BG figures and colds

Jenny40

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi,
I seem to have picked up a cold and I wondered if it is normal to suffer low levels while you have a cold?
What is the best course of action for this if it is normal.
I have only been diagnosed as type 1 for just over a month now so I am still learning and experiencing new problems as I go along.
Also my hair seems to be falling out quite a bit at the moment, is that normal too?

Sjr83x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

Your BG levels are definitely affected by colds and infections. For me infections normally send me high but colds not as much. I find I eat differently with a cold has that been the case? Also have you taken medication for it as some are not suitable for diabetics?

Fearless36

Colds, flu etc are all things that can impact your blood sugars without question. I too notice when I'm unwell due to one of those my appetite changes and so I tend to snack on things like warm vegetable soups to keep my sugars and carbs stable. The other thing that can cause some upset to balance is if you are too hot/cold. I remember learning that summer months tend to have the highest occurences of hypos because sugars tend to drop because of the heat and also because people tend to eat less and do less testing. Its interesting that in winter months, people tend to turn up the heating and this has a similar effect in that carbs can be burned off quicker and faster than the normal period. As Sjr83x right says, not all cold/flu meds are suitable for diabetics, and you really need to read the fine print to be extra safe. When an illness shows up, do regular blood tests just to ensure you don't go too high or low.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi,
I seem to have picked up a cold and I wondered if it is normal to suffer low levels while you have a cold?
I have only been diagnosed as type 1 for just over a month now so I am still learning and experiencing new problems as I go along.
Also my hair seems to be falling out quite a bit at the moment, is that normal too?

Yes, I get lows with colds. Test frequently and eat extra carbs if needed.

Keep hypo treatments near too, including by your bed.

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Hi,
You will likely discover several different things will affect your BG Levels and what makes it even more difficult is that there is often a lack of consistency - one cold your sugars may run low while the next cold they may run high - even a couple of days before you come down with a cold may have an affect on your BGs as your immune system is doing battle.
Like most Type 1s I just test my blood with more frequency and make adjustments based on the BG levels.
In regard to your hair falling out - that's symptomatic of a possible thyroid condition that is apparently one of many complications associated with diabetes. I know this because the last time I got blood work done My doctor said that my thyroid was within range but just barely. So I did some research on possible side affects of a thyroid disorder and hair loss was one of them as well as unexplained weight gain or difficulty losing weight. Fortunately for me I had no side affects so I guess my thyroid is still functional ...