Recently being diagnosed as T 2 and had lots of info already offered to me but carbs any good ones?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi

I'm obviously looking to reduce my carbs as much as possible and already things have improved pretty decently and obviously want to improve even further but obviously new to the whole carbs world of understanding.

So I see all sorts of foods with x amounts of carbs and then they say, 26.8g of which turns to sugars say 3.8g as an example.

So when I'm looking for what carbs I can eat is it just the 'turns to sugars' bit that I need to lookout for for or all carbs?

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome. Look for the total carbs and ignore the "of which sugars" bit.

Reactions: ziggy_w
D

Deleted Account

Unfortunately, carbs are carbs so you need to count all of them.
Not sure about the "of which turn into sugars"; all carbs will be broken down into sugar.

My understanding with type 2 is that you need to avoid spikes of carbs.
The obvious way to achieve this is to reduce the amount of carbs you eat.
There are some carby foods which are absorbed into your blood stream slower than others. For example, unsweetened dark chocolate will be absorbed slower than sweet milk chocolate which will flatten the peak.
Another way to reduce the impact of carbs is maintaining a healthy weight and exercise.

Good luck with your diabetes journey - remember it is a marathon not a sprint.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

I'm obviously looking to reduce my carbs as much as possible and already things have improved pretty decently and obviously want to improve even further but obviously new to the whole carbs world of understanding.

So I see all sorts of foods with x amounts of carbs and then they say, 26.8g of which turns to sugars say 3.8g as an example.

So when I'm looking for what carbs I can eat is it just the 'turns to sugars' bit that I need to lookout for for or all carbs?

Yes, it is the Total Carb amount you need to look at. You can ignore the "of which sugars" because all carbs are sugar once inside the system. If it is more than 10% carbs I would put it back on the shelf (unless your portion size is no more than a small spoonful) The main culprits are bread, rice, potato, pasta, all breakfast cereals, and anything with flour as an ingredient.

Have you got your own blood glucose meter? If not, you really do need one.

Can you tell us which diabetes medications you are on? This makes a difference to any advice we can give in most cases.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't really buy anything packaged. I just use veggies grown above ground, some nuts and pumpkin seeds and avocado as my carb allowance. Not much to think about and no labels to scrutinize. Very satisfying and simple without the need to think. Lol

Yes, the meds you're on can make a difference in our advice.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well I am going to struggle eliminating carbs to the level that some do on here so it's going to be a bit of give n take with the battle of my carbs. I have Aspergers so I am very rigid in my ways so monitoring diabetes is not going to be an issue as I am now monitoring using a freestyle libra flash cgm. Exercise is limited to 2 sessions a week in the pool swimming half a mile (32 lengths) due to mobility issues after breaking my back in the Army in a parachuting accident. At diagnosis I was 141 kg approx, and my last HbA1c results were 72 and three months before that were 52 (not that I was told)

Nearly 3 weeks on I am 135kg, was on metformin but side effects were not brilliant so just started on metformin mr 500mg one in morning for now to see if I cope better. Not a fan of veg to be fair so that is going to be a problem diet wise.

Of the nearly 3 weeks I have been using freestyle libra it's putting my average Glucose/hbA1c at 7.3mmol/L or 43.3mmol/mol so I am obviously doing something right. But still very early doors.

My understanding is I take bloods/ readings before eating then two hours test again. As I say carbs are going to be an issue reducing to the levels like some do here so I try as low as poss and the better carbs.

For instance I have porridge oats for breakfast as I am lead to believe while carbs they are 'good' carbs in the sense they release their sugars slowly and have better fat etc.

What I don't understand (and my practice to be fair have been useless as my reading of 72 was only picked up because I asked for levels for my liver and she saw the raised sugars and said oops should have really told you about them!) is if I have a meal and it does spike to say 14 or 15mmols/L but comes down to the plus two points levels than before eating reading, after two hours, is that ok?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Very well done on your achievements so far. That is excellent. :)

All you can do as regards carbs is to test.

The Libre is notoriously inaccurate in the levels they produce, but do tend to be consistent in the amount they are low or high. Some sensors read high. Some read low. Some read very low. They all differ. Are you doing some comparison checks between your sensor and a finger pricker? This is essential for the first few days so you can see by how much lower/higher it is reading at times when you are low and at times when you are high. You can then average these differences and make a note of your adjusted levels.

I am not a vegetable eater either, but I manage extremely well on very low carb with high fat and as much protein as I want. I eat meat, fish, oily fish, all dairy, tomatoes, mushrooms by the bucket load, eggs by the ton, bacon, seeds. Peas are my only real vegetable apart from when we have a roast and I do indulge in some veggies then. (Peas can be difficult but I'm OK with them - my meter tells me I am)

You will have to test your porridge. For most of us it is a no-no, but you may be lucky. Your meter will tell you.

No spike is good, whatever time it happens, and especially one in double figures. High spikes cause damage. The idea is to have as little variation as you can manage. 2mmol/ higher 2 hours after first bite is the maximum to be honest. It should preferably be lower than that, but while you are learning this may be difficult.

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi @Sunderlandafclad .. and welcome
There is a lot of conflicting and sometimes confusing information around, eg: is porridge good or bad, high carb or low .. whereas it can actually be different for everybody and, as @Bluetit1802 says, the only way to find out for yourself is to test. A key point to take on board, though, is that managing and controlling your diabetes (or pre-diabetes) through exercise, diet and testing your blood glucose seems to be the best way forward for many people. For me, committing to an LCHF (Low Carb High Fat) lifestyle and testing 3-5 times a day seems to be working and you'll find that there is a wealth of info, relevant advice and positive support about LCHF on the forum ..

