Worried about eating fat.. don't be says The Lancet

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(17)32252-3/fulltext?elsca1=tlxpr

Here we go... sit back with pork scratchings at the ready...!

Interpretation
High carbohydrate intake was associated with higher risk of total mortality, whereas total fat and individual types of fat were related to lower total mortality. Total fat and types of fat were not associated with cardiovascular disease, myocardial infarction, or cardiovascular disease mortality, whereas saturated fat had an inverse association with stroke. Global dietary guidelines should be reconsidered in light of these findings.

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
:D:happy: Hallelujah :happy::D

Now can we just hope and pray that NICE and our HCPs will read, digest, reconsider and act accordingly
For me, however (being what I consider to be a realist .. others might say a bit of a cynic), I would put money on there being no change in our "Dietary Guidelines" for some years at least

Ho Hum .. for now, I'll carry on with my lifestyle of LCHF and exercise .. but now I can quote some "science" at all those folk who still tell me I can't eat fat 'cos it'll clog up my arteries and kill me

Reactions: Prem51 and Guzzler

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been waiting for this study to be published for a while as it was the data from it that Salim Yusuf the recently retired head of the World Heart Foundation used in his presentation that stirred things up a bit a few months ago... The one that was quickly withdrawn from youtube after publication..

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It would be great to be able to eat lots of saturated fat, but then how do I lower my LDL cholesterol? Or doesn't that matter any more?

Deespee23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It would be great to be able to eat lots of saturated fat, but then how do I lower my LDL cholesterol? Or doesn't that matter any more?
I eat quite a lot of saturated fat - I'm on LCHF diet. At my last blood test, I was told that overall cholesterol level was a bit elevated but that the HDL/LDL ratio (that is what matters) was really good.

Reactions: Prem51 and Guzzler

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not sure it ever did matter all that much... cholesterol is a knotty issue little understood. But for women higher is often seen as better.. its all about your HDL/ Triglyceride ratio.

Reactions: dbr10

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I eat quite a lot of saturated fat - I'm on LCHF diet. At my last blood test, I was told that overall cholesterol level was a bit elevated but that the HDL/LDL ratio (that is what matters) was really good.
Thanks, Deespee. Were you tested fasting?

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not sure it ever did matter all that much... cholesterol is a knotty issue little understood. But for women higher is often seen as better.. its all about your HDL/ Triglyceride ratio.
Thanks Bullbiker. Those are impressive triglyceride numbers. Were you fasting? 2 years ago my GP told me not to fast any more before cholesterol tests, and since then my triglycerides have jumped up from 0.4 to 1.8. Latest test: Total 5.5, HDL 2.6, LDL 2.1, ratio 2:1.

Reactions: Prem51

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Article about this in Wednesday's Telegraph. Haven't checked other papers - but it's an interesting read. And about time, too.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...-higher-death-rates-major-lancet-study-finds/

Professor Jeremy Pearson, of the British Heart Foundation said health officials should re-examine dietary advice, to ensure the public was getting the best message.

“This study suggests we should perhaps pay more attention to the amount of carbohydrate in our diet than we have in the past and we may need to revise the guidelines,” he said.

It's also interesting (and entirely typical) to see PHE and NHS spokes people sail clean past the salient points and insist they've had it right all along.

Still, can't help but feel that the tide might finally be starting to turn.

Reactions: TIANDB and Prem51

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Judging from the response of DAA, not much is going to change...they will still stonewall.
https://www.facebook.com/dietitians...7449.143214955708915/1620791041284625/?type=3

We’ve seen the recently published observational study looking at the associations of fats and carbohydrate intake on cardiovascular disease and mortality. How does this impact on carbohydrate intake recommendations?

We eat foods (e.g. fruits and vegetables), not nutrients (e.g. carbohydrates and fats) which is what this study reported on. As an evidence-based profession we value the whole body of scientific evidence to guide our practice. This one new observational study does contribute to the continuingly changing body of nutritional science but, in itself, does not have the strength of evidence to change guidelines. Australians can be confident that that Australian Dietary Guidelines give solid recommendations for healthy eating at a population level.

Last edited:

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No it does'nt

what matters is Low Triglycerides which are also a marker for low small LDL C the dangerous kind, and high HDL to Total cholesterol ratio - the higher HDL the better .

Eating saturated fat IMPROVES these ratios .
Triglycerides in the blood stream come from eating carbs!

Reactions: Prem51

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Article about this in Wednesday's Telegraph. Haven't checked other papers - but it's an interesting read. And about time, too.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...-higher-death-rates-major-lancet-study-finds/

It's also interesting (and entirely typical) to see PHE and NHS spokes people sail clean past the salient points and insist they've had it right all along.

Still, can't help but feel that the tide might finally be starting to turn.

The strange thing about this study is that every one seems to see what they like to see...so every one is happy...nothing really changed...
Oxford Professor Susan Jebb, the government’s former obesity tsar, said the findings supported UK guidance.

She said: “This is a thumbs-up for UK recommendations which advise up to 35 per cent of energy from fat and an average of 50 per cent of energy from carbohydrate - of which only 5 per cent should be sugar."

Dr Alison Tedstone, chief nutritionist at Public Health England said a high fat diet could lead to weight gain and increase the risk of heart disease.

“We recommend a balanced diet based on starchy carbohydrates, while reducing total fat intake and swapping saturated fats for unsaturated fats,” she said.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The strange thing about this study is that every one seems to see what they like to see...so every one is happy...nothing really changed...
Apart from Dr Alison Tedstone who just says the same thing all the time whatever the study may imply..

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Judging from the response of DAA, not much is going to change...they will still stonewall.
https://www.facebook.com/dietitians...7449.143214955708915/1620791041284625/?type=3

I have just read this. The daa have said that the report looks at carbohydrates and not what we eat, ie "fruits and vegetables". What does that even mean ? Are the daa saying that they tell all thier patients not to eat any grains at all and only fruit and veg? That they tell them not to eat brown rice/pasta etc and cut out all but carbs in fruit and veg?
And have they completely forgotten about the carbs in fruit and veg?
I do not understand thier response at all.
Anybody know?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just read this. The daa have said that the report looks at carbohydrates and not what we eat, ie "fruits and vegetables". What does that even mean ? Are the daa saying that they tell all thier patients not to eat any grains at all and only fruit and veg? That they tell them not to eat brown rice/pasta etc and cut out all but carbs in fruit and veg?
And have they completely forgotten about the carbs in fruit and veg?
I do not understand thier response at all.
Anybody know?
They're panicking because their dietary advice is being shown to be at best incorrect and at worst dangerous.
If they admit that they have been giving bad advice for years with bad science behind it they may be open to be sued.
Also if they are being sponsored by food producers then this message is not what they want to promote.
They will soon be attacking the study saying that it only uses association and relies on people reporting what they ate... like all the studies they have used in the past to support their position..

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is this the one?
Thanks for posting this.
The one thing that I haev not managed to improve so far hs been my blood pressure which is still stubbornly high.

I have been low salt for years - as that was what I as advised when I was first diagnosed 20 years ago. The result is that I completely lost my taste for it.

I have just checked my sodium metric for the last year and I think I am probably averaging about 2g per day - which is well in the dangerously too low range according to that study . Instead I should be eating 3-5 grams per day.
I am going to see if I can up salt to 4 g per day for a bit and see how my b.p. responds. I will report back progress !

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I have been low salt for years - as that was what I as advised when I was first diagnosed 20 years ago. The result is that I completely lost my taste for it.

I have avoided it like the plague for decades because of high BP. I'm getting tired of the rubbish advice that I've been given over the years. I'm tempted to stop listening all together.