Vit D shortage

S

Sean01

Any one lese having difficulties with Vit D level....had a terrible few weeks waking at night my arms in agony...went to the doctors who did blood tests and came bakc to me saying Vit D is very low and to go to chemist and buy some?

For a moment I thought you said Vit B

But then I read Vit D - that's self synthesised by exposure to sun light? So forgive me for sounding like I'm off topic but what's the weather like where you are and are you able to get out (totally understand if you can't)

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Where did you get the above 100 range from, and do you know which units it is?
My lab report does not give a reference range. It actually says "not applicable". The test was a 25-OH vit D. The units were nmol/L

I have been trying to find a UK official reference range without much success. The goal posts move. I have seen that 50 is the lowest adequate level, that between 50 and 100nmol/l (20-40ng/mL) is normal, also seen that 75 is adequate. 200 is too much. No-one seems to know for sure, which may explain why my lab doesn't give one.

My report says I am 43 nmol
less than 25 is deficient 25-50 insufficient
> 200 is too much.

Dr Mercola is BIG on vitamin C and lots of it so maybe google him and see what he has to say about why .

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My report says I am 43 nmol
less than 25 is deficient 25-50 insufficient
> 200 is too much.

Dr Mercola is BIG on vitamin C and lots of it so maybe google him and see what he has to say about why .

Thanks. That seems to concur with much of what I read apart from one place that said under 75 is not good. Mine was 65nmol/l in late November so for now I'll take that as OK but could be better.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For a moment I thought you said Vit B

But then I read Vit D - that's self synthesised by exposure to sun light? So forgive me for sounding like I'm off topic but what's the weather like where you are and are you able to get out (totally understand if you can't)

Interestingly, it seems to be a rather vicious circle. The lower you are on Vit D, the more likely you are to burn in the sun - making you more likely to stay out of the sun. Very annoying, especially for those of us told to stay OUT of the sun because of skin cancer risks.

My own experience is that during the last 2 years of supplementing generously with VitD3 and K2 (and natural source C) I have been able to tolerate much more sun without burning, and my skin has gone light brown from the sun rather than lobster before going back to pastywhite.
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0022202X17315580

Reactions: TIANDB

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am a great believer in obtaining all the vits and minerals we need from our food. I don't take any supplements apart from R-ALA (which is all natural from plant sources). I try to keep my eye on my blood markers for any possible deficiencies and how I feel in my myself. If my blood markers are fine and if I continue to feel well I won't be taking supplements and won't be pushing any more chemicals down my throat than necessary to keep me well and alive.

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
Just remember to supplement with D3 (it is most accessible to the body) and add in Vitamin K2 (not K1!) as well.
Since K2 helps you to use D3.

The nurse I spoke to last week (routine checkup) stressed both of these things and said that unless we take K2 with our D3 we are wasting our time. Her actual words were 'no point taking D3 without K2 as well.'

She is a keeper.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/the-word-is-filtering-through-about-vits-d3-and-k2.125842/
She sounds like she knows her job - which is a nice change. Definitely a keeper. My neurologist when I mentioned this said that most people in the northern hemisphere are likely to be vitamin D deficient (particularly in the winter/spring). Oh the joys of living in the UK!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I last had my Vit D tested, the Endo asked me what I took, and was astonished to find I have never supplemented, but still tested at 90.

Two Endos now have proclaimed they haven't seem anyone with natural levels of 90 for a very long time.

I hadn't even been away in the sun just beforehand, so I concluded that some folks just have higher or lower levels naturally.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I concluded that some folks just have higher or lower levels naturally.
Yes indeed - there are genetic SNPs that affect the Vitamin D Receptor. I'm one of the unlucky ones who naturally have inhibited Vitamin D absorption :(

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
When I last had my Vit D tested, the Endo asked me what I took, and was astonished to find I have never supplemented, but still tested at 90.

Two Endos now have proclaimed they haven't seem anyone with natural levels of 90 for a very long time.

I hadn't even been away in the sun just beforehand, so I concluded that some folks just have higher or lower levels naturally.

Mine was over 150..... for d3.

They suspect you are at risk of heart troubles that high unless your calcium is in balance too. Mine is.

I used to be a gardener and out all daylight hours day and winter. The test though was 6 months after I had stopped that job.

