Stopping weight loss from LCHF

Mplyon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi I'm new I am type 2 diabetes and I'm regulating my blood sugar with a LCHF diet I've been doing this for 5 weeks now but I am not overweight I started at 8st 3pounds and I I'm now 7st 12 which is too light has anyone got an opinion on this please
Pauline

Reactions: Ukgal

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I'm new I am type 2 diabetes and I'm regulating my blood sugar with a LCHF diet I've been doing this for 5 weeks now but I am not overweight I started at 8st 3pounds and I I'm now 7st 12 which is too light has anyone got an opinion on this please
Pauline
Same happened to me I lost weight I did not need to when I went lower carb and then to make it worse Metformin took away my appetite and I was eating very little so I lost more I dropped to 7st 10lb from about 8st 4lb. I now take 500mg of SR Metformin once a day and manage to eat properly although not as much I used to and now I weigh just about 8 stone. Some will say to eat more fat to put weight on but that did not work for me I tried butter cream and full fat dairy which I didn't really enjoy so went back to my more moderate fat intake. I don't eat red meat sausages or bacon I don't like it but I have a lot of eggs and cheese which I love my fat is more from good oils like olive rapeseed and coconut oils, as well as olives a lot of avocados and a few nuts a day. I think you have to find what suits you and what food will help you put on weight

Mplyon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you for your reply that has helped me I will try a little more fat like more cheese and nuts and hope that does the job. It's nice to here someone with the same problem as me everybody out there seems to be trying to lose weight. Thank you again

Reactions: TIANDB and Prem51

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Pauline

Sounds like you're losing about 1lb a week, so that's not toooo drastic.

What are your blood numbers doing since you changed your diet?

You could try either eating just a bit more than you are doing now. Alternatively, you could add just a bit more fat to things; like a knob of butter to your vegetables, or a dollop of cream to enrich sauces.

Just try one thing at a time and monitor it for at least 2 weeks.

Good luck with it.

Reactions: Prem51 and Mplyon

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello @Mplyon, no, you're not alone. I've never been overweight but I needed to "redistribute" a bit from around my middle. I lost a stone doing that and am now very thin. I eat a lot of everything I think is right for me, including all kinds of fat, and manage to maintain weight. A dietician would have a fit seeing the imbalance in my food but this is what it achieves for me ...
last day 2.jpg

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. It's important when going low-carb to have enough fats AND protein to keep you feeling full. I never use the acronym LCHF as it (wrongly) ignores the need for proteins as well as fats. Let's hope that as long as you have enough fats and protein that your weight loss will slow down. Of course if you are very active you may need to increase the carbs a bit.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No, you are not alone. Some of us have never been overweight, and some of us (like me) were overweight then lost it all on LCHF. It is trial and error and a fine balancing act. If you intend to keep carbs at the same level (or lower) all you can do is increase either fats or protein or both. Just like eating to your meter, you also need to eat to your scales by adding in extra foods like cheese and nuts, or cream, or as I did extra eggs. If you enjoy a small glass of red wine sometimes you could even add that if the other foods are insufficient. It took me at least 2 months to stabilise, add a bit back, and then maintain.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Remember the BMI is not that useful, and you can have a lot of hidden fat round your organs that you need to lose to control Type2. Without a scan it is very hard to tell. If you are a type 2, it is very likely you will benefit from losing a little weight even if it makes you look a little under weight.

However, GPs don't always get it right when they label people as "Type2".....

