Nurse says stop testing Doctor says stop taking the tablets

tonydowie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Chocolate
hi recently went to my diabetic nurse with sore legs and feet, thought it was the metformin tablets or the simvastatin causing me muscle pain. When I Told my nurse I tested myself every morning with my meter she gave me a row and told me NOT To self test, I asked her how I was to monitor my glucose levels, Ans she said that was her job? OK I said so when do you want to do that "At your yearly Review She Told Me " Not happy with this i made an appointment with my GP with my concerns of the pains in my legs and my feet his response " Stop taking the tablets" So I am now taking nothing to control my levels just the diet ????
Has anyone else ever experienced anything like this from the medical practice, the Impression they gave me was another fat git with Diabities !!!! totally disgusted, Any ideas Anyone ????

Petal50

Re: Nurse says stop testing Doctor says stop taking the tabl

Change your medical practice.
Alot of us come up agaist opposition to self testing but you have to stick to your guns and show them you are serious about being proactive in managing you diabetes.
Good luck.

croftmanor

Dislikes
arrogant and assertive drivers, people with BO, no excuse for it these days

Hi Tony
I would recheck with your doctor, i talked with my doctor about lower leg pain and we decided to stop just the simvastatin, that worked great for me, if you think that it may be the same for you then ask the doc,
I cant understand why any doctor would advise you to stop taking your diabetes medication if it was working without side effects and keeping your BG down ???,
please check again, and ignore the nurse and carry on testing, I advise anyone to test, even if its just for the peace of mind knowing your staying on track
Best regards
Crofty

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)

I would agree with Crofty, make a new appointment with your doctor to clarify his 'stop taking the tablets' statement, tell him you are confused about which meds to stop.

I don't take statins but I understand that they can cause leg pain in some people but it is possible to change from one statin to another and that sometimes alleviates the problem.
Some people choose not to take them at all but without knowing your medical history it is impossible to advice you correctly on that.

Metformin has some side effects in some people, I am lucky that I dont suffer any side effects to speak of. I am not aware that leg pains are associated with Metformin, the most common side effect are usually stomach cramps, wind and or diarrhoea, not very pleasant but there is a slow release (SR) version available and if you suffer the stomach problems you may do better on the SR type Metformin.

Metformin will generally lower blood glucose by between 1 and 2mmlo/L so it is worth taking IMHO it can also dull appetite and has been said to help prevent other problems too, search this site or Google for 'METFORMIN' for more info.

daffy1

Dislikes
garlic, pubs

Im in a similar position as the OP.I went last week to the GP about an ingrowing toenail and tingling on the soles of my feet. I also requested some more strips, . His blunt response was get your toenail removed.Tingling is to be expected with diabetes (totally ignoring the fact I have a blood clotting disorder and suffer with occasional DVT in my legs) I was then told i cannot have any strips as I dont need to be testing as my three month average was about 10. Andthe nurse will check it at my next clinic (in 3 months) but would increase my metformin form 3x daily to 4x daily.I dont understand if it does not need testing daily why the increase?

I also suffer severe depression and anxiety and regularly see a psychiatrist for monitering.When i8 last saw her I told her of the conversation with the GP and she was astonished that only being diagnosed 3 months ago and that my BG was still above normal being told to stop testing. She has toldme togo back and say thati still needed regular testing and would write and confirm this.

I am dreading going back and telling the GP of this. But why have i been told to ignore the tingling in my feet and why the increase in meds if I was doing so well. If i was a heroin addict I would get my methadone daily but because i (and all diabetics) have a non self inflicted disorder we cannot get the the strips needed to moniter our condition to keep us healthy.??

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*

daffy1 said:
I was then told i cannot have any strips as I dont need to be testing as my three month average was about 10. And the nurse will check it at my next clinic (in 3 months) but would increase my metformin form 3x daily to 4x daily.I dont understand if it does not need testing daily why the increase?

On this point alone, I would ask to see another Dr. An Hb1Ac of 10% (your 3 month test) is high and should be treated as such ...OK, not as high as say 17 or 18, but high all the same compared to 6.5% which you should be aiming for.
And as for 'about 10' he/she should be exact and read out the full test results.

IMHO you should be getting better treatment than this and if it were me, I would be thumping the table.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.

Tragically, some of us have to depend on a healthcare professional who hasn't a clue. This seems to be getting more common. I had my strips reduced to 2 packs per year because the PCT said it was enough. I AM THE PERSON WITH T2. I know it's not enough to be tested once a year. I also know that our PCT's record of diabetes care is abysmal, with fewer that 50.% of the patients hitting the targets.
I put this to them and it didn't get me anywhere, so I buy my own strips and use on average 2 per day. Hence a pack lasts most of a month.
I NEED to KNOW if my BG is on target and to correct it if it drifts. According to my own PCT's published material, that should qualify me for strips, but they won't budge.
Hana
PS I use a Freestyle Lite meter and buy my srips from the Supplier[Abbott Diabetes Care}

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates

Hello Tony,
First, it is the simvastatin, not the metf that is likely to be causing the muscle pains. Those are the tablets you should stop, to see if they are the cause of the problem.

To give proper advice, we need more info about your condition - please ask your Dr for a printout of your blood test results - you won't understand everything, but as you have a lifetime condition, you will build up a portfolio over the years, so that YOU will be able to monitor your condition.

The important diabetes numbers include HbA1c, which is an indication of the average blood glucose over 2-3 months. That is the number the Dr/consultant uses to prescribe medication. Non-diabetic it is around 5, & that is our target.

Total cholesterol & the detailed lipids profile indicate whether you have a potential problem & medication is advised. That is what the simv is for.

Kidney function is measured by GFR. Normal is above 90.

Have you been given diet instructions? If you have been told to base your diet on starchy carbohydrates, DON'T. The moderators will be long soon with their general advice.

Please post your numbers, & tell us what you eat, & we can give more constructive advice.