Carers Allowance

martina

Hello, Im just looking for advice about the carers allowance I receive. I have just started a part-time job. One week I earn £120 and the next £90 and so on. I contacted the benefits office to let them know i had started working. The woman told me that I was no longer entitled to the allowance and it would be stopped. She told me the limit per week is £116 and two weeks of the month I do earn over so that's fair enough but I did think it would be balanced out by the weeks that I am under. I just wanted to ask if anyone knew how it works as I was told by another lady that it was all worked out on a yearly basis. If im no longer entitled to it that's fine however I just want to make sure I am being given the correct information. Thanks.

Reactions: yingtong

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
The system is a minefield, go have a word at your local CAB. The staff there are often more clued up than those at Benefits centres. Good luck.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think some of her info is a bit off - in my bumf for carers allowance it says £110 which is backed up on the website. I would double check everything she told you have a look at this link - scroll down to the earnings bit - hope this helps :) remember the £110 is net not gross, so after tax Nat Ins and certain expenses

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/social-care-and-support-guide/Pages/carers-allowance.aspx

My earnings vary – can I keep my Carer's Allowance?
If your earnings vary, the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) will usually agree to look at your average earnings over a five-week period if this means the earnings are assessed more accurately. It may help if you show the DWP a copy of your employment contract to show the details of the agreement about how you are to be paid.

Reactions: gvintagedrken

Peerless67

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Peerless67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
No it is not means tested but there is still a threshold on how much you can earn to claim it. Without a doubt it is one of the most dubious pieces of governmental legislation we have.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
From what I understand, you can,t earn more then 116 a week. I understand that is every second week but the DWP Don, t look at that. I could be wrong so I suggest you see the cab

martina

The link given above is out of date info from September 2015. There is a new rate of CA and a slightly higher threshold.
If you are giving 35 hours or more of care a week do not lose over £240 a month to gain £4 two weeks in a month. Speak to your employer and adjust the hours on those 2 weeks.

This is your best resource for carers in the country.

https://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advice/financial-support/help-with-benefits/carers-allowance
The link given above is out of date info from September 2015. There is a new rate of CA and a slightly higher threshold.
If you are giving 35 hours or more of care a week do not lose over £240 a month to gain £4 two weeks in a month. Speak to your employer and adjust the hours on those 2 weeks.

This is your best resource for carers in the country.

https://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advice/financial-support/help-with-benefits/carers-allowance
Its the way the shifts work, 4 days and then 3 days. I dont think the pattern can be changed.

martina

I will have a chat with my employers to see if they can help.Its the way the shifts fall, so i dont think much can be done about it. CAB a good idea thanks.

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
could your employer not just move one hours pay to the lower week. you still do your normal hours. no fraud your still declaring the number of hours and amounts.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Can your employer put you on monthly or 4 weekly pay instread of weekly pay?