In recovery

Cindee68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
ok here goes my story.
I was diagnosed with T2 July 2nd 2014. I did great for a few months until my husband moved us from Orlando Florida to Georgia for his career advancement. 1 year after the move, he cheated, and claimed that he wanted both lives. I wasn't going to put myself through that so I made him leave. (I was a stay at home mom for 12 years) he moved in with the other woman the day after I made him leave. 2 months later he files for divorce and custody of our 11 yr old. He was giving me way too little income for us to live and find a way to start over. He had a lawyer I did not. I was evicted, and went to court for daughters absences (she had very enlarged tonsils that has since been removed). The stress of my life changing events took a toll on me. I was diagnosed with severe depression one week after I learned of the affair. I am insulin dependent. No matter how well I managed my meals my sugar wouldn't go below 300. My divorce was finalized March 16 in my favor. I won full custody with child support and alimony. So things were starting to look up for about 2 days. He said he wasn't going to pay alimony until the final decree was filed. So the struggle got worse and so did my diabetes. 3 months later, June 20th he received that official divorce decree. That very same day he cancelled my insurance which was the first thing he told me he would NEVER do. I was covered through his job. My insulins went from 35 copay to over $ 500. So at this point I run out of my crucial long acting Lantus. On August 20th I got very ill. All I could swallow was water and I would go to sleep, wake up vomiting, drink more water and go to sleep. That was on repeat for 2 straight days. My 24 yr old came over (my 11 yr old called her about my illness) she saw one look and called the ambulance. I was admitted to Intensive care unit on The 22nd with DKA. Pretty much on my death bed. The doctors were shocked that I wasn't in a coma. After 5 days I'm home and things are starting to look up again. I stopped all of my depression meds (couldn't afford them so I'll just pull myself out of it) thanks to good old Walmart, I purchased my long acting insulin for just under 25 dollars however the little bit of humalog I had wasn't any good because I'm sitting here typing instead of sleeping because my sugar is almost 500. Waiting for pharmacy to open to get my fast acting one. My sister has been diabetic for 18 yrs and told me since going into such a severe stage with my sugars that I probably progressed to T1. Is that even possible? I have no clue lol. On a positive note though, my mind is getting better with this rebuilding my life thing, I'm happy to wake up to another day of this because I have to make a happier life for my daughter. We'll have a good night everyone and thanks for reading about my soap opera life lol

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hey @Cindee68 wow it sounds like you have had an awful time, sending you a big hug from the UK. It does also sound like you have been mis-diagnosed, although some t2 can also suffer DKA, it's more common in type 1, so I hope you get some quick acting soon and get those levels down, it amazes me that in the US there isn't a net to catch people who fall through the system and need medication to stay alive, you have my sympathy. I hope your depression eases, getting better blood glucose control will help your mood too so bear that in mind, one day you could write a book about your experiences perhaps. Take care :)

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Hi Cindee,

welcome to the forum.

a sad story indeed, not much I can say, some men can be complete . . . . . and absolute . . . . . . I'm sure you've heard the song "The only way is up", maybe that was a UK song not heard in the US, Google it and sing along, because that's where you're going. OK, some positive thinking there but it helps a lot. Being in the UK I can't comment on the US health care system or lack of it. We all thought Obama Care was the answer (sort of) then Trump comes along and . . . . . . .

If you get the chance, spend some time reading the other threads, you will note a theme and that is that type II diabetics tend to do much better by cutting their carb intake. Having been admitted to a U.S. hospital only last year I know that the hospital I was in at least was very happy that I was following a low carb diet.

I hope things are getting better for you, make sure you take care of your health, it might be possible to avoid certain meds by a change of diet.

All the best
Graham

Reactions: Prem51

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Type 2 cannot progress to type 1. But type 2 can burn out your insulin producing cells so then needs to be treated the same way. We're you tested for type at diagnosis?

It sounds like you have had a really rough time, so look after yourself, and we are here to listen and help.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Welcome to the forum.

Just my point of view - but if your ex breaks important promises (like about your insurance) with no warning then you are better off without him. As for saying he 'wanted both lives'..... well - what an idiot.

