Advacado

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
Oh my goodness. For the first time I tried advacado last week. I was not keen, may have been week before
I took two teaspoons full confincing myself how good it was for me. "Yuk" 5 mins after eating it I felt physically sick, never again. I hated the slimey texture. Who else hates advacado?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It definitely makes a difference finding good varieties and making sure they're just the right amount of ripe.
Given the fact you said slimy I think it was over ripe and mushy. That would go right in my trash. They should have just a little 'give'. Not soft

There are so many ways to eat them that I can't imagine not being able to find a way. I like mine with sea salt and basil. Sometimes with hot sauce. Sometimes with bacon. Sometimes made into guacamole with a lime squeeze, jalapeño, cilantro, tomato and onion. There are so many ways to mask it with other foods like adding sour cream or cream cheese. Blending into a Mexican smoothie. Chunking it on salads and let it absorb the dressing flavors.

I'm sure others will be along with other ideas. It's so versatile and I can't imagine a day without it and want to shout from the roof top how healthy it is!!!

I wish I could pick a beauty out for you so it would change your mind.

Reactions: Prem51 and ziggy_w

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
Bless u. It is the second time that I tried it, yes it was very soft so I expect over ripe perhaps. I will mak a dip next time as I don't give up easily and I know that they r very good for u. If I try anything that I don't like, I usually always try three times, just to make sure. My parents when I was a kid always made us try new food three times, If the third time we did not like it, that would be it lol. She knew that we gave it a third crack of the whip so to speak

Reactions: Prem51

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Avocado's is a food we rarely buy, it's OK but not something I could eat very often.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Bless u. It is the second time that I tried it, yes it was very soft so I expect over ripe perhaps. I will mak a dip next time as I don't give up easily and I know that they r very good for u. If I try anything that I don't like, I usually always try three times, just to make sure. My parents when I was a kid always made us try new food three times, If the third time we did not like it, that would be it lol. She knew that we gave it a third crack of the whip so to speak
Honestly there is nothing worse than a mushy avocado.
Here's what to do. If they are hard and green leave them out until they have a little 'give' gently pushing on the ends and the fatty part. Once they have that put them in the fridge. This stops the ripening for the most part. Next, if you're not going to eat the whole thing in one day then out some Plastic wrap or waxed paper and make sure to create an airtight barrier on all exposed surfaces, then push down lightly on a plate. It it's not air tight it will go bad. There are things like lemon/ lime juice or fat like sour cream, cream cheese, mayo that will help stop the browning if made into a dip. Avocado mayo is good and masks the avocado. I think it's equal portions of both with some lemon or lime squeeze. Personally I like my mayo and avocado separate but if helps you choke it down then I say do it.
If you like spicy then smash it either smooth or chunky with a fork and add these ingredients as desired. Lemon or lime squeeze, spicy pepper seasoning, salt, pepper, either cilantro or basil, ( I LOVE it with basil. So fresh ) onion, garlic all to taste. Then eat with a spoon or celery or baby carrots or radishes slices instead of chips.

You can even make avocado pudding with cocoa. I haven't tried it. I hate messing with a good avocado!! Google has LOADS of recipes so you don't have to just eat it. For me it does usually require salt to bring out the flavor.

Happy you're going to try again. They do require maintenance but well worth it in my opinion.

Reactions: Salvia and Prem51
B

badcat

Honestly there is nothing worse than a mushy avocado.
Here's what to do. If they are hard and green leave them out until they have a little 'give' gently pushing on the ends and the fatty part. Once they have that put them in the fridge. This stops the ripening for the most part. Next, if you're not going to eat the whole thing in one day then out some Plastic wrap or waxed paper and make sure to create an airtight barrier on all exposed surfaces, then push down lightly on a plate. It it's not air tight it will go bad. There are things like lemon/ lime juice or fat like sour cream, cream cheese, mayo that will help stop the browning if made into a dip. Avocado mayo is good and masks the avocado. I think it's equal portions of both with some lemon or lime squeeze. Personally I like my mayo and avocado separate but if helps you choke it down then I say do it.
If you like spicy then smash it either smooth or chunky with a fork and add these ingredients as desired. Lemon or lime squeeze, spicy pepper seasoning, salt, pepper, either cilantro or basil, ( I LOVE it with basil. So fresh ) onion, garlic all to taste. Then eat with a spoon or celery or baby carrots or radishes slices instead of chips.

You can even make avocado pudding with cocoa. I haven't tried it. I hate messing with a good avocado!! Google has LOADS of recipes so you don't have to just eat it. For me it does usually require salt to bring out the flavor.

Happy you're going to try again. They do require maintenance but well worth it in my opinion.
I keep meaning to try a rather intruiging recipe Ive seen for dark chocolate and avocado ice cream - I think avocado and dark chocolate could be a marriage made in heaven,but have a little side fear that it could turn out to be the work of the devil!

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@derry60 Have you managed to get better avocados? I recommend Waitrose's 'Perfectly Ripe Avocados'. They are £2 for a pack of two. They are almost 100% perfect. Not too mushy or too hard. They are the only ones I buy now. Marks & Spencers' avocados are usually good too.
Avocados from other stores or market stalls can be cheaper but it's hit or miss as to how good they are. Better to spend a bit more as it cuts out waste from having to throw bad ones away.

Deespee23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh my goodness. For the first time I tried advacado last week. I was not keen, may have been week before
I took two teaspoons full confincing myself how good it was for me. "Yuk" 5 mins after eating it I felt physically sick, never again. I hated the slimey texture. Who else hates advacado?
Not me - I love 'em!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Me. I really dislike them. I find them totally tasteless, like a hard unripe unpalatable pear.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I find them totally tasteless, like a hard unripe unpalatable pear.
You've been buying the wrong avocados. Try the Waitrose 'Perfectly Ripe Avocados'. Just the right texture.
I find I like the taste unadorned except for a bit of salt now. But you can liven it up with Extra Virgin Olive Oil, tabasco, Worcester Sauce, vinaigrette or any salad dressing.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As long as my local Tesco is selling small ripe ones at 49p each I'll be having one every lunchtime with cream cheese and whatever stuff is in the fridge and garden. Also with my green pesto made with a lot of basil and slightly overtoasted pine nuts.

connie104

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I eat avocado every day like Kristin251
One of the most enjoyable things to eat is a Lidl high protein roll filled with avocado and prawn mayonnaise yummy!!!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You've been buying the wrong avocados. Try the Waitrose 'Perfectly Ripe Avocados'. Just the right texture.
I find I like the taste unadorned except for a bit of salt now. But you can liven it up with Extra Virgin Olive Oil, tabasco, Worcester Sauce, vinaigrette or any salad dressing.

I might try the Waitrose if we had a Waitrose within reasonable distance but we haven't. I have tried 2 sorts and used Kristin's method of testing them before I bought. Sorry, but they were disgusting to my pallet. I'll leave them alone so there are more for the rest of you. :yuck:

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I might try the Waitrose if we had a Waitrose within reasonable distance but we haven't. I have tried 2 sorts and used Kristin's method of testing them before I bought. Sorry, but they were disgusting to my pallet. I'll leave them alone so there are more for the rest of you. :yuck:
I dare you to go to a Mexican restaurant and order a side of guacamole or even better tableside guac where they make if fresh right in front of you and you pick your ingredients. HA

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
We don't have many Mexican restaurants in the UK @Kristin251, especially outside London or big cities.