The test was done months after I was told to take D3 and calcium because of cancer hormone tablet. The Oncologist said blindly for me to take it. I complained bitterly as I have aspartame intolerance and the NHS one they prescribed contained aspartame. I bought pure d3 liquid and used it. Then after my dexa scan being excellent I asked for my d3 to be tested and thats when it came in at 150+. I then stopped D3 liquid and anything besides eggs that may contain it. My levels remain in balance with calcium but remain stubbornly at 147 despite not going out in the sun. I do not wear bikinis or my vest tshirts as previously. Nirmally 3/4 length arm tshirts and its been two years now since I've sat out in the sun.

Its odd and I have had no D3 supplements for 18 months now. Nobody knows why my D3 remains so high. Whilst calcium remains high too they arent worried though. So now I have calcium and d3 measured every year at end of winter.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I think mine went into insuffient due to far less supplemented cereal in my diet and moved to a less sunnier climate.
I dislike sitting in the sun. It raises my blood pressure.

hca

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Interestingly, it seems to be a rather vicious circle. The lower you are on Vit D, the more likely you are to burn in the sun - making you more likely to stay out of the sun. Very annoying, especially for those of us told to stay OUT of the sun because of skin cancer risks.

My own experience is that during the last 2 years of supplementing generously with VitD3 and K2 (and natural source C) I have been able to tolerate much more sun without burning, and my skin has gone light brown from the sun rather than lobster before going back to pastywhite.
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0022202X17315580
Mmm interesting. I tested at <10 back in February and put on high dose of vit d. I have always burnt when out in the sun, so wear a complete sunblock cream and tended to sit in the shade.

Recent blood tests for vit d ( not given levels and forgot to ask) have been told to continue with tablets for 6 months then stop.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I hear all this about not absorbing D without K2. Not the case for me. I take 2000iu per day. Little ore or less season dictated. At DX I was 24. 3 months later , no K2 and I was 58. I'm sure insulin helped with absorption ( and lack of insulin depletion) but I've never taken K2

Vit D is our anti cancer vitamin. People are slathering on sunscreen and skin cancer has gone way up. I've had numerous moles that were precancerous and they were all where the sun doesn't shine. Of course too much sun and burning is no good but some early morning or later afternoon sun within reason is always good IMO

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The advice I've read is 20 minutes a day in the sun with no sun cream. Even if there is no actual sun, but plenty of bright light, it will help, and avoid the mid day.

Reactions: donnellysdogs

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I hear all this about not absorbing D without K2. Not the case for me. I take 2000iu per day. Little ore or less season dictated. At DX I was 24. 3 months later , no K2 and I was 58. I'm sure insulin helped with absorption ( and lack of insulin depletion) but I've never taken K2

Vit D is our anti cancer vitamin. People are slathering on sunscreen and skin cancer has gone way up. I've had numerous moles that were precancerous and they were all where the sun doesn't shine. Of course too much sun and burning is no good but some early morning or later afternoon sun within reason is always good IMO

If you have a read of the various articles and discussions (Mercola is a good springboard)
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2015/06/28/vitamin-k2-health-benefits.aspx
then it becomes clear that good VitD levels are great - but they definitely don't tell the whole story. Even with good VitD, if Vit K2 is insufficient, there is increased risk of calcium being deposited in places where it shouldn't be deposited, including arteries. This is why some people with calcium deposits are told not to take VitD, when better advice would be to keep optimum levels of VitD and add in enough K2 so that the calcium is sent to places where it does good (strengthening bones, etc.) and not to line the artery walls.

Reactions: donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
If you have a read of the various articles and discussions (Mercola is a good springboard)
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2015/06/28/vitamin-k2-health-benefits.aspx
then it becomes clear that good VitD levels are great - but they definitely don't tell the whole story. Even with good VitD, if Vit K2 is insufficient, there is increased risk of calcium being deposited in places where it shouldn't be deposited, including arteries. This is why some people with calcium deposits are told not to take VitD, when better advice would be to keep optimum levels of VitD and add in enough K2 so that the calcium is sent to places where it does good (strengthening bones, etc.) and not to line the artery walls.

Thank you!! Totally agree. Anybody with high vit D should also have calcium checked....

@Brunneria... thankyou.

Reactions: Brunneria

NatJS

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
I'd read somewhere (not sure where!) that vitamin D deficiency is common in type 2s because, well, type 2s tend to be fat, and vitamin D is a fat soluble vitamin and just gets absorbed into the excess body fat.

bluejeans98

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Holland and Barrett. Dlux3000 vitamin D spray. One spray in your mouth in the morning. Tastes of mint. Cost £7.99. Lasts 100 days.

Reactions: Ambry