I have tagged @daisy1 for you and I suggest that you read up on the valuable information that she will soon be sending you. You might also find the discussion on the Low Carb Diet forum helpful .. together with the following Diet Doctor websites, which will give you all the info that you need on what and what not to eat ...
Low Carb Intro and Information and Low Carbs in 60 Seconds

Hope this helps

Hampshire_Lad

I am not a vegetable eater either, but I manage extremely well on very low carb with high fat

Before I was diagnosed as type 2 I was always warned against eating too much fat, but the considered opinion on this forum seems to be go for a low carb high fat diet?
Apologies if this is an ignorant question but wouldn't the high fat aspect be just as unhealthy an option as high carbs?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Before I was diagnosed as type 2 I was always warned against eating too much fat, but the considered opinion on this forum seems to be go for a low carb high fat diet?
Apologies if this is an ignorant question but wouldn't the high fat aspect be just as unhealthy an option as high carbs?

No!

It is high carbs that cause all the problems, from obesity to high BS levels to insulin resistance, to high cholesterol. Good natural fats are good for you. All the latest science says so. The low fat mantra has well and truly been debunked.

This article is published in the Lancet. This is This is the summary at the end

Interpretation
High carbohydrate intake was associated with higher risk of total mortality, whereas total fat and individual types of fat were related to lower total mortality. Total fat and types of fat were not associated with cardiovascular disease, myocardial infarction, or cardiovascular disease mortality, whereas saturated fat had an inverse association with stroke. Global dietary guidelines should be reconsidered in light of these findings.

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(17)32252-3/fulltext?elsca1=tlxpr

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Sunderlandafclad

Hello and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you want and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 250,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a free 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. They're all free.
  • Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why
  • Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No!

It is high carbs that cause all the problems, from obesity to high BS levels to insulin resistance, to high cholesterol. Good natural fats are good for you. All the latest science says so. The low fat mantra has well and truly been debunked.

This article is published in the Lancet. This is This is the summary at the end

Interpretation
High carbohydrate intake was associated with higher risk of total mortality, whereas total fat and individual types of fat were related to lower total mortality. Total fat and types of fat were not associated with cardiovascular disease, myocardial infarction, or cardiovascular disease mortality, whereas saturated fat had an inverse association with stroke. Global dietary guidelines should be reconsidered in light of these findings.

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(17)32252-3/fulltext?elsca1=tlxpr

My lipid profile improved dramatically for ALL markers from adopting a high fat, high saturated fat diet compared to the data in that study . It is criminally shocking that the government is not leading the way in advising people to switch their diets NOW.

B

badcat

Well I am going to struggle eliminating carbs to the level that some do on here so it's going to be a bit of give n take with the battle of my carbs. I have Aspergers so I am very rigid in my ways so monitoring diabetes is not going to be an issue as I am now monitoring using a freestyle libra flash cgm. Exercise is limited to 2 sessions a week in the pool swimming half a mile (32 lengths) due to mobility issues after breaking my back in the Army in a parachuting accident. At diagnosis I was 141 kg approx, and my last HbA1c results were 72 and three months before that were 52 (not that I was told)

Nearly 3 weeks on I am 135kg, was on metformin but side effects were not brilliant so just started on metformin mr 500mg one in morning for now to see if I cope better. Not a fan of veg to be fair so that is going to be a problem diet wise.

Of the nearly 3 weeks I have been using freestyle libra it's putting my average Glucose/hbA1c at 7.3mmol/L or 43.3mmol/mol so I am obviously doing something right. But still very early doors.

My understanding is I take bloods/ readings before eating then two hours test again. As I say carbs are going to be an issue reducing to the levels like some do here so I try as low as poss and the better carbs.

For instance I have porridge oats for breakfast as I am lead to believe while carbs they are 'good' carbs in the sense they release their sugars slowly and have better fat etc.

What I don't understand (and my practice to be fair have been useless as my reading of 72 was only picked up because I asked for levels for my liver and she saw the raised sugars and said oops should have really told you about them!) is if I have a meal and it does spike to say 14 or 15mmols/L but comes down to the plus two points levels than before eating reading, after two hours, is that ok?
Lowering carb intake is an important part of responding to a type 2 diagnosis but there is massive variation in how low your carb intake per meal / per day needs to go - some people go for under 20g per day, others find under 150g per day works - everyone is individual and individual needs can change over time
Finding out what your individual blood sugar reaction to foods by pre and post meal testing is the most important thing to do in order to find out what level of carbs is necessary for your body. Many people, (with and without AS although Those with AS psobably do it better) find keeping spreadsheets showing pre and post meal readings v helpful in working out what food works for them
In terms of porridge - some can eat it ok whereas for others the spikes in BS are too great. Genarelly speaking, Instant porridges (oat so simple etc) will cause a quicker and bigger spike than porridge made with whole oats (because of different fibre counts) , porridge made with milk will produce a bigger spike than porridge made with water ( due to the milk sugars)

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks for all the advice, really chuffed to day as I had my first day of not moving out of my target range of 5.6 - 7.9 mmol/L apart from a slight spike after dinner!

Using freestyle libra so while expensive, it does tell me a or about the foods I eat and their effects on my sugars etc. In three weeks lost 6kg and dropped from 72 to approx 44 diabetes nurse well impressed so that feeling good despite massive changes!

Last edited: