Carb counting website

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can anyone recommend a good carb counting website for the UK. There are plenty out there but many seem to be Americanised. Thanks in advance

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @smc4761 Do you mean a site that contains carb values or a site that teaches carb counting and insulin adjustments?

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry I mean a site that gives carb values I am fairly good at carb counting I think

Reactions: Freema

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry I mean a site that gives carb values I am fairly good at carb counting I think

Ok :) I generally use the packaging, MyFitnessPal, my Collins carb count book, or my memory (after 23 years I have most values stored in there : D )

Carbs and Cals is also popular here.

Reactions: therower and Freema

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am pretty much the same after 32 years I have lots of it stored in my head. When I was first diagnosed we were tuaght carb counting.

After a good few years of perhaps being a bit lackadisacal I am putting a bit more focus on what I eat and adjusting insulin accordingly

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
I use the info off the supermarket packaging when available, it's pretty accurate. Use the info on the back under Nutrition, not the summary on the front. Otherwise I use the Fat Secret website, which is UK based. You have to be careful with US sites as they measure things a bit differently, including fibre within carbs for one thing. Also, their portion sizes are a bit odd (when given) and they prefer to do things by portion rather than per 100g.

landylara

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Driving.
I love carbs and cals book. Can get it from Amazon. Newest edition is brilliant.

Reactions: Freema

DaftThoughts

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Foods I eat frequently, I log in an Excel sheet for easy referencing. As long as I have my phone with me, I can pull it up anytime I need it. :) It looks like this:

Name of food - carbs per 100g - fibers per 100g - serving size in g - last field calculates how many carbs are in the food for that serving size. (Easily adjustable too! I just change the serving size and bam.)

I fetch the info from the packaging and otherwise get a fairly good estimate from Google on how much is in unlabeled foods.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've download the "carbs and caps" app on my phone. Very recommended- it's so easy to use and works it all out for you. It's a cost of £5 but it's proved invaluable for me.