Helo wAtch

nessa1970

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys does anyone have any information on the watch that is coming out soon by helo it's for bs testing?

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Heya, @nessa1970

A quick google brought me here: http://www.helosmart.com/

There's no mention of BG monitoring, but there is lots of other stuff, including a bit of questionable science. What it also doesn't tell you is that the device stores your data remotely, and to access it, you apparently need to pay $20 / month, which seems... well, for $120 / year (Plus the $320 market-entry price) you could buy much cheaper, better things.

http://behindmlm.com/mlm-reviews/world-international-review-overpriced-helo-fitness-bands/

https://supplementpolice.com/helo-lx/

It's personal choice, ultimately, but even if I had the money to spend, I'd steer clear of this one.

nessa1970

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Heya, @nessa1970

A quick google brought me here: http://www.helosmart.com/

There's no mention of BG monitoring, but there is lots of other stuff, including a bit of questionable science. What it also doesn't tell you is that the device stores your data remotely, and to access it, you apparently need to pay $20 / month, which seems... well, for $120 / year (Plus the $320 market-entry price) you could buy much cheaper, better things.

http://behindmlm.com/mlm-reviews/world-international-review-overpriced-helo-fitness-bands/

It's personal choice, ultimately, but even if I had the money to spend, I'd steer clear of this one.

The one I'm trying to find is definitely for diabetics for bs testing is has a infrared thing that takes the bs reading an it's not to far from being on the market
I do have a friend that is going to give me the link I was being inpatient an thought someone else may have heard of it

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There is no other HELO watch, wearable monitoring system coming up on a search, though the one I've found has made vague promises about being able to do so in the future.

There are more reputable advances being made in wearable BG tech, though, as some recent threads explored. One that has me a little excited is this:

https://diatribe.org/google-secures-patent-glucose-sensing-contact-lens

And there are many others, too. But, as far as HELO watch goes (as far as I can see with my Google-Fu), it's nothing more than a vague future suggestion from a slightly hokey company - sorry!

EDIT: More recent link:

http://spectrum.ieee.org/the-human-...lass-combo-monitor-diabetes-and-deliver-drugs

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Check this out. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/124587/

It's not available yet. I am on their mail list and get a lot of info from them on trial status etc. I'd love for it to be true, but the organisation seems to be based on a pyramid selling model from what I can tell and just doesn't seem right. However if they do get medical approval somewhere credible then who cares. Just have to wait and see.

Reactions: azure and nessa1970

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey there, @barrym ! I was thinking of exactly that thread when I wrote my reply - I didn't realise it was exactly the same product that was being discussed here.

And yeah, it's an MLM which is the legal workaround of the old pyramid models - those who get in early get paid.

Reactions: nessa1970

nessa1970

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I contacted helo and I filled out the application for the trial of the watch. Will update if I get to trial it but will be purchasing when it comes out the end of this year regardless . I'm really hoping this works how wonderful to have to never prick again.

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I contacted helo and I filled out the application for the trial of the watch. Will update if I get to trial it but will be purchasing when it comes out the end of this year regardless . I'm really hoping this works how wonderful to have to never prick again.
I was a bit cautious about giving them all my details for the trial, especially as it is only one week, as far as I could see, and then you send the wrist band back.

However, like you I will almost certainly get one.

I hope it's as good as they are suggesting. I'm going through a bit of a downer on my Libre at the moment. Getting wildly inaccurate readings compared to my meter. I need to be able to trust it, not constantly question it. Anyway that's all for another thread.

nessa1970

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was a bit cautious about giving them all my details for the trial, especially as it is only one week, as far as I could see, and then you send the wrist band back.

I hope it's as good as they are suggesting. I'm going through a bit of a downer on my Libre at the moment. Getting wildly inaccurate readings compared to my meter. I need to be able to trust it, not constantly question it. Anyway that's all for another thread.

Yes that's the hope I guess that it's very accurate. It would be good to trial it an bs test as usual to see how accurate it is prior to actually buying one. Fingers crossed we get too an that it lives up to the hype

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Frankly, you're setting yourself up for failure if you expect this to be anywhere close to as accurate as an invasive cam/fgm like the Libre or Dexcom.

nessa1970

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well in nz those cost a fortune
So it's the watch or very bad bs testing an then the rest is history
Bad diabetes control

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Don't go near it. It's a pyramid selling scheme rather than a great product for T1Ds to use.

