Metformin and IBS

stupot1000

Hi

I'm new to the forum and wondering if there is anyone out there who, like me, is struggling to take metformin SR and at the same time suffering from very active Irritable Bowel Syndrome. For me it just doesnt work. I try to be in full time work and control my type 2 at the same time and I have been trying different medication via my gp since the begining of the year. My present dose is 1 x 500mg met SR + 1 x 100mg Sitagliptin daily which didn't quite give the bs reading required. My gp asked me to increase the dose to 2 x met but that is when the IBS rebelled to a be very aggressive with an unacceptable amount of pain and other side effects so he has now asked me to reduce back to 1 met to try and ease the pain from the IBS, complicated isn't it?
Anybody any tips please?

S

Pinger

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, suggest you request the Slow-Release version of metformin. I tolerate 850mg x 4 per day but both mum & sister had to get slow-release due to similar problems you've described. Since starting on Slow-Release it's been happy days ever since! And good response to blood sugar readings.
Best of luck.

anniep

I suffer from IBS and at first with a full dose of met 4x500 per day. I was in a quite a state.

I stopped the starchy carbs against the practice nurse and dieticians advice and discovered that wheat is a major IBS trigger. Without the wheat my bg came down and the metformin was halved and now I find that if I take it in the middle of a full meal - not bofore or after but right in the middle, then I have little problem. ALthough if the time ever comes to up the dose again I will have to ask for the slow release.

squishychickfi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
curry or anything spicy, snakes and mosquitos!
I have IBS (not severe) and found that the slow release don't cause me too much problem - however stress is now making it worse than it used to be - so trying to avoid that! I think that the metformin is OK, but I am more susceptible to other factors!

Hope you find something that works for you.

mehdave

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rubbish doctors who dont listen. Unclean hospitals
I have ibs aswell and got Diamicron MR as both metformin and standard glic gave me the runs.

Speak to your doc dont overdo the anti runs meds I had to go flushed out in hospital :oops: :lol: