Hot weather.

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
just wanted to post and share my experiences of a really hot holiday. I had suffered in the UK when it got hot and for the first time in my life feared going on holiday where it was really hot. The holiday temp. ranged between 30 & 40 in the shade and considerably hotter in the sun. I hope this will help anyone else who has had high BG readings when hot prepare.

First experience was that the first two days my BG was about 1-1.5 mmol above what I would consider my norm. But that normalised and after about three days I found that in general - nothing to do with food - my BG maintained good control. I put that down to being tired and no exercise on a long journey.

There were some problems though. The morning DP was much worse and longer than in the UK. I am not sure about how this DP thing works. On some days I had no breakfast at all - I was milling around - it was really hot and my BG maintained - no DP. On other days same thing but a near zero carb breakfast - within an hour I was +2mmol and difficult to get down within four hours.

Throughout the holiday I had to be really careful on what I ate. On a couple of days in the afternoon - no lunch - I was able to eat half a mars ice cream, my only holiday treat and little impact. Aside from that - didn't even have berries for desert - too high carbs.

Red wine - no help on DP. Tried a glass with dinner every evening. Pool did help sometimes - but not as well as I had hoped with DP. Afternoons and evenings, regardless of heat were fine.

BTW - since apply skin tac wipe with Libre - no plasters - two week in sun, sea, pool - no problem at all.

Reactions: ziggy_w

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I wouldn't last five minutes where ever that was high temperatures are something I cannot deal with very well.

James1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am off on hols I'm 11 weeks to Florida and although the temps will not be as high as you had I am still looking forward to it high bs or not

Reactions: JohnEGreen

annscullamus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
This is very interesting - I was just on a cruise which went to Iceland and on a whale watching excursion in choppy and extremely cold waters out in the sea I absolutely froze, and this was in July. I was violently sick that evening and had to go to the infirmary. The Ukrainian doctor knew I was Type 2 strict diet controlled and her first question was had I been either very hot or very cold. I told her about the trip, during which I felt as if my body was closing down as I got colder to which she replied that extreme temperatures are very bad for Diabetes and my sickness, high numbers and severe joint pain was due to that fact. She also said that most UK doctors would not believe this ! I was well after 24 hours and on returning home a South African doctor friend told me EXACTLY the same, and made the same comment, albeit quietly and under her breath given she is a doctor in the local hospital ! I am off to Australia next February so now will be very careful indeed! I am so glad I now know this - no medic has ever told me this ! Thought I would pass the info on for what it is worth.

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is very interesting - I was just on a cruise which went to Iceland and on a whale watching excursion in choppy and extremely cold waters out in the sea I absolutely froze, and this was in July. I was violently sick that evening and had to go to the infirmary. The Ukrainian doctor knew I was Type 2 strict diet controlled and her first question was had I been either very hot or very cold. I told her about the trip, during which I felt as if my body was closing down as I got colder to which she replied that extreme temperatures are very bad for Diabetes and my sickness, high numbers and severe joint pain was due to that fact. She also said that most UK doctors would not believe this ! I was well after 24 hours and on returning home a South African doctor friend told me EXACTLY the same, and made the same comment, albeit quietly and under her breath given she is a doctor in the local hospital ! I am off to Australia next February so now will be very careful indeed! I am so glad I now know this - no medic has ever told me this ! Thought I would pass the info on for what it is worth.

Very interesting. All I would add is that it might be more to do with the transitions. When I came back to the UK it took three days for my BG to go up then down again to normal levels - and it was not warm. I wasn't expecting that as I was certain that the cooler weather would just keep my BG constant.

D

Deleted member 308541

I am off to Australia next February so now will be very careful indeed!
It depend where about in Australia you are going to, the temps will be starting to decrease a bit.

We had a hot summer this year in Bundaberg with temps reaching 40° C with a slice of humidity thrown in for good measure.

We live a bit less than 400 Klms south of the Tropic of Capricorn, and our temp today is going to be a max of 28° C, we are in the first week of Spring so it's gunna be a warm xmas.

MangosteenElbow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Higher temperatures triggered high BGLs when I was pre-keto adapted. Not so much an issue now.
Dehydration affects my BGLs and sends the CSGM readings into an unstable frenzy.
Higher humidity seems to affect me. Not sure if Bundy is humid. Its ginger beer cures (almost) all - the sugar free version of that and its Sarsaparilla are far better than (sugar free) IrnBru. (light squib, stand back)

Sent from my SM-G900I using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

annscullamus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am going to be near Melbourne so on the coast at least. My friends had a very hot 40 most of last Christmas there, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for 30 this time ! Perhaps it will be autumnal !

The interesting thing for was the no doctor had ever mentioned temperature as an issue and I have been diagnosed for 5 years now. I live in north Scotland and am well used to daily cold and rain, but this cold was something much different. Maybe it is the extremes which affect me - however it was very unpleasant and a salutory lesson ! Expensive too, though the insurance were great and paid out within a week of returning to home.