Just a thought though, if you cut down the amount of carbs you eat you won't need so much insulin. x

Reactions: Juicyj and Prem51

kimlala

ok here goes my story.
I was diagnosed with T2 July 2nd 2014. I did great for a few months until my husband moved us from Orlando Florida to Georgia for his career advancement. 1 year after the move, he cheated, and claimed that he wanted both lives. I wasn't going to put myself through that so I made him leave. (I was a stay at home mom for 12 years) he moved in with the other woman the day after I made him leave. 2 months later he files for divorce and custody of our 11 yr old. He was giving me way too little income for us to live and find a way to start over. He had a lawyer I did not. I was evicted, and went to court for daughters absences (she had very enlarged tonsils that has since been removed). The stress of my life changing events took a toll on me. I was diagnosed with severe depression one week after I learned of the affair. I am insulin dependent. No matter how well I managed my meals my sugar wouldn't go below 300. My divorce was finalized March 16 in my favor. I won full custody with child support and alimony. So things were starting to look up for about 2 days. He said he wasn't going to pay alimony until the final decree was filed. So the struggle got worse and so did my diabetes. 3 months later, June 20th he received that official divorce decree. That very same day he cancelled my insurance which was the first thing he told me he would NEVER do. I was covered through his job. My insulins went from 35 copay to over $ 500. So at this point I run out of my crucial long acting Lantus. On August 20th I got very ill. All I could swallow was water and I would go to sleep, wake up vomiting, drink more water and go to sleep. That was on repeat for 2 straight days. My 24 yr old came over (my 11 yr old called her about my illness) she saw one look and called the ambulance. I was admitted to Intensive care unit on The 22nd with DKA. Pretty much on my death bed. The doctors were shocked that I wasn't in a coma. After 5 days I'm home and things are starting to look up again. I stopped all of my depression meds (couldn't afford them so I'll just pull myself out of it) thanks to good old Walmart, I purchased my long acting insulin for just under 25 dollars however the little bit of humalog I had wasn't any good because I'm sitting here typing instead of sleeping because my sugar is almost 500. Waiting for pharmacy to open to get my fast acting one. My sister has been diabetic for 18 yrs and told me since going into such a severe stage with my sugars that I probably progressed to T1. Is that even possible? I have no clue lol. On a positive note though, my mind is getting better with this rebuilding my life thing, I'm happy to wake up to another day of this because I have to make a happier life for my daughter. We'll have a good night everyone and thanks for reading about my soap opera life lol
Hi @Cindee68, it sounds as if you were diagnosed wrong as being a type 2 and in a honeymoon phase. I can't say for sure, as I am not a doctor, but I can share my story. Originally, I was diagnosed with type 2, and being unique (seriously, this is what they called me in the hospital, as I had severe DKA and weighed 93-95lbs). I am going to make a suggestion that you contact ADA in your town. I don't agree with their thoughts on treating diabetes, but they may have help or direction to help you financially with medications, etc. I live in Texas, since last August, and find it has been a battle with the medical community. However, I requested a GAD-65 and a c-peptide test because my conditions didn't match type 2. This is months after not being able to control bs, and barely eating, trying to keep bs low. Tests confirmed LADA/type 1, my doctor was shocked. Feel free to message me if you need any support, I know this is scary and you have had much stress. Best of luck to you!

Cindee68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you all for the positivity. Today I managed to keep my bs under 200!!! I actually had the energy to do some much needed house work! i have some appointments in September for more test. While in ICU with DKA I learned that my A1C was 12. Still trying to understand that lol. I'll get this all down. Never knew there was so many different things I have to learn about diabetes.

Glenmac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So sorry you have had such an awful time,as David John posted,the "only way is up" now you are home with your daughter.Take things a day at a time.This is a great site and many folks on here are very knowledgable about both D1 and D2 and every thing connected,and willing to share their experience.Just ask away and someone will be along to help.Take care.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
You will see a lot about low carb diet on this forum - it can help a lot, even if you are insulin dependant I have read good reports of it helping to keep BG more stable.
In UK units, 200 is about 11 mmol/l - not bad considering what you've been through, but tell us how you are eating and what insulin you need and suggestions will be made, I'm sure.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Hi @Cindee68 what is in the past can help to rebuild your future. When I went through a period of being denied access to my son maliciously I took this pain and became a British Karate champion, you can do a similar thing. It is a mind thing.

Great job on reducing your numbers, I know you have it in you to go further, can you set this goal. If you are able to swim, walk or cycle this will help depression and your diabetes. It is not clear if you are lower carbing but you might want to try this and perhaps intermittent fasting as this has mental clarity as one of it benefits. I feel as though I am rooting for you, and I am sure others are also, so if you want any specific help let us know.

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
It sounds like you have really been through it, but it's true what they say... what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. And you will bounce back stronger than ever.
I just wanted to reiterate what others have said about low-carb working for us insulin dependents too. I re-imbraced the low carb life 5 weeks ago, and my blood sugar has gone from 16 (288) to an average of 5.5 (100).
It's worth trying (and I am on a tight budget too).