Test Results - Good News then the Bad news

Sue Morton

Got the test results of my Hbca1 whatever its called and I was 6.2 down from 9.9 over the moon the DN nurse was really pleased and the increase of my metformin is now not an option. She confirmed my loss of a further 1 stone in weight and wants to see me in 6 months time. I thought these were suppose to be every 3 months :?:

Saw the Doctor today and asked for the test strips on prescription as I am showing that I am taking my diabetics seriously but she would only preceribe me ONE tub of 50 which will cover me for a YEAR said I should only need 2 a month!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil:

Still one a year is better then none at all I suppose but not happy about it. Even when I explain the need to test not seeing the DN for 6 months i need to know whats happening to my Blood sugar again she said only need to do it twice a month. So that was that.

Happy about my results and very unhappy about the test strips as I know all of you out there are.

Sue :D keep smiling

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Your 6.2% Ac1 is excellent Sue, well done you are doing great
clap.gif
:D

Shame about your doctor not 'getting' the testing thing, but thats pretty standard :cry:

I have recently had my care transferred back to my GP and saw the DN there a couple of weeks ago, as she was happy with my control and like yours she doesn't want to see me for another 6 months, but she has given me blood test referrals for 3 months and one just before my next appointment, so I shall still have the 3 monthly Ac1 which I am happy about :)

I have to say she did listen to me and showed an interest in my lifestyle changes as I refer to them, I am careful to avoid the word diet when I talk to a doctor or DN as they tend to immediately think you are not eating properly, sneaky perhaps, but I think it pays to have these people on your side.

Amanda Hugankiss

Dislikes
Chaos
I think the least they can do is see you more often than a that for your HBA1C's if they are not going to provide test strips!

I guess you can suppliment them with buying some from e-bay - but why should we have to do that?

PickledPepper

Hi Sue

I had a similar experience. Having seen positive progress in my blood tests it now seems that the doctor is satisfied all is well and has put me on a back burner.

I too was told I will be tested in 6 months now. I have to fight for any test strips and it seems to boil down to the mood of the doctor on the day. They told me twice a week is the max I should test!

Seeing as my keeping a grip on the condition is related to how tightly I monitor, I see no option but to buy strips etc. with my own money when the prescribed ones quickly run out. As mentioned by others, ebay seems to have them at significantly reduced rates compared to mainstream suppliers. I get my nephew to get them as I have no paypal thingy set up. Even though times are hard, it makes sense to prioritise getting the testing gear over any other luxuries I might be tempted towards.

Being in the same situation as you with the good and bad news, I've decided to focus on the good. The condition is grim enough as it is, I'm quickly learning we have to jump at whatever good news we get!

:)

Congratulations on your progress!