Reactions: Prem51

KarenZ

I was eating mostly a vegan diet before being diagnosed as "pre-diabetic". Now I am unable to eat that type of food --beans, lentils, chick peas, bulgur, etc. because they are all too high carb. Eating more fish and started eating chicken, low fat cheese, 0 fat yogurt. Weight dropped and am always hungry. I am thin and can't afford to lose more weight. It has been a struggle because I also have high cholesterol and avoid saturated fat. Have been putting a generous amount of olive oil on everything and eating various nuts several times a day but feel my diet is so limited. Not enjoying eating anymore. Also eating tofu and tempeh but tempeh seems to raise my glucose where tofu does not. I sympathize with this problem of being thin and diabetic. I do eat avocados too. Always looking for other high calorie foods that are healthy but do not raise your blood glucose.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
FULL fat yogurt and FULL fat cheese. Did you know that when they take the fat out of yogurt they add sugar so it tastes like food? You are always hungry because you are not eating the fat your body needs to run on. Full fat dairy will also not raise your blood sugar as much. In my case my cholesterol went down.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
low fat cheese, 0 fat yogurt.

I also have high cholesterol and avoid saturated fat.

You would do much better to ditch any product that is low fat/lite fat etc. On low carb we do need to make up the calorie (energy) deficit with fats and protein. There is no other way. Both these will stop the hunger in its tracks, increasing them will help with your weight issues, and adding extra vegetables (with a knob of butter) will make foods more appetising. In addition, our bodies need fat, and it helps keep the post meal spikes lower. There is absolutely no need to drown yourself in fats, and equally there is no reason to fear them.

The latest science is debunking the antiquated insistence that fat causes heart disease and strokes. This recent article is from the Lancet - a weekly peer-reviewed general medical journal. It is one of the world's oldest and best known general medical journals.

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(17)32252-3/fulltext?elsca1=tlxpr

As for raising cholesterol, you need to use the search box to find the myriad of threads about this. Far too many research papers to link here. My personal experience is that my cholesterol lipids improved significantly when I went low carb and ditched the low fat processed stuff in favour of the real thing.

There is a Vegan and Vegetarian sub section on these forums that you will find enlightening. http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/vegetarian-diet-forum.71/

In the food section of the forum you will find threads with ideas and recipes and may find some ideas here
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb

besho

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Pauline

the first 2-3 kilo you lost in your LCHF diet would be water then you will lose some body fat after

Reactions: Mplyon

Gandi_

Remember the BMI is not that useful, and you can have a lot of hidden fat round your organs that you need to lose to control Type2. Without a scan it is very hard to tell. If you are a type 2, it is very likely you will benefit from losing a little weight even if it makes you look a little under weight.

However, GPs don't always get it right when they label people as "Type2".....
Hi.
I've suffered unintentional weights loss of 5lb within few weeks which lead me to visit GP and discovering that I was a type 2. And I continued to loose weight (total 13lb in 6 months) - although I was now taking 500 METFORMIN. GP was very worried and done a list of blood tests (showed nothing out of the ordinary)
Could I have been mis diagnosed and be a TYPE 1 than a TYPE 2?

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
FULL fat yogurt and FULL fat cheese. Did you know that when they take the fat out of yogurt they add sugar so it tastes like food? You are always hungry because you are not eating the fat your body needs to run on. Full fat dairy will also not raise your blood sugar as much. In my case my cholesterol went down.
No all low fat yogurts have a lot of sugar you just have to read the labels to find the low sugar ones. For example Danone Light and Free is low fat and low sugar other makes are doing the same

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
This person is trying not to lose weight. What would be the point in no sugar no fat low calorie fake food?

Mplyon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello @Mplyon, no, you're not alone. I've never been overweight but I needed to "redistribute" a bit from around my middle. I lost a stone doing that and am now very thin. I eat a lot of everything I think is right for me, including all kinds of fat, and manage to maintain weight. A dietician would have a fit seeing the imbalance in my food but this is what it achieves for me ...
View attachment 23692

I would love to have the bs like yours do you do intermittent fasting And 3 meals a day. I have egg and bacon for breakfast then I fast until lunch for lunch I have a salad then I fast until dinner for dinner I have veg. And a meat then nothing until next morning. My bs is around 7.0 to 7.9 but I'd love if it was around 5 or 6 like yours