Flu jab 2010/2011

Dippy3103

Re: Flu jab 2010.

Having mine next week... hope i don't get the same almighty lump the swine flu vaccine gave me.

I have only had flu once in my life and don't ever want it again!

mehdave

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rubbish doctors who dont listen. Unclean hospitals

Getting mine on the 9th aswell as the pneumonia vaccine

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Go and get your Flu jabs - now !!

I got one last year and felt it had been a waste of time. I felt ill after the swine flu jab and had a very sore arm for days and wonder if the new combined vaccine would have the same effect. I wonder if a well-controlled type 2 really needs to have it? It's been years since I had the flu anyway - since I was a child I think and that was a very long time ago :(

Dollyrocker

Re: Go and get your Flu jabs - Now !!

I get offered the jab every year by my GP, Diabetes Nurse and at work and I always sdecline.

I've never had the flu and figure if it ain't broke... That said I'm sure I've jinxed myself by saying that 'out loud'!

jopar

I won't be having my flu jab this year..

As this year Flu Jab also contains the swine flu as well... Which I had last year and have no intentions of having another dose of it

The Govenrment has been very sneeky and under handed in how with this, as they haven't publised this information at all which takes our right of choice away...

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.

Does having the jab mess up one's acquired immunity to winter illnesses?

Celtic.Piskie

Dislikes
Whole-wheat past and rice, tastes horrible. Cats, spiders, and people who think nick jonas is a musician.

The flu jab is ALWAYS a combined jab.. always has been. The seperation of it last year was the exception.
The inclusion of H1N1 strain is in no way different to the inclusion of any other strain of flu... exactly the same immunisation, made in exactly the same way as all the other flu jabs.

This is no different to any other jab !

It is jsut like your natural immunity, it is a 'dead' form of hte viruses they think will be the most prevalent. You feel a little ill for a few days, but no problem. Then if you do get the flu, your body knows it's an invader and is better equipped to fight it off, lessening the time and severity of the illness.
If you ask, they will tell you what strains of flu are in the jab, but H1N1 is no different to any other flu jab.

Dippy3103

I am having my jab on Saturday. I am t2, diet only. But having had flu once in my life (pre diabetes) I don't ever want it again, i was in bed for nearly a week and felt awful for a month!

lambros6

I wont be getting any Flu jabs as i researched the Swine -flu vaccine and i don`t think there was enough tests carried out on it.
Remember, at the time , it was rushed out because of a false alarm so they had no time to do the usual testing on the vaccine.
The vaccine contains too many toxins that can cause problems now or later in life.
The WHO and president Obama, along with other leaders of nations admitted that they made a mistake and it wasn`t a pandemic.
Out of every 200 suspected Swine-flu patients, 0.8% had swine flu.
It was created by big pharmas and they made billions.
Now governments are getting rid of their unused stock-piles like they did with Tamiflu on kids last year.
If they have vaccinated so many people, there shouldn`t be any Pandemic this year.
When people catch flu, most stay at home so we shouldn`t worry too much about catching it.
Believe me. I done a whole lot of research on the swine -flu vaccine and i`m afraid it will cause serious after -affects wether it`s in the short or long term.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.

There are many of us who have done our own research into the Flu jab and it's constituent parts......I for one will be having it this year and the next etc......I have never had a problem with it and know plenty of people who also have never had a problem. As far as I am concerned it protects me from what could be a nasty bout of Flu........sounds good to me.

Lezzles

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
CJ from the Egg heads
Shellfish
Leaving home without an umbrella

i had the flu last xmas and it was awful but i'd rather go without the jab and let the elderly and those less able to fight it have it instead of me im young enough and healthy enough to cope :)

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.

But isn't there enough vaccine for everybody who wants it this year? There is no panic like there was last year (not yet anyway). And, after all, there was enough vaccine...

Celtic.Piskie

Dislikes
Whole-wheat past and rice, tastes horrible. Cats, spiders, and people who think nick jonas is a musician.

Flu increases death's amongst diabetics by 15%....
We're also six times more likely to be admitted to hospital than non-diabetics.

It can kill us.... unfortunatly we are one of those 'less able' to cope, simply by having diabetes. It screws our control, we're mor likely to get pneumonia than non-diabetics and they can both be lethal.

Rushy

I'll have the jab every time I'm offered it! I was diagnosed with Type 2 when I was already in hospital with Pneumonia, as well as a serious urinary infection. Sadly it's all too easy for diabetics to get a little run down and be wide open to infection.

PlymouthDave

I've booked my annual jab for next Monday but now I know the Swine Flu vaccine will be included, I am not sure if I should have it or not! :?

sugar2

I am booked in for teh jab next week. I accept that it may not be completely side effect free, but for me, the risks in having outweigh the risks of not getting it.

Question for those clever people out there.

If I had the swine flu jab last year...did that protect me for life, or just for a , say 12 month period? If it was for life, will my immune system attack teh vaccine...and hence my arm hurt more? Just curious?

broads

Thoughts please. My local surgery is doing a massive Saturday morning flu jab for anyone who needs it in two weeks time. I never have reactions to jabs whatever they are. This time however, I am flying to Peru the Saturday following the jab for a 3 week holiday. Do I have the jab or not? That is my dilemma.

Dippy3103

Had mine yesterday morning. The nurses at my GP surgery were working their way through 150 flu jabs yesterday!
I am sore and itchy at the injection site, but it beats the hell out of getting flu. My employer now offers it to all staff, and if I didn't get it on the nhs I would have it through my employer. I guess they feel if they stop a few cases of flu then they save on sick pay and reduced efficiency.
The mild discomfort in my arm is worth it to reduce my risk of flu.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)

Next Saturday, the 9th Oct is the date set for mine.

I have been wrestling with the whether or not question but due to my respiratory problems flu could prove extremely dangerous for me so have decided that all things considered it would be better for me to go ahead with it :D

Aching arm here I come :cry: