High sugar

lynn007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
animal abuse
Good morning all I am looking for advice. Since friday I been feel really ill with my sugar reaching 20.9.
Went A and E said I had a water infection. I was given antibiotics and sent home after being there 7 hours
I feel absolutely twrrible feeling sick and weak and my husband is a waste of time my blood is 9.8 this morning but im in bed and too weak to even feed my cats. I am wondering if I have a virus and would it make me feel this dreadful?

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Hello @lynn007, sorry to hear your not very well, may i ask what antibiotics were prescribed? And what was your last hba1c result?
If it is a virus the antibiotics will not help only hinder!
What do you eat on a daily basis?

jay hay-char

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I doubt if it's a virus because the hospital wouldn't have given you antibiotics (they don't help with viruses), therefore presumably they must reckon you have a bacterial infection.

When I was first diagnosed as T2, I had a succession of infections, which my GP never really got to the bottom of but they all had a couple of things in common (1) I felt like death warmed up - weak, sick, feverish and incredibly sweaty (sorry - probably too much information :yuck:) and (2) my blood sugar levels soared, with a resultant need to wee a lot (sorry again - I am really over-sharing here :)).

From my experience, I'd say that it's perfectly possible that the way you are feeling is attributable to a bacterial infection and hopefully that the antibiotics will kick in shortly and you will start feeling better. I hope so but if you don't, go back to your Doctor and ask him/her to look again.

lynn007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
animal abuse
I nevet know what my hb1 is they never give print outs yes it is a infection but I wonder if a virus too because feel so light headed and fainted friday.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @lynn007 UTIs can make you feel very rough. I had one and felt faint and very weak and flu-y.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@lynn007 - I'd agree with @azure that UTIs can make one feel pretty grim. Fortunately, I've only had a handful of UTIs ever, but I can remember feeling very rough, then feeling even rougher when I started on the antibiotics, until I had a few days' worth inside me.

Whatever you do, make sure you really get rid of it. If once you finish your antibiotics your symptoms seem to be coming back, then go straight back to your doctor.

Drink lots of water and stay comfortable if you can.