Vision deteriorating

samowen268

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey guys, I've posted on this forum a few times but didn't realise there was a section just for sight issues.

For a while I've noticed my vision is very grainy, especially in lights that aren't natural, so if a room is lit by a lamp, it's extremely fuzzy, it feels as though I'm watching life through a low resolution camera :( these issues have brought on anxiety attacks which have lead to being hospitalised! My nurse says that because my BG control was awful for so long (it is now finally under great control!) that tightening my blood control left my brain confused and unable to operate normally and so apparently uses this fuzz as a coping mechanism until it settles..

It has been at least 4/5 months now and my vision is getting worse! I have no clue what to do, every morning I wake up and it takes at least 20 minutes until I can see anything clearly at all, the light sensitivity is killing me and the constant visual snow is making me so depressed.

Eye screening results show there was some maculopathy but would heal itself in no time with good control (which I have done).

I could cry, I am 18 Years Old and everywhere I go (opticians, doctors, hospital, eye screening) say all the tests for my eyes are fine but I'm feeling like I'm going blind, I don't know what action to take, I feel like people aren't taking me seriously and I'm terrified, especially as nobody seems to know what's going on, someone please try to help or give me some advice, I'd appreciate it so much! Thankyou so much in advance, sorry for rambling x

rosalindp

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
Sorry to hear that you're having troubles. {hugs}
2 things:
1. I'm also going thru the hassle of the medico blaming -other- health issues on past high sugar levels ... so I'm waiting until 3mths is up so that my new HbA1C test will show my improved levels - and then maybe, they'll start listening to my concerns. - How long ago was your latest HbA1C test?
2. Re eyesight. It's really good that the opticians etc say that your eyes are fine... :) ....but I can understand you being worried. I've also had occasions where the opticians etc have said that my eyesight was fine ... yet my eyesight was unusually blurry. (It had happened just suddenly, and both my near vision & far vision were affected.) - Finally, I worked out that it was a side effect of Metformin. (Not that the medicos will admit that anything is wrong with the pills they love to prescribe. Sigh.) The Metformin was locking my body's use of the Omega 3 that was in the food I was eating - so the result was that my eyes were affected -as if- I didn't have enough in my diet. (Fortunately, just temporarily.)
I hope that something can be done soon to restore your eyesight...
Kind regards,
Rosalind

~ I always like to look on the optimistic side of life, but I am realistic enough to know that life is a complex matter. - Walt Disney

Dark Horse

Sorry to hear about your problem. Does it sound like the description here? http://eyeonvision.org/visual-snow.html

There's also an article about it here:- https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...-snow-debilitating-eye-condition-doesnt-exist

There is also a facebook support group:- https://www.facebook.com/vssupport/

If this is your problem, the bottom line seems to be that the problem is not in the eyes but in the brain, no-one knows what causes it and although there is no treatment, the condition stabilises and people don't go blind from it. It's possible that worrying about it may make it worse as you are focusing your attention on it. One of the tips is to do activities where you become engrossed in something as the brain 'forgets' to notice the visual snow when you concentrate on something else. Other tips mentioned are to avoid fluorescent lighting, use polarised sunglasses and take frequent breaks from computer screens.

Meanwhile, well done on improving your diabetic control and make sure you continue to attend all your eye appointments.

Reactions: azure and zand

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @samowen268 ,

Could your BS have gone low during the night..?
I can wake like this when the alarm goes off if I've had to treat a low during the night then gone back to sleep...
After 20 the eyes adjust. Though my head can feel like a hangover...

Reactions: samowen268

samowen268

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @samowen268 ,

Could your BS have gone low during the night..?
I can wake like this when the alarm goes off if I've had to treat a low during the night then gone back to sleep...
After 20 the eyes adjust. Though my head can feel like a hangover...

I've never really thought about this, I will keep a closer look out through the night, thank you !

Reactions: Jaylee

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've never really thought about this, I will keep a closer look out through the night, thank you !

Do you test immediately on waking?
it could also be you maybe waking low? (Mid to high 3s?) The eye thing, the stress, then a liver dump...
Not sure of your personal routine in the morning..

Hypoglycaemia can do strange stuff to the eyes.. Light sensitivity, colour blindness, grainy low res imaging, dancing flashes in the lower field of vision & even greeny/blue butterfly wing gossamer style maps of France... ;)