have a big clump in the garden that I had to dig up when things got too bad with it. The clump was too big to put in the composter so I thought Id just put it in a big pot with some weedkiller and without any extra soil and wait for nature to take its course so I could then break it up some more. My plan didnt work tho - not only does the ****** completely refuse to die, its sprouting like no tomorrow and looks disgustingly healthy

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just planted three new rhubarbs, grown from seed so still babies, but I have hopes of them becoming a rhubarb forest at the end of the garden.
Gout is often reduced by cherries - there is something in them which encourages the dissolving and excretion of the crystals which form in the joints and cause the problem. I buy a mixture of frozen fruits which contain cherries and have had no problems with my left foot since I began eating them a little at a time, with cream. I never got confirmation that it was gout, as I do not have a good relationship with my doctors as for decades every time I reported a problem all I got was a diet sheet to reduce my weight (which it didn't) as it was all due to my being fat. I had a very sore joint though.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just planted three new rhubarbs, grown from seed so still babies, but I have hopes of them becoming a rhubarb forest at the end of the garden.
Gout is often reduced by cherries - there is something in them which encourages the dissolving and excretion of the crystals which form in the joints and cause the problem. I buy a mixture of frozen fruits which contain cherries and have had no problems with my left foot since I began eating them a little at a time, with cream. I never got confirmation that it was gout, as I do not have a good relationship with my doctors as for decades every time I reported a problem all I got was a diet sheet to reduce my weight (which it didn't) as it was all due to my being fat. I had a very sore joint though.

I have a new rhubarb patch this year. I was given a part of a crown that was being split, which I firstly planted into a large tub. When it outgrew the pot (60cm diameter), I re-split it and planted into the plot I had prepared. It has gone bonkers! The initially planted crown was about 20cm across, it is now about 3 x 1.5 metres, and I am about to expand it's plot a bit. I think it's safe to say ot likes it where it is.

For the first couple of weeks, I made sure I watered it each day, and fed it. I sampled a few stalks a couple of weeks ago, despite vowing not to harvest it at all in the first 12 months. It was delicious, but I'm being very stoic again, and gone back to my no-harvest ban until next year.

I also found the slugs loved it, so it may be wise to take whatever anti-slug measures you favour, right up front.

Enjoy!

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
The leaves are full of oxalate, so should be disposed of carefully.
Rhubarb leaves are poisonous and I was raised to never compost rhubarb leaves but I am assured that it is perfectly safe to do so. The oxalic acid rapidly breaks down making it safe as long as no one starts eating the leaves before they decompose. I have included rhubarb within a variety of composting methods with no problems. I am one of the gardeners that pop an inch of rhubarb in the planting hole with brassicas. Sometimes I use leaves and I am still here.

I have not felt inclined to try this combination but I am assured rhubarb and pineapple together are poisonous. I will give that a miss.

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I have a new rhubarb patch this year. I was given a part of a crown that was being split, which I firstly planted into a large tub. When it outgrew the pot (60cm diameter), I re-split it and planted into the plot I had prepared. It has gone bonkers! The initially planted crown was about 20cm across, it is now about 3 x 1.5 metres, and I am about to expand it's plot a bit. I think it's safe to say ot likes it where it is.

For the first couple of weeks, I made sure I watered it each day, and fed it. I sampled a few stalks a couple of weeks ago, despite vowing not to harvest it at all in the first 12 months. It was delicious, but I'm being very stoic again, and gone back to my no-harvest ban until next year.

I also found the slugs loved it, so it may be wise to take whatever anti-slug measures you favour, right up front.

Enjoy!
I know many people harvest through to October without a problem but since yours is a new planting you may wish to consider following the general advice to stop cutting at midsummer. Let the leaves absorb the summer to feed the plant so it produces next year. Give it a feed of bonemeal to see it though the winter and a winter mulch of fallen leaves. If there are still dead leaves around the crown in March it is worth removing them. A crown takes three years to fully recover from forcing but I never force it anyway.

chrisgg

Hi Steve.

Where did you get the carb figures for Rhubarb. We have very different figures for Rhubarb ?
15g Carbohydrates per 300g of Rhubarb ?

Ken.
I think the problem is that in the USA the carb figure includes the fiber, whereas in the UK the fibre is excluded. So in the UK the official carbs in rhubarb are 0.8g/100g but about 4.5g/100g in the USA.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@chrisgg a bit late, as the discussion was over 2 years ago now.

However, as a regular rhubarb eater, I take 0.8g carbs per 100g as my guide only (source: Tesco website) as I totally agree with @Brunneria's post regarding possible variations due to varieties, growing conditions etc , and tend to treat any figures as such for all fruits and veggies that I eat.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I've looked up a couple of sources, being inspired at the idea of eating rhubarb, by this thread, and the fatsecret nutritional info site I favour says 4.5g of carbs per 100g, as does wikipediea, under 'garden rhubarb' (USDA).

Sounds right! as it is a vegetable, 77% carbs. But a bitter one. (Half the amount of carbs of the same weight of onions, for example. I always get shocked when I see how many carbs the humble yet magnificent onion has.
That's fruit and veg for you!)