New Low Carb Range at Morrisons

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The Hovis low carb loaf is the normal small loaf size not the silly little slices of the other low carb bread
And nearly 10g carbs a slice, which is beween 1/4 and 1/3 of my total daily carbs consumption preference - so definitely not an option for me. The Carbszone loaf is also a bit higher than I'd normally choose for my baked stuff but I thought it might be useful for times when I'm not up to making my own.

Home baked low carb bread is generally completely wheat free and fairly dense in composition and these two combined mean that you wouldn't normally want or need to eat larger (and thicker!) slices.:D

Robbity

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Will have the Penne Pasta on Tuesday....can't wait to try it.....has to be one of the foods I miss most. Will be chicken with single cream ...mushrooms over some hopefully yummy pasta ....maybe Bolognese pasta later in the week....:hungry:

Reactions: Prem51 and Rachox

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Will have the Penne Pasta on Tuesday....can't wait to try it.....has to be one of the foods I miss most. Will be chicken with single cream ...mushrooms over some hopefully yummy pasta ....maybe Bolognese pasta later in the week....:hungry:
I'll be interested to hear what it's like.

Reactions: Gezzabelle

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I got the Carbzone Penne Pasta today and this is my verdict and results of how it affected my blood sugars.
I cooked it as per the instructions and on that I will say cook it a bit longer as it has a tendency not to soften within the 9 minutes they say. Penne pasta is always firmer and more al dente than other kinds and this one, true to form was certainly that and had a very chewy texture which was different but not entirely unpleasant. I have to say that the sight of the pasta in the meal was somehow very satisfying....I have to admit that having any kind of meal like pasta Bolognese WITHOUT the pasta has never quite worked for me so it at least fills that hole and I will definitely have it again....possibly with said Bolgonese next time :)

My meal consisted of the following

46g dry weight Carbzone Penne Pasta...( cooked in salted water for 20 mins)
75g sliced mushrooms
200g chicken breast
small pot of single cream
Large dollop of Philadelphia full fat
Basil and black pepper
All were cooked in butter and the pasta added for the last couple of minutes

BG before the meal 5.1
BG after 2 hours 6.2

Conclusion being that the pasta has no effect whatsoever on BG in my case and it is certainly worthy of a try if you miss your pasta. I will be buying it again and look forward to my Bolognese pasta now, knowing that it won't have any bad effects on my BG :)

Reactions: Prem51

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I tried the Tortilla's in this Carbzone range and have to say they were the most disgusting thing I have eaten in my life. The texture was one of soft candle wax and they had a peculiar smell of very strong vinegar about them. They weren't cheap but went straight in the bin. Morrisons did however refund me the full price as I left a review that didn't exactly recommend them and it is their policy to refund in full if you leave a review that isn't a good one recommending any product at all that you buy from them. I also tried the Fusilli pasta this week and after the firmness of the Penne one I decided to try a different way of cooking it rather than have it turn out the same. I soaked it in warm, salted water for half an hour which I hoped would soften it more. It did more than that....it cooked it and softened it perfectly. This was all with just tap hot water and left with no heat under it. All I had to do was put it on the heat for 1 minute to heat it properly and have to say it was perfect! It had zero impact on my blood sugar too which makes it a god send and puts pasta back on my menu for sure :)