Insulin
Can't use almond flour what can I substitute it for in the recipes on here

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That probably is going to depend on the recipe. Do you have an allergy to almonds specifically as I think that you can make other nut flours if you can have those instead.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi @suekt139,

There are many other flours to choose from and it really depends on your personal likes and dislikes.

Possible substitutes are coconut flour, sunflower seed flour, lupine flour, soy flour. All of these are less than 10g of carbs per 100g. There is also linseed flour, which has almost no carbs, but should definitely only be used in combination with some other flours -- as I have found that the bread/rolls taste like cardboard if used in excess.

There also other nut flours such as macademia nut flour, hazelnut flour and walnut flour, but these tend to be a bit higher carb.

Personally, I always use a mix of flours when baking, trying to balance taste and carbs -- but it took some experimentation to get a feel for this.

Also remember that all of these flours don't contain gluten, so you always have to use something to increase the elasticity of the dough, so that it can trap the air while baking. For this, I use psyllium husks.

kimlala

Hi @suekt139, I don't buy almond flour because it is ridiculously expensive (here in Texas). My go to for baking, meat balls, bread is flax meal. Really difficult finding things to substitute for baking as I am gluten free. I used to use rice flour, and coconut flour, but it spikes my bs. If you can only find the seeds, you can use a coffee grinder to make meal. I also find cream cheese and eggs help make a binder. Best of luck!

Reactions: ziggy_w

suekt139

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @suekt139, I don't buy almond flour because it is ridiculously expensive (here in Texas). My go to for baking, meat balls, bread is flax meal. Really difficult finding things to substitute for baking as I am gluten free. I used to use rice flour, and coconut flour, but it spikes my bs. If you can only find the seeds, you can use a coffee grinder to make meal. I also find cream cheese and eggs help make a binder. Best of luck!
Thank you I will see which is ok with me

suekt139

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @suekt139,

There are many other flours to choose from and it really depends on your personal likes and dislikes.

Possible substitutes are coconut flour, sunflower seed flour, lupine flour, soy flour. All of these are less than 10g of carbs per 100g. There is also linseed flour, which has almost no carbs, but should definitely only be used in combination with some other flours -- as I have found that the bread/rolls taste like cardboard if used in excess.

There also other nut flours such as macademia nut flour, hazelnut flour and walnut flour, but these tend to be a bit higher carb.

Personally, I always use a mix of flours when baking, trying to balance taste and carbs -- but it took some experimentation to get a feel for this.

Also remember that all of these flours don't contain gluten, so you always have to use something to increase the elasticity of the dough, so that it can trap the air while baking. For this, I use psyllium husks.
I have problem with nuts I might try linseed flour see how I get on thank you for your reply