Metformin

Katharine5256

Hi - I am on 2 x 850 metformin daily but am having trouble remembering to take the evening dose. How long should one leave between doses? Ideally I would like to take 2 x 850 in the morning with the other pills, but dont know if this matters? I am more likely to remember the second dose at lunchtime, leaving say 4 hours between doses? Any help would be gratefully received.
Thanks. Kate

Reactions: Liam1955

Meggsie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I take my second one @ bedtime.

type 2 on insulin plus oral medications. also have hashimotos and fsgs

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Hi @Katharine5256

It would depend on wether you are on Standard Metformin or the Slow Release Metformin.

Reactions: SimonCrox

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Slow Release is very flexible as the leaflet shows. I think even the standard is not critical but read the leaflet.

layladream

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm on the slow release metformin and my nurse advised me to take it at 6pm after tea. Have you asked your nurse if you can be more flexible time-wise? Hope this helps.

Netty144

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've been told to take my metformin with food,so I take breakfast and evening meal this way I remember to take them.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I take mine (standard) with my first meal of the day and the last meal of the day. As I am on multi meds so easy to remember but I would forget if I didn't have my weekly pill box. It is a seven day box with individual 'tubes' one for each day which are split into four smaller receptacles for individual time slots. I can see at a glance whether I have taken my dose of any med or not. Might be worth investing in one?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I take several tablets morning and night and I have done for years so my am dose of (standard) Metformin is easy to remember, but I take a dose of Metformin at dinner time which I could easily forget. I just have a repeating daily alarm set on my phone so I don't miss it.

Last edited:

helga_t75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I was always forgetting to take my second dose and my DN swapped me to the slow release version so I take it all in one go.

I've played around with timings and find it most effective if I take it in the evening, after my evening meal and before I go to bed.

Good luck

barriebanana

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi - I am on 2 x 850 metformin daily but am having trouble remembering to take the evening dose. How long should one leave between doses? Ideally I would like to take 2 x 850 in the morning with the other pills, but dont know if this matters? I am more likely to remember the second dose at lunchtime, leaving say 4 hours between doses? Any help would be gratefully received.
Thanks. Kate

Hi Kate
I take mine with breakfast and the second with evening meal as advised by doctor I’ve also got a daily pill box thing which helps to remind me
Even so I occasionally miss the evening one but it doesent make any difference to my bg test readings

Ixarix

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I take two doses of metformin, once at breakfast, and once at dinner. I also take other meds. I have a pill box which my meds. I sometimes still forget to take before my meal, and take as soon as I remember.

SimonCrox

The original MR metformin was designed to be taken with the last meal of the day. But in practice, splitting the MR dose can give better glucose control than taking it all in one go - the MR modification was mainly to improve tolerability rather than make it once per day. So you could try MR metformin morning and lunchtime and see how it goes - it might work, it might not.
Best wishes

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I take metformin twice daily....neve rhad any problems until lately when I think taking a vit d tablet toppled my tummy grrrr