Insomnia

youngmanfrank

I am a type 2 diabetic on 3x500mg Metformin,plus diet and loads of exercise.I have lost over 3 stone in a year and improved my blood pressure from 150/85 to 119/65.My first 3 Hba1c have been 6.0,6.2 and 6.0.

My problem is insomnia.I have always been a light sleeper but now find myself totally unable to complete a nights sleep,something which has built up over this first year.My bedtime blood sugars over the last few days have been 6.2-7.2,and my waking blood sugars have been 5.2-6.5.I recently went through a phase of waking at 2.00am with increased blood sugar levels over bedtime levels,despite normally eating no later than 6pm-7pm.This seems to have resolved itself following 5 days on sleeping tablets prescribed by a baffled doctor.

Is there are link between Metformin and insomnia or does anyone out there have any clues as to whats going on?

youngmanfrank

Thanks for that,most of the side effects of Metformin seem to be increased sleepiness,rather than insomnia.

The nearest I have got to a theory is that I am waking up because of the control I maintain over my sugar levels.I tend to a low GI diet and do not normally eat after 7.00pm.I think my blood sugar levels are dropping too low because I am going to bed with relatively low sugar levels,my body wakes up in response to this event,and then the liver is dumping glyocogen into my system to compensate (sort of variation on the Dawn Phenomenon).By the time I have got to the testing kit I have missed the drop and measure only the increase.

The last two nights I have eaten a small snack at 9.00pm,taken two Melatonin (synthetic sleep hormone) and have got through the night reasonably well.In the morning my blood sugar levels have been normal for me at 5.5 and 6.4.

It is not lack of exercise.Todays regime has been a 45 minute jog/walk with the dog,followed by 30 lengths of the swimming pool,and this evening I will assist with the boys football practice.Not bad for a 60 year old.

Alanem

Dislikes
Fish except from the chippy
Hi Frank
I've been suffering for more than 12 years with interupted sleep and can't honestly remember when I slept right through. I am usuall awake for 2 hours sometimes more sometimes less I will have a period of waking at the same time every night then it will change to a different time. Sometimes it can be twice in the same night. My GP is stumped we have tried all sorts of different things. Having a snack, eating later, change the timing of my pills etc etc all to no avail. Testing in the night hasn't offered any clues neither. I have been offered sleeping pills many times but I prefer a nap in the afternoon when needed. The main problem is boredom!!! If you come up with anything please let me know.

youngmanfrank

Try Melatonin 2x3g from Biovea.Melatonin is the biological switch which turns the brain off at night and the theory is that as you get older you make less of the stuff.

The above is synthetic,not animal,in origin.People who travel frequently into other time zones sometimes use it to re-set their biological clock.

They say you should consult your doctor before taking it if diabetic,but mine had never heard of it and it seems to have no obvious effect on me,apart from helping me get to sleep.

Currently I have found that eating more later in the evening and going to bed with a blood sugar of 7.0 or more,plus 2 Melatonin capsules is getting me through the vital 1.0am-2.0am period when I would expect to become completely awake.

jaykay

Hey Alanem, I have no words of wisdom for the insomnia but I have a trick for my boredom. I don't sleep easily and if I can't get to sleep or wake up too early I have learnt that audio books can help me drift off again quite successfully. I use a pillow that has a speaker in it and my husband can't hear it. Nothing with any loud music or too much dramatic oration! Derek Jacobi reading Cadfael books is my favourite :D

Alanem

Dislikes
Hi Frank Thanks for the suggestions and the info about Melatonin... I'll dig into it.

Hi Jay kay Thanks for the interest and I am already wearing that T shirt but I use ear buds and after a while my ears ache with lying on them. I can't lie on my back. I like the idea of a speaker pillow ...is it a home made job?
Alan

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Alanen

Melatonin is not suitable for diabetics and shouldn't be taken - my son has been on this by prescription form his consultant for a number of years - (he isn't diabetic) - and I did a lot of research about it - it works well for sleeplessness but mustn't be used if your diabetic.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
lovinglife

Do you know why not? It interests me too as I also suffer from insomnia - actually early morning waking and I can't get back to sleep again and then the worries come flooding in it's torture every morning.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Daisy - it is more that it affects other things that affect us diabetics like liver and kidney function and the retina. It also has side effects of depression, nightmares amongst others and does contradict some diabetic drugs

It is worth pointing out that it an unlicensed drug in the UK and not governed by any standards agency so if you do buy it it could be "dodgy" - it can't be prescribed by a GP in this country only a consultant and I have to have a consultant's letter Evey time I get a script for my son and only Boots will fulfill his script - they have to have written permission from consultant to order it- He is on a highish dose at the moment (we only use it when things get desperate) and he has regular checks.

My son is autistic and has long periods of wakefulness - we have just gotten through a period of 3 weeks with 1 hour sleep each night - when he is up I have to be up also - plays havoc with my bs levels! - and doesn't help my weight loss either as I get hungry in those wee small hours. - and yes it can be boring boring boring - and knackering to the max!

It may be ok under medical supervision but I would say IMHO only as an absolute last resort - and it is definitely not the magic bullet it proclaims to be either!

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just to add Daisy - You say you wake in the wee small hours - I find the drug helps my son fall asleep but not "stay" asleep if you know what I mean - even in a good period he has always woken between 5 and 6

hope that all helps :)

Alanem

Dislikes
Thanks Lovinglife....back to the drawing board by the sound of it. Hope Frank read the post.
Alan

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Thanks lovinglife for all that information. I think it's better for me to give it a miss for the moment. The only solution for me at the moment is to get up really early and read this forum :) which stops the black thoughts I get otherwise.

jaykay

Alanem and Broads. Yes the pillow is a bought one and is very good. You can buy speakers which are a bit cheaper which go under your pillow but I don't find them as good-they sound is muffled and the volume not as variable. Hope it works for you!

Russ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Injustice
Hi lovinglife.

I'm T2 and take 4 x 500mg Metformin a day and have taken melatonin (synthetic) on and off for many years before I became diabetic about ten years ago, but have never heard about contraindications with diabetes drugs. Could you please tell me specifically where I can find information about any contraindications?

Many thanks,

Russ

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Russ - can't help much as I did most of my research as regarding my son rather than myself - I talked to a lot of health care professionals and looked in books - didn't have a computer then - but the info can be found on line if you search melatonin. -

have found this link for you - it doesn't specify medicines but it gives a very good explanation about melatonin and all its side affects/contradictions for everything - a small excerpt from the info below its from page 5 but the whole document is worth a read as it explains about other problems diabetics may have such as hypertension etc

enotalone.com/article/9347.

"Caution is advised in patients with diabetes or hypoglycemia, and in those taking drugs, herbs, or supplements that affect blood sugar. Serum glucose levels may need to be monitored by a healthcare provider, and medication adjustments may be necessary".

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
hiya daisy - dashing out the door to go on my hols but if you google enotalone.com/article/9347 - should come up at top of page - got to go marxhall the troops - hope that works!

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi lovinglife,

Hope you have lovely holidays. Have read the paper and can't take melatonin as one of the drugs I take (not for diabetes) is listed as a contraindication to melatonin so back to the drawing board. Thanks for all your help. :)