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This sounds like a snake oil scheme to me. I've never heard about any "infrared" tech being able to estimate blood sugar. There is a bracelet that supposedly senses excess perspiration during a hypo that will buzz you to wake up at night. That might work.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Where has the idea come from that this will test bg?

Helo's own website says that it might do in the future but not now. Along with all the other future miracles it promises, I take that to mean "never". They're just making stuff up.

Scroll down to the bottom of this page:
http://www.helosmart.com/helo-features/

It says this:

"In the future the device may test for Blood Alcohol Levels, Blood Sugar Levels, Oxygen Levels, Temperature, and a Mosquito Shield."
There's nothing at all about it actually testing bg in the here and now. The only thing it'll test for is people's gullibility to give their bank account details away.

The company behind it is called Wor(l)d Global Network. Google them and form your own view.

Last edited:

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's all already been said, @Scott-C :/

$440 for a doo-hickey that doesn't test blood glucose levels and otherwise does what any fitness band or app will do without a $20 / month subscription. I don't even see how that's comparable to a CGM which may be expensive but actually tests BG. Buy this item and rely on the unproven power of rocks and guesswork to control diabetes.

It's whole deal is false promises making people over-invest in it as an incentive to get then to recoup some cash by selling it to other people, who then sell it to other people and so on and so forth. It's literally the "legal" equivalent of a Ponzi scheme.

People make their own choices, I suppose. Giving that amount of money directly to The Noakes Foundation (or any other diabetes research org / charity) would be far more beneficial to anyone's health that this gadget.

People make their own choices, often regardless of any warnings or information offered.

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Don't know if this will help the OP but, just in case...

While the DexCom is outrageously expensive in NZ, I found a press release from last month announcing that the Freestyle Libre is now available in NZ, too:

http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/GE17...tyle-libre-now-available-for-nz-diabetics.htm

It's a fraction of the DexCom cost (as far as my untrained eye can tell - I don't use CGM, just trying to help) and, if my Google exchange rates are correct, it's actually cheaper in NZ than in the UK. You buy the scanner, sensors last 2 weeks:

https://www.mediray.co.nz/diabetes/...estyle-libre-flash-glucose-monitoring-system/

A review from the main Diabetes.co.uk website can be found here with more info:

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-glucose-meters/abbott-freestyle-libre.html

nessa1970

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It is over 100 nz dollars each 14 days that is way way to expensive for me
I'd rather guestimate

D

Diabeticliberty

I do know that Apple have bunged a huge wad of dollars into technological research investigating the possibility of making some of their future phones able to accurately read blood sugars without an invasive element. Love or hate them as a company they don't tend to push out ropey stuff into the marketplace. I also read somewhere that their product is almost ready to go. I have used Android phones for the last 6 or 7 years after ditching iPhones at no 3 or maybe 4. If however they come up with a phone or non invasive wearable technology then there's me, first in the queue for it. I will have a Libre reader and whatever sensors I have in my cupboard at the time going gratis to the first poor pilgrim on this here Diabetic Forum that wants Abbott's blighted technology. Personally I couldn't wait to see the back of it.

Steve1272

I do know that Apple have bunged a huge wad of dollars into technological research investigating the possibility of making some of their future phones able to accurately read blood sugars without an invasive element. Love or hate them as a company they don't tend to push out ropey stuff into the marketplace. I also read somewhere that their product is almost ready to go. I have used Android phones for the last 6 or 7 years after ditching iPhones at no 3 or maybe 4. If however they come up with a phone or non invasive wearable technology then there's me, first in the queue for it. I will have a Libre reader and whatever sensors I have in my cupboard at the time going gratis to the first poor pilgrim on this here Diabetic Forum that wants Abbott's blighted technology. Personally I couldn't wait to see the back of it.

Same here - been an Android user since I ditched the iPhone 3S, but would go back to iPhone/iWatch in a heartbeat if the rumours about the iWatch 3 and BG monitoring are true...

nessa1970

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh ok I have an iPhone 7 plus and love it previous Samsung user for years previous to the iPhone
I'll do some google research
Thanks for the mention